CHI - Byram
COL - Boldy
LA - Dach
ANA - Turcotte
BUF - Newhook
EDM - Cozens
DET - Seider
VAN - Pods

I think the Wings walk away with one of Zegras, Dach or Seider (if they find a taker to trade back)

How would you feel about our first pick being Seider?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Probably not at 6, but I could stomach it if we traded back a bit. It would show a ton of conviction, which should probably be respected. I think I have watched him for a grand total of 20 minutes this year so I may not be the best judge of his game to be honest. I guess the question becomes could you take a defensemen in the top 10 if you did not reasonably expect him to contribute on the PP?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Probably not at 6, but I could stomach it if we traded back a bit. It would show a ton of conviction, which should probably be respected. I think I have watched him for a grand total of 20 minutes this year so I may not be the best judge of his game to be honest. I guess the question becomes could you take a defensemen in the top 10 if you did not reasonably expect him to contribute on the PP?

To answer your last sentence, I would advise against it.

But I also had not seen a second of Seider play prior to the World Championships... so I'm in the dark on him and how he projects. I know that the guys at hockeyprospect.com said they were very encouraged by his play in the WJC B tournament, they felt it highlighted his offensive skills and alleviated the concerns you are alluding to.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Who do you believe the Wings are picking at #6? I think it will be between Dach and Zegras. Going with Zegras.
What do you believe the actual top 10 will look like?
1. Devils - Hughes
2. Rangers - Kakko
3. Hawks - Turcotte
4. Avs - Byram
5. Kings - Dach
6. Wings - Zegras
7. Sabres - Caufield
8. Oilers - Boldy
9. Ducks - Broberg
10. Canucks - Podkolzin
Trades? Ehlers, Risto, Frolik, Zaitsev
Surprise risers and fallers?
Risers: Tomasino, Heinola, Knight, Puistola
Fallers: Podkolzin (even though I think he could go top 10), Kaliyev, McMichael

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
To answer your last sentence, I would advise against it.

But I also had not seen a second of Seider play prior to the World Championships... so I'm in the dark on him and how he projects. I know that the guys at hockeyprospect.com said they were very encouraged by his play in the WJC B tournament, they felt it highlighted his offensive skills and alleviated the concerns you are alluding to.

I can't speak for him, but if I was in his position I would probably try to play a risk-free game to stay in the line up. He isn't going to get benched at his age in that league for not producing offensively, but he would get benched for turning over the puck or missing basic defensive reads.

As to the other question, I could probably get behind it if the player was a really, really high end puck retriever and mover and could at least get shots through with some regularity at 5 x 5. I don't know if that is him or not.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd be shocked if Detroit trades back to 9, Zegras is still there, and the Wings don't take him. Hopefully it's one of Byram/Dach/Zegras/Cozens at 6...but I'll predict Yzerman whizzes in my cornflakes right off the bat and takes Podkolzin.

(secretly hoping this is an anti-jinx)

Reactions: RabidBadger

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
1. Devils - Hughes
2. Rangers - Kakko
3. Hawks - Turcotte
4. Aves - Dach
5. Kings - Byram
6. Wings - Zegras
7. Sabres - Broberg
8. Oilers - Cozens
9. Ducks - Krebs
10. Canucks - Boldy

As for what I want?

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Dach
6. Zegras
7. Cozens
8. Caufield
9. Soderstrom
10. Broberg

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've landed on Dach or Zegras.

Going to be a very interesting draft.

Thats where I am too. Would love Byram, he could fall but its not realistic to expect him there. If hes not there I like Zegras or Dach (splitting hairs between them really) and I would be fine with Cozens but would be wtching Dach and Zegras' development vs Cozens development if that were to happen.

I think how Bob has it would make sense with the teams picking 1-5.

(if LA liked Vilardi, I think they will love Dach)

LA liked Vilardi outside of the top 10 though. Big difference taking a risk there vs other top 5 material prospects. No reason to expect they would've liked Vilardi around 5th overall

Reactions: mantha39

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
It's not the worst idea if you don't love a player at #6 and you're sold Knight is a franchise goalie.

Yeah, I'm not really crazy about anyone available at 6 (assuming Byram is gone). Knight really stood out at the combine and Yzerman's taken a goalie in the first before...

I have a goalie bias though.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm starting to like the idea of a Ras-Z-Z line. Zegras sets up Zadina who snipes by the Ras screen-who cleans up any rebounds and pucks in the boards. It seems too perfect with an elite pigeon, elite passer and elite shooter.

Then that leaves Mantha-Larkin-Bert
And like AA-Veleno-Berggren. I can really see an offense forming.

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
Just a heads up, my player comparables are based on play style and not necessarily potential.

:devils 1. Jack Hughes - Devils can't justify not taking an elite skating future #1 center. #1 Elite Center. Comparable: Patrick Kane. His play-style also often reminds of an around more skilled Clayton Keller.
:rangers2. Kaapo Kakko - Easiest pick of the draft. Elite scoring winger that can drive the play. #1 Elite Winger. Comparable: Barkov as a winger.
:hawks3. Alex Turcotte - Great 2 way center that can learn from Toews. He is a hometown boy but that doesn't factor into why the Hawks see him as the 3rd best player of the draft. Two-Way First Line Center. Comparable: Bergeron/Toews.
:avs4. Kirby Dach - There have been many reports saying that the Avs want a center with the 4th pick and it would be hard for Sakic to pass up a 6 foot 4 center with elite playmaking ability. He has consistency issues but that could be fixed by watching MacKinnon practice and play for a year or two. First Line Center Playmaker. Comparable: Ryan Getzlaf.
:kings5. Bowen Byram - This is the second easiest pick in the draft if it works out like this. Unfortunately for the Wings, LA has a lackluster prospect pool at all positions and that allows them to take the future top pairing puck mover. Top Pairing D-man that Quarterbacks a PP. Comparable: Drew Doughty / Ryan Ellis.
:wings6. Dylan Cozens (I would prefer Zegras) - Unfortunately the Wings watch Byram put on a Kings jersey one spot shy of the #6 selection and have to choose the top player left on their big board. I don't know why, but I have a feeling that the scouting staff would feel more comfortable selecting Cozens over Zegras and Krebs at this position. From my viewings Cozens feels like a player that has a pretty high floor but slightly low-ish ceiling. I anticipate Shawn Horcoff and the player development staff will try to have him learn from another speedy Center in Dylan Larkin. Some scouts (most recently Craig Button) believe Cozens ends up at the wing but I don't think he is any more likely to be a winger than Zegras or many of the other center options left on the board. Strong 1/2 Line Powerful Center. Comparable: Ryan Kesler.
:sabres 7. Trevor Zegras - The Sabres need help everywhere even though they have been living in the basement of the NHL for the better part of the past decade. They take the polarizing and slightly controversial player in Zegras. Some scouting services love Zegras' potential and IQ while others don't see his highlight reel passes translating to the next level. I personally think that Zegras' IQ alone will allow for him to stay down the middle at the next level and find a spot in the Sabres top 6. Zegras has all the raw tools to be a major steal at the #7 slot and has the potential to end up becoming one of the best players taken in this draft. Elite playmaking 1/2 Line Center. Comparable: Mitch Marner as a Center.
:edmonton8. Cole Caufield - This just feels like a natural fit to me. I'm not sure if our old friend Kenny H will pull the trigger but I could very easily see Caufield slotting into the top 6 of the Oilers in the next few years. Caufield and McDavid could be a great tandem down the line if Caufield is able to upkeep his scoring prowess at the University of Wisconsin and eventually in Edmonton. Top Line Scoring Winger. Comparable: DeBrincat/Ovechkin.
:ducks9. Peyton Krebs - Krebs is a workhorse of a player and would be a great prospect to jumpstart the rebuild of the Ducks. I don't think his injury will worry too many teams as he will be back in juniors next year regardless. Not the most highly skilled player but he has the inner drive and well balanced talent to overcome the absence of elite skills. Reliable #2 Center. Comparable: I have a hard time picking one for Krebs but I'll say Scheifele/Barzal.
:nucks10. Matt Boldy - Vancouver boasts one of my favorite prospect pools (I'm still including Pettersson and Hughes in my thoughts) and they have the luxury of adding a player at almost any position here. Boldy is one of the most overlooked top prospects because of J. Hughes, Zegras, Caufield, etc. but he is very skilled in his own right. I can see Boldy fitting nicely alongside of Pettersson in a few year as he has great offensive instincts and finishing ability. Top 6 Scoring Winger, Great on the PP. Comparable: Mikko Rantanen.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad