Calgary vs Edmonton: Biggest rivalry right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Buffalo v. Toronto

Eichel vs. Matthews
Nylander vs. Nylander

Going to be nice to see this revival once both teams are regulars in the playoffs.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Overall there aren't any really great rivalries in the NHL right now. Nothing that makes a random game in early December a must watch game to see what craziness ensues. The last rivalry to reach that level was Montreal/ Boston a few years ago, then it was the Pens/ Flyers rivalry before that. The California teams came close, but couldn't get there and Pens/ Caps had too many skill players to get out of hand.

Calgary/ Edmonton seems like it is the most likely to reach that level one day, but its not right now, and probably won't be for another season or so. Toronto/ Buffalo could maybe get there too, but I'm not as optimistic.

Based on this thread it seems like Anaheim versus the entire Pacific division is a great rivalry and as a Ducks fan I approve! BTW Anaheim/ LA is still the biggest in that division for now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not really much of a rivalry to be honest. Flames beat up on the Oilers pre-McDavid but since McDavid it's been a different story and last year was a full-on clean sweep of the Flames.

Not only that but the Flames aren't a very physical team at all so the games aren't terribly intense really, lots of Oilers feast on the Flames with several guys including McDavid putting up sky high point totals against them last year. Days of Iginla, Regher, and even Phaneuf mixing it up are long gone now too, no one on the Flames really wants to engage with a Lucic or Kassian unless they absolutely have to.

It has a loooooooong ways to go before it's the 80s BOA or even some of the 90s match ups that some people want to hype it as. I don't think some guys like Gaudreau really give much of a crap about it either, it's just another game on the calendar, he didn't seem to be the least bit bothered last year about losing to the Oilers 4 straight times. Tkachuk seemed like the only guy that really give much of a hoot.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The only interesting thing about Calgary games is being able to write a W on the calendar when games against them come up, months in advance.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think there's a bigger rivalry and more hatred between 2 teams/rivals than these 2 right now.

Even on these boards between posters and comments of the fanbases, you can tell the dislike is real.

I would think that Washington and Pittsburgh would have something to say about that...

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
On the ice, I think currently there's more beef Calgary v LA and Canucks than Calgary v Oilers. But when the Matthew Tkachuk friendship tour starts up again... who knows what the end result will be?

But again, the rivalry is probably heating up. Pressure wise, someone just shook up a can of beer. As this season starts, it's like taking that can and putting it into the microwave. Sooner or later, it will burst and cause havoc.

Agreed, those 3 teams are more on a similar level.

Not even close. The Oilers just barely had one good year.

One.

And we've been going back and forth, making and missing the playoffs. So, both teams have a lot to prove and to actually continue being good. I certainly believe it'll heat up in the next few years.

Back and forth making the playoffs? :huh: Have you only been a Flames fan for 3 years?

Let me refresh your memory of the Flames successes in the past decade...
2007/8 - lost in Round 1
2008/9 - lost in Round 1
2009/10 - missed playoffs
2010/11 - missed playoffs
2011/12 - missed playoffs
2012/13 - missed playoffs
2013/14 - missed playoffs
2014/15 - lost in 2nd Round
2015/16 - missed playoffs
2016/17 - swept in 1st Round

Hardly back and forth missing/making the playoffs.

We all know the Oilers history during the past decade... we have been worse than the Flames no doubt... but the Flames and Oilers have the same number of playoff series wins over the last 10 years.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Agreed, those 3 teams are more on a similar level.

Back and forth making the playoffs? :huh: Have you only been a Flames fan for 3 years?

Let me refresh your memory of the Flames successes in the past decade...
2007/8 - lost in Round 1
2008/9 - lost in Round 1
2009/10 - missed playoffs
2010/11 - missed playoffs
2011/12 - missed playoffs
2012/13 - missed playoffs
2013/14 - missed playoffs
2014/15 - lost in 2nd Round
2015/16 - missed playoffs
2016/17 - swept in 1st Round

Hardly back and forth missing/making the playoffs.

We all know the Oilers history during the past decade... we have been worse than the Flames no doubt... but the Flames and Oilers have the same number of playoff series wins over the last 10 years.

:laugh: 4/10 is pretty much back and forth. Thanks for providing evidence. But don't worry, it doesn't make us a better team... look at all of those first round exits.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
:laugh: 4/10 is pretty much back and forth. Thanks for providing evidence. But don't worry, it doesn't make us a better team... look at all of those first round exits.

Missing the playoffs 5 times in a row and 6 out of the last 8 years is not "back and forth".

Unless you are only taking about the last 3 seasons of course.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Missing the playoffs 5 times in a row and 6 out of the last 8 years is not "back and forth".

Unless you are only taking about the last 3 seasons of course.

Whatever gets you guys to sleep :laugh:. I can easily say the last 5 seasons: 2 in, 3 out. Or even the last 4, 2/2. Is that not back and forth? That's basically what I was referring to, but of course the Oiler fans must include the 5 straight playoff misses so that what LL said is not true!

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Yeah I think it is one of the biggest. As a Flames fan it's fun seeing them battle it out. I hope the Flames do better this year and win at least one game and hopefully win the season series. I think they really need to get physical on McDavid and try to cleanly injury him by dishing out a huge clean hit on him or something otherwise it will be tough for them to win against the Oilers. Of course I'm not hoping this as it would make them look really bad. Maybe Tkachuk could be the guy they send out to take out McDavid out and takes the suspension. If anyone on the Flames is capable of doing that it would be him.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah I think it is one of the biggest. As a Flames fan it's fun seeing them battle it out. I hope the Flames do better this year and win at least one game and hopefully win the season series. I think they really need to get physical on McDavid and try to cleanly injury him by dishing out a huge clean hit on him or something otherwise it will be tough for them to win against the Oilers. Of course I'm not hoping this as it would make them look really bad. Maybe Tkachuk could be the guy they send out to take out McDavid out and takes the suspension. If anyone on the Flames is capable of doing that it would be him.

Always nice to see those classy Flames fans come out.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
I just don't see Edmonton improving with the cap and they are not the Pens or Hawks they don't draft well after the first round.Calgary will be the better team in the long run.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
It's more with fans than players. Althought I can't stand cheap shot/slew-foot masters artists like Tkachuk. Heck, even Little Jhonny got in on it the last game the Oilers spanked them. Tried to take out Drai with a clear slew foot.

Don't really "Hate" other players on their team.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
Did you forget the decade of dominance the Flames had over the Oilers or something? The Oilers right now are in a similar situation the Flames were in 2015, coming off a 2nd round defeat against the Ducks and having to temper wild expectations. Eberle is gone now and he torched the Flames over the season series and the Flames are a completely different team now with Wideman gone and the additions of Hamonic and Smith. I think it'll be a close series this coming year and I think the Flames will come out on top with the improved overall depth.

Oiler fans are always made fun of when the older ones mention "5 cups", etc. Then Flames fans always say "Do you not remember the last x years?"

Live in the here and now. Not the past.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
I just don't see Edmonton improving with the cap and they are not the Pens or Hawks they don't draft well after the first round.Calgary will be the better team in the long run.

They are getting up against the cap because their top 2 players are paid like top 10 NHL players. That's a good thing to build around. Different level than the Flames top players.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Always nice to see those classy Flames fans come out.

Would agree... horrible post. Equivalent to saying it was cool for guys to go for headshots on Crosby or Cooke to slash Karlson with his skate.

McDavid is one of the best players in the league. Hockey in general suffers if he gets long term injuries. As much as I "hate" the Oil he is a special player.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
They are getting up against the cap because their top 2 players are paid like top 10 NHL players. That's a good thing to build around. Different level than the Flames top players.

McDavid I would agree. If Drai can centre a dominant second line and produce like he did last year then I would agree on him. But at this stage too early to say that he is on a different level then Johnny and Monahan.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
The hockey in the Ducks Oilers playoff series was pretty intense.
The commentary on the boards here was more insanity than rivalry.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The hockey in the Ducks Oilers playoff series was pretty intense.
The commentary on the boards here was more insanity than rivalry.
I think that is more of an Anaheim thing more than a ducks vs oilers thing... we play every playoff series intense. You def earn a playoff victory when you play Anaheim... only team that ever takes us out in under 7 games is Nashville -.-. I cant recall a ducks series that wasn't intense all over the ice every game.

I can see the oilers/ducks becoming pretty significant the next couple years tho... id have them as our 5th biggest right now, I have La, SJ, Nashville, Calgary ahead of them for sure. But I imagine ducks and oil are going to be heated during the regular season this year, and potentially a date in the playoffs.

As for kings and ducks idk if id consider it a hate rivalry, its more of a big team winning cups, and a team that basically built its identity to take them out, both are big physical teams so occasionally things going to get a lil wild

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I guess you really have high hopes for Hamonic and Smith. I don't see their additions drastically changing anything much. McDavid and the Oilers pretty much had their way with the Flames last year.

When Stone replaced Wideman, the Flames won 10 straight. Now with the addition of Hamonic, this could be an even better defense. Elliott was horrendous at the beginning and in playoffs, Smith even as a slight upgrade will help. The Flames also out paced the Oilers in wins/points after the first month once they adjusted to their new coach and their shut down line and 1st pair on defense was formed. It's not just adding Hamonic and Smith, it's the fact that this team looked like an upper echelon team for a good chunk of the season and has since made improvements going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad