Pre-Game Talk: Call Your Shot - 2019 NHL Draft

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Rumors Det wants to trade #6 for #10 + #40 with Van. Not sure I would unless I feel I can still get one of my targets @10

Who or what is your source on the complete deal? I know the rough idea of 10+40 has been discussed on HF, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate that is the deal we are seeking. Just curious if you've seen something that I haven't.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Rumors Det wants to trade #6 for #10 + #40 with Van. Not sure I would unless I feel I can still get one of my targets @10

Rumor is that Vancouver wants 6, not that Detroit wants to trade it.

I know you'll jump on me for correcting you, but this is a huge difference. Vancouver wants to move up and the 6OA is in their sights. Detroit would move down if the trade made sense.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario

I know you'll jump on me for correcting you, but this is a huge difference. Vancouver wants to move up and the 6OA is in their sights. Detroit would move down if the trade made sense.
J.D.Burke was on TSN 1040 and actually stated that the Red Wings initiated talks with Vancouver.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

You're right that is the rumor. I worded it incorrectly and yes that is a huge difference.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

While Vancouver might be interested in moving up, the rumor has now evolved. The same guy brought new information to light, saying that the Wings were the ones who reached out to Vancouver. TG2V is correct in what he said.

Now WiiM is about as trustworthy of a source as I am (which is worthless), but that's neither here nor there. That's just some average Joe with a blog sharing his opinion.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Oh really? So I was right?

Well, I'm wrong. I don't agree with that idea for the Wings, but if they took it to the table, it must be the rumor.

If they're moving back to 10, I'd want more than 40. I'd want like a Virtanen or something like that. I want someone with more oomph as a prospect than hoping someone falls to a second round pick. That's probably too much for that drop, but I'd rather just take the guy we want at 6, unless it is part of a more massive trade swing that gets us another later first or something.

If we go back to 10 and then just use 35,40, 54, and 60 for ourselves... I'd be very very disappointed.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Oh really? So I was right?
Yeah. According to Burke we like Moritz Seider a lot but think he's too big of a reach at 6 so we're considering moving back to get an extra asset... Personally I'd rather 1.try moving up for Byram or 2. Taking Zegras, Dach or whoever at 6 and then moving back into the mid-late first for a defenseman. But because Seider is German I've barely seen him so maybe I underrate him. The consensus seems to be he's a 15-20 pick so even 10 is early. The NHL scouts may think differently I guess

Reactions: jkutswings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
But I guess Podkolzin at 6 or a guy like Broberg at 10 + something else could be okay.
Guess this is just Yzerman doing all of his due diligence. Not just kicking tires, but getting a plan set up if they don't like the way the board falls.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Well, I'm wrong. I don't agree with that idea for the Wings, but if they took it to the table, it must be the rumor.

If they're moving back to 10, I'd want more than 40. I'd want like a Virtanen or something like that. I want someone with more oomph as a prospect than hoping someone falls to a second round pick. That's probably too much for that drop, but I'd rather just take the guy we want at 6, unless it is part of a more massive trade swing that gets us another later first or something.

If we go back to 10 and then just use 35,40, 54, and 60 for ourselves... I'd be very very disappointed.

If there is mutual interest, I would be seeking potentially 6+60 for 10+Jett Woo; this is assuming Woo's stock has risen from his draft selection last year.

Also, the rumor is also kind of sketchy. Burke basically said that (paraphrasing) "because the Wings have Hronek and Cholowski who look to be up and coming quality NHL defenders, the Wings are pretty strong on the left side, so moving back with interest in Soderstrom or Seider to help the right side."

Obviously this is a misguided thought. Hronek is the best defenseman in the system, and he's on the right side, so take it with a grain of salt.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Wings must not think too favorably on Dach, Cozens, Zegras, etc. being centers if this moving back is a very serious discussion and not just base covering. I feel like Podkolzin looks like their pick based on this discussion and their layout of the picks and they want out of the pick.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Guess this is just Yzerman doing all of his due diligence. Not just kicking tires, but getting a plan set up if they don't like the way the board falls.

I think it's this.

Wings must not think too favorably on Dach, Cozens, Zegras, etc. being centers if this moving back is a very serious discussion and not just base covering.

More than this.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think it's this.

More than this.

What would you consider the worst case scenario of the board falling that would prompt you to want to move back?

Obviously it's weird for me wanting Krebs, but if I'm looking at this based on the consensus or rough idea of consensus, having Byram, Turcotte, and Dach off the board would be the point where I think the team would want to pull the trigger. I just wonder who the hell would want to move up with those three off the board. Broberg and Zegras are the only players I could see people actually moving up for, and I question how much teams would want to do that from the 8-10 range.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What would you consider the worst case scenario of the board falling that would prompt you to want to move back?

Obviously it's weird for me wanting Krebs, but if I'm looking at this based on the consensus or rough idea of consensus, having Byram, Turcotte, and Dach off the board would be the point where I think the team would want to pull the trigger. I just wonder who the hell would want to move up with those three off the board. Broberg and Zegras are the only players I could see people actually moving up for, and I question how much teams would want to do that from the 8-10 range.

I assume for Detroit, the worst top 5 possible would be: Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Dach

Personally I have Cozens ranked #5, so I would just sit there and take him at #6. If the top 5 does go as listed above, I could see them thinking a bunch of guys are equal and moving back to get an asset. But at the same time, if those guys I listed go top 5, I struggle to see who someone would want to move up for. I've recently heard Caufield might slide out of the top 10. Maybe if a team loves Zegras, we have seen some comments from scouts that people think his ceiling is super high.

I really don't know. Trying not too put too much stock into 1 rumor from a person I didn't know existed a week ago (no disrespect, eliteprospects.com does have good stuff)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I think it's this.

More than this.

Probably. I guess Yzerman is just more obvious with his base covering than Holland ever was. Everyone derisively would rip Holland for kicking tires, but I'm sure he did this same stuff. Yzerman is just more matter of fact about it.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I assume for Detroit, the worst top 5 possible would be: Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Dach

Personally I have Cozens ranked #5, so I would just sit there and take him at #6. If the top 5 does go as listed above, I could see them thinking a bunch of guys are equal and moving back to get an asset. But at the same time, if those guys I listed go top 5, I struggle to see who someone would want to move up for. I've recently heard Caufield might slide out of the top 10. Maybe if a team loves Zegras, we have seen some comments from scouts that people think his ceiling is super high.

I really don't know. Trying not too put too much stock into 1 rumor from a person I didn't know existed a week ago (no disrespect, eliteprospects.com does have good stuff)

It makes you question who his source is. His retraction and pivot to the Red Wings being the active search party does feel like whoever the source is doesn't really have a good pulse of the situation.

Caufield deserves to fall out of the top 10. Not because of him personally, but the hype train has just gotten ridiculous. He went from being a mid-late first, to having an exceptional U18 WJC, to people saying "Caufield an option at #3?!?" The jump he made was ridiculous. Talk about one tournament making too much of an impact.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It makes you question who his source is. His retraction and pivot to the Red Wings being the active search party does feel like whoever the source is doesn't really have a good pulse of the situation.

Caufield deserves to fall out of the top 10. Not because of him personally, but the hype train has just gotten ridiculous. He went from being a mid-late first, to having an exceptional U18 WJC, to people saying "Caufield an option at #3?!?" The jump he made was ridiculous. Talk about one tournament making too much of an impact.

My best guess would be Vancouver loves Zegras. Zegras has drawn comparisons to Petterson. They have also been taking some USNTP guys lately. So I would imagine this is more about Vancouver having a plan to get him, as opposed to Detroit wanting to move to 10. But who knows. I'm sure these conversations happen every year, we're just not privy to it.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario

In your estimation how good are the blue-chip centres in this class and who has the biggest ceiling outside of Hughes?
  • Lots of good centres in the draft at the top end, Kirby Dach (Saskatoon Blades, WHL) to me is one player with a very high ceiling.
  • Kirby Dach. A really good group of centres.
  • Trevor Zegras (U.S. U18, NTDP), I think 10 years down the road people will look back and see who was taken before him and just wonder.
  • It’s a solid group and for me outside of Hughes, it would be Trevor Zegras.
  • They are excellent and in abundance this year. If I had to pick one I’d take Trevor Zegras.
  • I would go with Alex Turcotte (U.S. U18, NTDP) and/or Trevor Zegras in terms of ceiling. If Turcotte proves not to be a band-aid, he can become a high-end two-way player. Zegras has shown excellent things with more ice time and I love his shot and grit.
Take it how you'd like, but it's interesting to see that only 1 of 6 scouts has Turcotte with the highest ceiling outside of Hughes.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
If the Wings traded down to 10 with Vancouver it would give them 4 second round picks which of course would be a great chip in any trades they may want to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->