Pre-Game Talk: Call Your Shot - 2019 NHL Draft

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
My hot takes:

1. Just like Detroit was one loss shy of winning the lottery, Bryam will fall one spot short of the Wings, going 5th to LA
2. Detroit takes one of Zegras or Dach
3. Edmonton takes one of Boldy or Broberg
4. Caufield doesn't escape the top 9
5. Podkolzin goes 11th to Philadelphia
6. Spencer Knight goes in the top 16, either Colorado or Florida
7. Alex Newhook gets taken before Payton Krebs
8. Heinola takes a page out of McIsaac's book and falls into our laps at #35

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
My hot takes:

1. Just like Detroit was one loss shy of winning the lottery, Bryam will fall one spot short of the Wings, going 5th to LA
2. Detroit takes one of Zegras or Dach
3. Edmonton takes one of Boldy or Broberg
4. Caufield doesn't escape the top 9
5. Podkolzin goes 11th to Philadelphia
6. Spencer Knight goes in the top 16, either Colorado or Florida
7. Alex Newhook gets taken before Payton Krebs
8. Heinola takes a page out of McIsaac's book and falls into our laps at #35

#8 sounds great to me!

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
If we pick 5th, it would be deemed a 4 player draft. People naturally want what they can't have. And if we pick 7th, it would be called a 6 player draft. We're getting a good player no different than #3 really.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Depends where you value Byram. If you think he's a #1 D, that's a potential huge difference.

We could also reach for Seider or Broberg who both have #1D upside.

If Stevie went for either guy along with our scouts, I would be happy they stuck to their guns. I truly believe they are going with whatever guy tops the board though at least at six, because I think BPA is how the Wings for the most part have always drafted. I expect Yzerman will continue that philosophy.

Fascinated to see who they think it is, thankful the wait is almost over.:laugh:

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If Stevie went for either guy along with our scouts, I would be happy they stuck to their guns. I truly believe they are going with whatever guy tops the board though at least at six, because I think BPA is how the Wings for the most part have always drafted. I expect Yzerman will continue that philosophy.

I’m cautiously optimistic we are going to get a good outcome in a few days here...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
But but but youth development!

Let’s keep the tank in discussion out of this thread. Nothing is guaranteed to have led to the Wings picking somewhere other than where they ended up. Nothing guarantees they win the lottery. Fact of the matter is we are picking #6 in 3 days.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Let’s keep the tank in discussion out of this thread. Nothing is guaranteed to have led to the Wings picking somewhere other than where they ended up. Nothing guarantees they win the lottery. Fact of the matter is we are picking #6 in 3 days.
i'm not going to get into a tank discussion in here. But just gotta say that the lotto numbers are distributed based on draft position so if Detroit finished in NJ's spot they'd be picking #1 instead.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
i'm not going to get into a tank discussion in here. But just gotta say that the lotto numbers are distributed based on draft position so if Detroit finished in NJ's spot they'd be picking #1 instead.

You’re assuming literally everything stays the same, but the Wings lose more games. We don’t know how other variables change by the Wings losing more. We don’t know when they lose more, how they lose more, how it impacts other teams, how the final standings end up.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it usually only captures things from a perspective that you desire it to.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
You’re assuming literally everything stays the same, but the Wings lose more games. We don’t know how other variables change by the Wings losing more. We don’t know when they lose more, how they lose more, how it impacts other teams, how the final standings end up.

Hindsight is 20/20, but it usually only captures things from a perspective that you desire it to.
It's not hindsight at all, I was saying the same thing at the time. You're trying to break it up into semantics but the simple fact is if they had lost more games they would have finished lower in the standings. In a tightly packed group the individual games matter. Two points ahead of 3rd last NJ who are picking 1st, and 3 points ahead of 2nd last LA who are picking 5th. Every win hurt our chances and that was just as true at the time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's not hindsight at all, I was saying the same thing at the time. You're trying to break it up into semantics but the simple fact is if they had lost more games they would have finished lower in the standings. In a tightly packed group the individual games matter. Two points ahead of 3rd last NJ who are picking 1st, and 3 points ahead of 2nd last LA who are picking 5th. Every win hurt our chances and that was just as true at the time.

If they won a couple more games, heck I think just beating the Rangers straight up at the end of the year they are drafting Kakko...

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If they won a couple more games, heck I think just beating the Rangers straight up at the end of the year they are drafting Kakko...
That's true. But when the team is well below .500 for 90% of the season what's a more realistic expectation? They went something like 10-2 (.850) the final 12 games of the season. I wanted more of a regression to the mean. Win streaks are nice. It was great seeing the youth take the ball and run, but wouldn't going 9-2 or 8-2 be much better in the grand scheme of things? We'd have gotten our win streak but also be getting a shot at a better player, potentially the one you consider the best American to come along in a while. That's all. The wins were nice, but it got to the point that it was meaningfully hurting our chances with every one and that's exactly what ended up happening.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Fascinated to see who they think it is, thankful the wait is almost over.:laugh:

I'm still holding out hope that our people see enough in Seider to reach for him at 6; I'm not as high on Broberg but I have less exposure to him as well. I'd be very impressed if we went out on a limb and took a risk to try to land a solid top pair D-man. I think Seider has that potential.

Honestly, I think I will like the player we end up with. I am very high on Turcotte, Zegras and Dach. I've even warmed to Cozens and Podkolzin, both of whom I had some reservations about. At this point I'm eager to find out who is our newest Red Wing and hitch myself to his wagon.

my top ten mock looks like this:

NJ - Hughes
NYR - Kakko
Chicago - Dach
Col - Turcotte
LAK - Byram
DET - Seider
Buf - Zegras
Edm - Cozens
Ana - Podkolzin
Van - Broberg

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I pray for Byram, but I think it's Cozens and partly because I don't think the reaction is going to be that cheerful here.

I also have this feeling that Afanasyev is the 35th pick.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Based on the names being thrown around @ 6, I'd be happy with any one of them. The brain trust actually get to meet these kids and interview them. We might all LOVE player X but management might not after meeting him. We don't know the inside scoop. So basically we have to trust the system. Regardless who they pick, it will be a very good player. Who may or may not turn out to be a future NHL center.

That said, I could see Byram slipping. All these "mock drafts" mean nothing come draft day. It's simply for our entertainment which does help give us a sense, however not an 'etched in stone' blueprint.

What's interesting is whichever team deviates from these "mock draft" loses by consensuses in the 2019 re-draft thread 1 minute after the draft. Because everyone is a pro scout on the forum after reading a 20 word blurb and watching an edited 90 second highlight video on YouTube. Lol.

Trust the system.

That said, I'm a fan of big body, hard working, heavy powerforwards so I like Podkolzin and Cozens based on style of play. I also like Zegras's slick passing and think he could feed Zadina.

Dach fell for me due to inconsistencies and I worry he won't be a driver. He takes games off, we already have a Mantha who is frustrating enough to watch.

I don't like small players, so Caufield is out for me.

Last edited:

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
The more we talk about these scenarios at #6, the more I'm salty the Wings dropped 2 spots, thus having so much less control of their draft fate. There was a 57.7% chance the Wings would get the #5 pick or better. But nooooooooooo...

Ugh don't even get me started Bench.

And then you look and see Chicago picking #3.

f***ing f*** f*** f***!!!!!

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

I hate that type of thinking, the same logic as "if only we scored on that chance in the second period the game would've proceeded to have all the exact same events afterward and we would be going to OT!" Events change events.

Reactions: Oddbob

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I think we’ll have a Zadina situation and Byram will fall to us

As to outside of 1 and 2nd OA it’s anyones guess

The top-10 are so close to one another after the top-2 that I would not consider Byram being available at #6 as falling. I could completely see Turcotte/Dach/Zegras/Cozens being in the 3-5 range, so it's all gonna come down to the needs of the three teams ahead of us. I can actually see Chicago and Colorado going for the centers, but LA will most likely not let Byram slip.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Based on the names being thrown around @ 6, I'd be happy with any one of them. The brain trust actually get to meet these kids and interview them. We might all LOVE player X but management might not after meeting him. We don't know the inside scoop. So basically we have to trust the system. Regardless who they pick, it will be a very good player. Who may or may not turn out to be a future NHL center.

That said, I could see Byram slipping. All these "mock drafts" mean nothing come draft day. It's simply for our entertainment which does help give us a sense, however not an 'etched in stone' blueprint.

What's interesting is whichever team deviates from these "mock draft" loses by consensuses in the 2019 re-draft thread 1 minute after the draft. Because everyone is a pro scout on the forum after reading a 20 word blurb and watching an edited 90 second highlight video on YouTube. Lol.

Trust the system.

That said, I'm a fan of big body, hard working, heavy powerforwards so I like Podkolzin and Cozens based on style of play. I also like Zegras's slick passing and think he could feed Zadina.

Dach fell for me due to inconsistencies and I worry he won't be a driver. He takes games off, we already have a Mantha who is frustrating enough to watch.

I don't like small players, so Caufield is out for me.

I wouldnt be too worried about Dachs consistency anymore. I think the last half of the season he really put that to rest, if he had Manthas compete level he would be ranked closer to 15 than ~top 5. Watching him in the playoffs he was taking it to a level Mantha never has, and he was good in the 2 regular season games I watched to end the year. Now I didnt watch a crazy amount, but a lot of people on here and other places are saying its been put to rest a bit and the games I watched painted the same picture.

Take that for what its worth, I'm no scout but in a season like this where the wings stanley cup is the draft, I watch a lot of these guys play. The only real knock on Dach is his compete level and his skating isnt elite. If he had Larkins work ethic he would be going top 3 instead of falling to 5 or 6. Hes a really, really good prospect.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad