Calgary vs Edmonton: Biggest rivalry right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Flames are the least of the Oilers concerns. Swept them rather easily last season. Hate is definitely real but until they become a good hockey team the rivalry won't be as big.

To be fair, the Oilers aren't a good team either. They're one phenom player surrounded by a few good ones, a bunch of mediocre ones, and a great goalie. Good luck affording those few good players though with those Russell and Lucic contracts on the books.

This thread will be a productive one, I'm sure of it.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty sure both alberta teams hate Anaheim more then each other at least on ice.... but thatll change with a playoff matchup for sure.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Flames are the least of the Oilers concerns. Swept them rather easily last season. Hate is definitely real but until they become a good hockey team the rivalry won't be as big.

Did you forget the decade of dominance the Flames had over the Oilers or something? The Oilers right now are in a similar situation the Flames were in 2015, coming off a 2nd round defeat against the Ducks and having to temper wild expectations. Eberle is gone now and he torched the Flames over the season series and the Flames are a completely different team now with Wideman gone and the additions of Hamonic and Smith. I think it'll be a close series this coming year and I think the Flames will come out on top with the improved overall depth.

Subbaman

Character win.
Aug 22, 2012
Montréal, QC
People here tend to mix hatred between fans and hatred between teams/players.

I don't think this ''rivalry'' comes close to many others on the ice.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
To be fair, the Oilers aren't a good team either. They're one phenom player surrounded by a few good ones, a bunch of mediocre ones, and a great goalie. Good luck affording those few good players though with those Russell and Lucic contracts on the books.

This thread will be a productive one, I'm sure of it.

With posts like yours, it definitely will be.

Bookmarking this post. :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The hatred amongst the fans is real

I really hate on the ice the Coyotes nearly as much for some reason. The obstruction from the Cali teams **** me off.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Did you forget the decade of dominance the Flames had over the Oilers or something? The Oilers right now are in a similar situation the Flames were in 2015, coming off a 2nd round defeat against the Ducks and having to temper wild expectations. Eberle is gone now and he torched the Flames over the season series and the Flames are a completely different team now with Wideman gone and the additions of Hamonic and Smith. I think it'll be a close series this coming year and I think the Flames will come out on top with the improved overall depth.

I guess you really have high hopes for Hamonic and Smith. I don't see their additions drastically changing anything much. McDavid and the Oilers pretty much had their way with the Flames last year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Not even close. The Oilers just barely had one good year.

One.

And we've been going back and forth, making and missing the playoffs. So, both teams have a lot to prove and to actually continue being good. I certainly believe it'll heat up in the next few years.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
As a flames fan, I hate Vancouver more, and Anaheim.

Edmonton having good players doesn't immediately rekindle the rivalry. Despite how many flames bash threads have started lately haha.

As an Oiler fan I hate Vancouver and Anaheim more as well. With Calgary there is a level of respect because we're been rivals for so long and had some good Wars without the cheap stuff that teams like Vancouver and Anaheim are known for. It's great to see both teams getting good at the same time.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan I hate Vancouver and Anaheim more as well. With Calgary there is a level of respect because we're been rivals for so long and had some good Wars without the cheap stuff that teams like Vancouver and Anaheim are known for. It's great to see both teams getting good at the same time.

This, we weren't to far off of a playoff matchup between EDM and CAL last year. That would immediately rebuild the rivalry to the max again.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Not even close. The Oilers just barely had one good year.

One.

And we've been going back and forth, making and missing the playoffs. So, both teams have a lot to prove and to actually continue being good. I certainly believe it'll heat up in the next few years.

Barely 1 good year? Really? They Oilers got 103 points and made the 2nd round. The Flames haven't got more than 103 points since 1988-1989. They did have exactly 103 points in 2006 though, 12 years ago.

The Flames haven't got more than 95 points and made the 2nd round since they won the cup in 1989.

With that being said, I do agree that they will get better but you sure do look one sided when comparing the two teams. They have both been awful, the Flames not quite as awful as the Oilers. Still though, they haven't reached the same peak that the Oilers reached last year in a very, very long time.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Barely 1 good year? Really? They Oilers got 103 points and made the 2nd round. The Flames haven't got more than 103 points since 1988-1989. They did have exactly 103 points in 2006 though, 12 years ago.

The Flames haven't got more than 95 points and made the 2nd round since they won the cup in 1989.

With that being said, I do agree that they will get better but you sure do look one sided when comparing the two teams. They have both been awful, the Flames not quite as awful as the Oilers. Still though, they haven't reached the same peak that the Oilers reached last year in a very, very long time.

Barely as in they just barely made the playoffs, unless you're trying to forget the 10 consecutive years in which they didn't.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Barely as in they just barely made the playoffs, unless you're trying to forget the 10 consecutive years in which they didn't.
What are you talking about? They comfortably made the playoffs. Almost won the division.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What are you talking about? They comfortably made the playoffs. Almost won the division.

My goodness, got to spell this out for you guys. Chill out, I'm talking "barely" as in you just made the playoffs this year. I'm not referring to points.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My goodness, got to spell this out for you guys. Chill out, I'm talking "barely" as in you just made the playoffs this year. I'm not referring to points.

You guys have been nothing special the last 8 years. Get off your high horse.

We're better now and going forward.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Right now, on the ice, it's definitely one of the top three rivalries in the NHL. For the fan bases I'd have to say it's number 1.

No the Flames didn't play well against the Oilers last season going 0-7. So on the positive side there's only room to improve.

The bad blood between the franchise's doesn't need the playoffs. It's engrained into each side as we were children. From the CFL, NHL, in amateur sports, and other segments of society, the rivalry will always be there.

Yes our decade of darkness was pretty bad, but so was the 7 years for the Flames from the mid 90's to 2003. It would be beneficial for the whole province if both teams got back to dominating like the 80's. The reputation of the Oilers from then everyone knows. The Flames record was just as impressive come the end of that decade.

The on ice rivalry isn't like it was then, but it's still one of the best in the game.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
It's just starting. Edmonton was irrelevant for so long. CGY was better for a long time. Now the teams are more even. Makes for more interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad