Calgary vs Edmonton: Biggest rivalry right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't think there's a bigger rivalry and more hatred between 2 teams/rivals than these 2 right now.

Even on these boards between posters and comments of the fanbases, you can tell the dislike is real.

Obviously, they have always been rivals, but it seems like it's been elevated to the next step the past year or two. McDavid and Edmonton ascending to a playoff team explain it?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah I'd say it's the rivalry to watch. Both teams are becoming good at the same time, and there's a big historical dislike there. It'll be sort of like Pittsburgh-Philly in the sense that one team will clearly be better, but when they play they'll throw structure out the window because they hate each other so much

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As a flames fan, I hate Vancouver more.

That 2015 playoff series was bitter and nasty but it seems like it would be hard to hate Vancouver now as they are so irrelevant at this point. Not to say you can't hate a bad/irrelevant team but it definitely lessens the rivalry and intensity.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah I'd say it's the rivalry to watch. Both teams are becoming good at the same time, and there's a big historical dislike there. It'll be sort of like Pittsburgh-Philly in the sense that one team will clearly be better, but when they play they'll throw structure out the window because they hate each other so much

Yes, it's amazing to watch when that happens. The perfect example is 2012 Flyers beating that Penguins team in the playoffs and taking them completely off their game forcing them to play theirs.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
I would wait until they play in the playoffs at least once first. They haven't played in the playoffs since 1991.

To me thats how you build hate to a team.

I absolutely hated the Dallas Stars for 10-15 years because of their playoff rivalry with the Oilers.

As a neutral fan, I really like the rivalry between Montreal and Boston. They often play in the playoffs and its always a great series.

SabreOil

Jul 23, 2013
Flames and Oilers don't have a rivalry right now and won't until they meet in meaningful games ala both teams are in a playoff race/in the actual playoffs

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Between the fanbases maybe, due to proximity and history. The teams themselves probably need a playoff round before the hate gets hyped. Still hate the Ducks more, though the BOA should be a fun one this year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would say it will be alive and well this season which is good for ALL Hockey fans.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Fan base. Yes.

On the ice. No. We hate the Ducks. Even the Kings and Flames is more of a rivalry right now.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd say it's a tie between the rivalry with Anaheim. Both are pretty heated right now.

Calgary and LA is starting to build too. Flames/Canucks is kind of dead currently.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Flames are the least of the Oilers concerns. Swept them rather easily last season. Hate is definitely real but until they become a good hockey team the rivalry won't be as big.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think there's a bit of disdain between the two fan bases which hinge on proximity as well as historical references. However, the rivalry isn't even in full swing yet. This current "rivalry" iteration is like two guys getting into each other's grills before an MMA fight.

Once the two teams meet in the playoffs, nastiness that has not been witnessed in a long, long time will be unleashed on everything. It will be absolute chaos. Some will love it, some will wail as if pandora's box has been unleashed upon their universe. IMO, at its peak, this rivalry may sit in the same echelons as QC vs Montreal. I for one, cannot wait till QC gets a team again.

I honestly do not believe BOA is the biggest rivalry as of now. IMO, there are many others that easily match or exceed it (ie: Ottawa v Toronto; Montreal v Boston etc.). But if this rivalry gets in full swing, it will leave the current rivalries in the dust.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Maybe in terms of fanbases. Oilers fans are just puke-worthy with some of their Flames-related posts. There's no fan base that annoys me more with their nonsense (I know same can be said with some Flames fans).

In terms of actual hockey play? Not sure. I used to hate the Canucks way more but now they're irrelevant. The Ducks I still despise and I would probably consider them our biggest rival at the moment.. The hatred between the Flames and Kings is clearly brewing but that's mostly because Tkachuk called dibs on making Doughty his b****.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Its bigger on here between their fans than it is on the ice atm. Leafs/Jets even though Matthews/Laine was last year are still at each others throats a lot lol.

Flyers/Devils should be a good one soon, at least on here.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
On the ice, I think currently there's more beef Calgary v LA and Canucks than Calgary v Oilers. But when the Matthew Tkachuk friendship tour starts up again... who knows what the end result will be?

But again, the rivalry is probably heating up. Pressure wise, someone just shook up a can of beer. As this season starts, it's like taking that can and putting it into the microwave. Sooner or later, it will burst and cause havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad