Confirmed Trade: Calgary will receive a 3rd round pick from Edmonton in the Lucic/Neal trade

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Best part about this is, the 3rd round pick is probably already the most valuable asset involved in this trade because no team in the league would trade a 3rd rounder for either Neal or Lucic.

Just imagine if the Flames pick an NHL player with that 3rd rounder? Turns into a landslide victory.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
Best part about this is, the 3rd round pick is probably already the most valuable asset involved in this trade because no team in the league would trade a 3rd rounder for either Neal or Lucic.

Just imagine if the Flames pick an NHL player with that 3rd rounder? Turns into a landslide victory.

Neal and Lucic are both negative value, of course it's the most valuable asset. You could also say any minor trade with a late pick that turns into a decent NHLer was a 'landslide victory'.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Neal and Lucic are both negative value, of course it's the most valuable asset. You could also say any minor trade with a late pick that turns into a decent NHLer was a 'landslide victory'.

Yep. 3rd rounder is not a "late pick" though. Great call NHL.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Sure. So as long as NHL officially declares Neal a 20 goal scorer this year I am good with this. Put 20 in the books. Draisaitl congratulations on back to back 50G season.

If u want to prorate stats then do it for all and make it official.

Fact: conditions were not met!

Condition was met, condition wasn't met, did Neal have 10 or more goals than Lucic? There were 2 conditions on the pick, Neal met 1 and was 2 goals shy of the other condition, you really want to get into this? Cause im not apart of the group that made the decision, if you believe they should prorate all stats, then why are you not on the boards? Oh yeah cause you obviously don't know what you're talking about, now let me put this clear, i said i don't think they made the RIGHT decision, but they made the SMART decision, take it however you want, the NHL and PA made up their minds, that's the way it goes, if you don't like it go be on the board and do it yourself, im not a pro, but the way they handle it was professional, if you honestly dont think Neal could of scored 2 goals in what 10-15 games, how did he score 19 in 55 games? Cause he's a GOAL SCORER, they believed he could have reached the 2 extra goals and they're professionals, take it up with them, quit your crying and go get the next 1st Overall pick

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
That’s bullcrap. It sets a precedent. Who knows if he got back & suffered a season ending injury.

The whole situation sucks for teams involved in this scenario. Whatever the decision is, it is going to piss a team but you’d be better serve to make the decision that doesn’t leave interpretation (pro-rated stats) vs reality (criteria not met, no compensation).

It is a sloppery road NHL is going in.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Condition was met, condition wasn't met, did Neal have 10 or more goals than Lucic? There were 2 conditions on the pick, Neal met 1 and was 2 goals shy of the other condition, you really want to get into this? Cause im not apart of the group that made the decision, if you believe they should prorate all stats, then why are you not on the boards? Oh yeah cause you obviously don't know what you're talking about, now let me put this clear, i said i don't think they made the RIGHT decision, but they made the SMART decision, take it however you want, the NHL and PA made up their minds, that's the way it goes, if you don't like it go be on the board and do it yourself, im not a pro, but the way they handle it was professional, if you honestly dont think Neal could of scored 2 goals in what 10-15 games, how did he score 19 in 55 games? Cause he's a GOAL SCORER, they believed he could have reached the 2 extra goals and they're professionals, take it up with them, quit your crying and go get the next 1st Overall pick

After Neal came back from injury he was getting 4th line ice time while splitting PP time with Chaisson. There's to many variables to consider. He could have went on a hot streak and scored a bunch of goals, he could have got injured and missed the rest of the season. Lucic could have got hot and closed the gap. End of the day a 3rd round pick is a small price to pay to get rid of Lucic's contract and Neal's hot start helped Edmonton go 8-1-1 to start the season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Go on what board? Not sure what you are.talking about.
Also Neal scored 19 in 71GP by oilers and not 55.
He was injured at.the time of stoppage and may not have playef anymore NHL games rest of the way.
You also have to factor in the firdt condition and prorate Lucic's scoring.

This was not smart nor the right decision. Oh well...we move on!

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
Wait, does no one here know they are actually pro-rating performance bonuses by a factor of 70/82?

"If a player meets the minimum games played thresholds only after the threshold is prorated by a factor of 70/82, he shall receive the Bonus amount prorated by a factor of 70/82."

Once they began prorating stats for bonuses, the pick was a given. Based on this information, I was guessing the Flames would receive a 4th round pick at worst. This is better though :)

*Edit: I could be misinterpreting this so please correct me if I am wrong which is more than likely haha

**Double Edit: I think I may be wrong and this is probably only the prorating of games played bonuses. Oops

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That’s bullcrap. It sets a precedent. Who knows if he got back & suffered a season ending injury.

The whole situation sucks for teams involved in this scenario. Whatever the decision is, it is going to piss a team but you’d be better serve to make the decision that doesn’t leave interpretation (pro-rated stats) vs reality (criteria not met, no compensation).

Probably more an indication that these kinds of nutty conditions shouldn't be allowed.

Bond

May 10, 2012

LOL. I don't get all these slippery slope arguments. The season was cut short due to an unforeseen event, for it to really set a precedent you have to assume this is going to happen a lot.

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
To all the people whining, in the last 10 years, the best player the oilers drafted in the 3rd round is Jujhar Khaira. It really wont hurt them.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think we should have it, but I'll take it I guess. I do think Neal would have made it, but he didn't, so we should not have the pick. At best I was thinking the league might make Edmonton give us a 4th instead to try to split the middle, but what can you do. NHL is gonna NHL

Though imagine if this picks ends up a superstar randomly though lol.

Please turn into a player that plays his best games vs the Oilers :laugh:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

?

COVID happened. They are doing the best they can.

Reactions: uncleben

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Thats complete BS and it sets a bad precedenr for all the others conditional deals.

kind of reminds me of the pick the Bruins got when we brought in Chia ! they didn't even want the guy anymore anyways !! :facepalm:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
it'll depend on who's available this year by the time we pick at about #96 or so. if it's so-so, then maybe you give it to them this year, if someone decent falls to us, send them next year's ! kind of crazy the reactions to what will likely be an end of the 3rd round pick though ! o_O

Lol looking like closer to a 2nd

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
I love all the salty oiler fans here. I mean is giving up a 3rd round pick to be bounced out of play in rounds and get 1oa pick again really that bad??

Bettman: Look just give Calgary the 3rd to shut them up and when you guys lose your play in round we will give you first overall. Sound good?

Oilers Brass: Make it 2 1st OA and you have yourself a deal.

You heard it here first folks. Book it. Oilers have a 97% chance to win 1st OA.

Edit: spelling

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad