Confirmed Trade: Calgary will receive a 3rd round pick from Edmonton in the Lucic/Neal trade

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The other 29 teams had no problem with New Jersey keeping their pick after completely breaking the rules when signing kovalchuk.

I’m sure a lot of teams objected to the NJ pick reinstatement. That situation is still more then a little different then creating a new compensatory pick to give to a team.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Maybe im alone but that is the right way to call it. Clearly he would have made it. Edmonton still won the trade by a mile
Normally we agree on things! Not this time buddy. I realize the conditions could have realistically been met, but I don't think pro rating is the way to determine if conditions were met. Especially since the NHL has different standards for pro rating, based on... Their own preferences.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's a ridiculous ruling that should be appealed if possible. Neal hasn't scored since NYE. He slowed down after his hot start in part because of an injury he was playing with and then suffered another injury at the end of January that had him out for over a month. When he did return just before the stoppage he was on the 4th line and his minutes were way down.

Lucic had two goals in his last four games. You could easily argue he was just as likely to close the gap on Neal based on how things were going.

Last edited:

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
The Oilers had 11 games to go. Neal had not scored 2 goals in his last 11 regular season games of this season. Last year, he did score 2 goals in the final 11. The year before that, he did not. For the prognosticators claiming that he would likely have cleared the threshold, recent history tells us that it is far from a foregone conclusion - especially while playing injured and with diminishing minutes.

Reactions: Oryxo

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
The league is in a quirky situation where the play-in games are not playoff games, nor regular season games. The NHL and PA strategically agreed to not resume the regular season and instead introduce the play-in games as a compromise for what could have been all or part of the regular season.

I doubt it sets a precedent for anything other then maybe a future season where the schedule has to be radically readjusted. And even then, this whole return to play has been a one time negotiated deal between the NHL and NHLPA.
I meant specifically for this year.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Condition of the trade was not met. this is a joke. Also, Lucic started scoring right before the shutdown happen. People were so focussed on what Neal was doing, they ignored the fact that part of the deal was that Neal needed to score 10 more goals then Lucic. Lucic outplayed Neal in the second half of the season.

The NHL should have waited till the end of the playoffs to decide this.

Reactions: Oryxo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean it's also possible the Oilers thought it was only a 3rd round pick and wasn't worth making a big shit out of, so they told the NHL they were fine with giving up the pick based on prorated stats :dunno:

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
I mean it's also possible the Oilers thought it was only a 3rd round pick and wasn't worth making a big shit out of, so they told the NHL they were fine with giving up the pick based on prorated stats :dunno:

OIlers are hurting for picks for the next 2 drafts. They traded two 2nds for AA, now owe calgary a 3rd(20 or 21), the lost a 4th for 4 periods of Mike Green, the owe their 21 5th to Ottawa for Ennis

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Pity ruling in favour of the Flames. Wont be a big deal considering it will be like 96th overall.

it'll depend on who's available this year by the time we pick at about #96 or so. if it's so-so, then maybe you give it to them this year, if someone decent falls to us, send them next year's ! kind of crazy the reactions to what will likely be an end of the 3rd round pick though ! o_O

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I didnt expect this to happen but it did.
img_7906_custom-c3a12ee893daa5b4528afc9cd3515efb0df2aebf-s800-c85.jpg

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Thats complete BS and it sets a bad precedenr for all the others conditional deals.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Normally we agree on things! Not this time buddy. I realize the conditions could have realistically been met, but I don't think pro rating is the way to determine if conditions were met. Especially since the NHL has different standards for pro rating, based on... Their own preferences.
I do agree they should have shown the format they used to prorate and had actual math, but im pretty willing to bet most systems would show he makes it

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe im alone but that is the right way to call it. Clearly he would have made it. Edmonton still won the trade by a mile
Are.they also applying prorated stats for bunuses?
Clearly Yamamoto would have hit 40 pts in 40 games.

Clearly Drai would have scored 50 goals.

The conditions were simply not met for that 3rd.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lucic has 8 goals in 63 games while Neal has 19 in 55 games? He was 10 goals ahead of Lucic and was 2 goals shy from the mark? Im not saying the NHL made the right decision, but they made the smart decision.
Sure. So as long as NHL officially declares Neal a 20 goal scorer this year I am good with this. Put 20 in the books. Draisaitl congratulations on back to back 50G season.

If u want to prorate stats then do it for all and make it official.

Fact: conditions were not met!

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As a Flames fan I'm pleasantly surprised. The added bonus is the pick comes from the Edmonton franchise that should have been relegated to the AHL years ago.

That said, a 4th or 5th round pick would have been the more fair solution.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
it'll depend on who's available this year by the time we pick at about #96 or so. if it's so-so, then maybe you give it to them this year, if someone decent falls to us, send them next year's ! kind of crazy the reactions to what will likely be an end of the 3rd round pick though ! o_O
I dont think we can wait that late to decide.. I probably read it wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad