Confirmed Trade: Calgary will receive a 3rd round pick from Edmonton in the Lucic/Neal trade

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Since teams with picks conditional on making the playoffs aren't giving their picks due to making the play-in round, why not just wait for Edmonton's series to conclude. If Neal gets 2 goals in those games, then it wouldn't be a head scratcher as to why the pick was given over.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
S9xkxuD.gif

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wonder if the nhl unilaterally made the decision or if the oilers agreed to it. Oilers have to be happy with the trade result, a 3rd is low value and it keeps a trading partner happy. Doesn’t seem like a hill to die on.
Oilers give zero f***s about keeping the flames happy.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I wonder if this is tied to EDM being the bubble city. Edm agree's to give the 3rd so the League doesn't have any issues with Calgary over this.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
the weirdest thing for me is they actually bothered to come up with new conditions for the Leafs and Carolina's pick for the play in round, and just didn't even bother to do that here. Why not just say something like if he scores 2 goals for Edmonton now Calgary gets the pick?

What new conditions? That pick had a top 10 condition that was unaffected by the new format, and as far as I'm aware still has the same conditions. The only way it's top 10 and we keep it is if it's 1st overall.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Conditional aspects of trades are going to start needing to be more specific. "Third round pick if James Neal ends the season with 291 career goals".

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What new conditions? That pick had a top 10 condition that was unaffected by the new format, and as far as I'm aware still has the same conditions. The only way it's top 10 and we keep it is if it's 1st overall.
I was talking about the conditions on the Campbell trade for the Leafs. Originally it was if Campbell wins 6 games and the Leafs make the playoffs, the 3rd round pick changes to a 2nd. Now it's if the Leafs win against Columbus and Campbell wins 2 games. Carolina's pick in their trade for Vatanen also had the condition updated for the play in round. That seems pretty reasonable, since it's nobody's fault the season ended so abruptly. I just don't understand why the league just decided Neal was close enough and therefore the conditions were met, rather than doing the same thing

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I was talking about the conditions on the Campbell trade for the Leafs. Originally it was if Campbell wins 6 games and the Leafs make the playoffs, the 3rd round pick changes to a 2nd. Now it's if the Leafs win against Columbus and Campbell wins 2 games. Carolina's pick in their trade for Vatanen also had the condition updated for the play in round. That seems pretty reasonable, since it's nobody's fault the season ended so abruptly. I just don't understand why the league just decided Neal was close enough and therefore the conditions were met, rather than doing the same thing

I didn't realize the league had ruled on those other trades as well, thanks :)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's weird they would do this. Doesn't it set a precedent of pro-rating stats performance bonuses?

The league is in a quirky situation where the play-in games are not playoff games, nor regular season games. The NHL and PA strategically agreed to not resume the regular season and instead introduce the play-in games as a compromise for what could have been all or part of the regular season.

I doubt it sets a precedent for anything other then maybe a future season where the schedule has to be radically readjusted. And even then, this whole return to play has been a one time negotiated deal between the NHL and NHLPA.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Since teams with picks conditional on making the playoffs aren't giving their picks due to making the play-in round, why not just wait for Edmonton's series to conclude. If Neal gets 2 goals in those games, then it wouldn't be a head scratcher as to why the pick was given over.

As far as I’m aware, those play-in round games aren’t Regular Season games.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Probably done due to a pretty unique situation with the lockdown from COVID. That's probably the reasoning here. We will see if they give a statement tomorrow or not.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The Canucks will lose to Minnesota, win 1st overall in the draft, and will have to surrender the pick to New Jersey, because they "would have gotten to the playoffs" if not for Covid shortening their season.

Yeah, it's a third round pick, but what a bush league move.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bond

May 10, 2012
this is just so stupid as a ruling and sets a bad precedent. In what world does it make sense for a team to give up a conditional pick for conditions that weren't met?
The precedent would only be for seasons ended early by a pandemic, not a common one.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think we should have it, but I'll take it I guess. I do think Neal would have made it, but he didn't, so we should not have the pick. At best I was thinking the league might make Edmonton give us a 4th instead to try to split the middle, but what can you do. NHL is gonna NHL

Though imagine if this picks ends up a superstar randomly though lol.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Meh he was on pace for 21 goals even after his injury.

I thought the flames would get a compensatory pick instead so I am surprised. Just don’t think it’s as much of an outrage as people are making it out to be

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think we should have it, but I'll take it I guess. I do think Neal would have made it, but he didn't, so we should not have the pick. At best I was thinking the league might make Edmonton give us a 4th instead to try to split the middle, but what can you do. NHL is gonna NHL

Though imagine if this picks ends up a superstar randomly though lol.
What they should of just done to please everyone is give calgary or edmonton a compensatory pick.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Strange stuff. James Neal was so beat up that he was unlikely to hit 21 goals the way he was going (Bob Stauffer speculated that he was playing through two significant injuries when the season was paused). But I'd wager they probably got the Oilers to agree to this because it's "just" a 3rd round pick. In the scheme of things, this isn't nearly as bad as Pete Chiarelli for Jack Studnicka was/will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad