Calgary vs Edmonton: Biggest rivalry right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
As a Canucker living in Alberta...I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THESE 2 TEAMS TO MEET IN THE PLAYOFFS! :vhappy:

Their's a special hatred that these 2 fan bases have for each other and you can see its been building over the last few seasons. Calgary has owned Edmonton on the ice for a lot of years but that's flip flopped and it's Edmonton's turn to dominate on the ice. Edmonton fans couldn't be more happier and Calgary fans couldn't be more pissed :laugh:

Is a awesome rivalry and I'll be road trip'n when these 2 meet in the playoffs because the hockey on the ice will be great and the shenanigans/chirping in the stands will be a spectacle :fight:

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
McDavid had the 3rd highest ppg in 15-16. Not sure why you're discrediting his so called 18 year old season and what narrative are you talking about? I actually said the Oilers had a "great season." I'm literally just stating a fact here that the Oilers lost their 3rd highest scorer who had 7 points against the Flames. So the Oilers will likely have to find someone to replicate those numbers, but it sounds like it'll be easy according to you as he is "useless."

I am not discreding McDavids 18 year old season. I have no idea where you would get that. :help:
I was only saying that it doesn't matter. I still don't know why you brought it up because its completely irrelevant. It is ancient history now and makes no sense in this discussion. The team and McDavid are both miles better. How you think I was discrediting his season is beyond me.

Funny that you're talking about the Oilers dominance

I was only replying to what you said
McDavid's Oilers likely won't be sweeping or "steamrolling" the Flames every year like many have said in this thread

And yes the Oilers did dominate them last year and that is why others feel that they will continue to going forward. I personally think they will split the season series and both make the playoffs. If they play each other it will likely go the distance IMO. I was only pointing out why its not so hard to believe why others feel that they will continue to beat them going into next season. They did sweep them last year so I can appreciate their position.

because I remember the Flames sweeping the Oilers in 2015 and dominating them over the last decade. I mean, I remember the Flames legitimately beating the Oilers so bad in the final BOA at Rexall that the fans booed the team off the ice.

You should stop bringing up the past. Flames fans don't like it when Oiler fans bring up the past. :stanley::stanley::stanley::stanley::stanley:

I've already made my points regarding why I cherry picked that particular point in time so I won't say it again, if you can't decipher it then you'll just have to read it again or however many times it'll take.

No matter how many times its explained or read its still pure garbage. Cherry picking stats to only show one side is absurd. The season is 82 games and every team struggles at times. Stop only counting the games that you want to count.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I hate Anaheim more as a team than I do Calgary. Other than Tkachuk I can't say that any one Flames player pisses me off as much as the likes of Kesler and Getzlaf in the playoffs.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I hate Anaheim more as a team than I do Calgary. Other than Tkachuk I can't say that any one Flames player pisses me off as much as the likes of Kesler and Getzlaf in the playoffs.

Defniitely Anaheim is at the top of the list.

1. Anaheim

2. Calgary/Van

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Yep, Anaheim hatred is far beyond Calgary, but they didn't even put up a fight last season, expect it'll be the same this coming season.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
10 straight wins wasn't even the most impressive accomplishment to me. It was the fact that they were 4th best in wins in the entire league after their mess of a first month. They also were 3rd best in goals allowed behind only Anaheim and Washington.

Not a lot of people realize this, but the Flames were having a tough time finding consistent scoring but when Micheal Ferland was placed on the first line in the final quarter of the season, Gaudreau produced at over a ppg pace. It was the best he and Monahan looked all season. There was a lot to learn for Glen Gulutzen and the team, but if they can avoid another disastrous first month, look out.

they stumbled after their 10-game winning streak, going 6-11 including playoffs

also, the Flames were the only team to make the playoffs with a regulation record below .500 (32-33)...thank goodness for the gimmick games!

#statsarefun

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
The Sharks/Kings/Ducks almost always whooped our bums, and they were "mean" to my weak team of previous years. So I hate the California teams. And the Stars. The Stars crushed our playoffs for too many years to count off memory...

Canucks and Flames.. Meh. They aren't good teams. I've been enjoying giving it back to their mean fans in person though :D

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This one is coming back; after the Flames spanked the Oil for the past decade, wasn't really a 'rivalry', not even close. Most folks in Calgary dislike Anaheim and previously Vancouver (when they were relevant) more than Edmonton.

I honestly don't even dislike Edmonton, I work up there often, I go to a lot of games every year with company tickets. Their fans are normally courteous, when I went to the McDavid draft which was infested with Oil faithful everyone was polite. Where my dislike comes from is the keyboard warriors on this forum that make that team unbearable :laugh:

When they were a joke for 10 years, every year we'd have to hear how everyone better watch-out after 'this' 1st overall and how they're the next big thing. Now with 1 winning season under their belt, it's even worse on this forum :laugh:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It's amazing the amount of Oiler fans that come out of the woodwork after they make the playoffs for the first time since Bush was president. Guess all that sucking ended up being worth it. Kevin Lowe and the rest of those boobs being vindicated :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Run a team into the ground like the Penguins and the Oilers and pray like hell. The lottery balls falling your way for an astounding 4th time is the only reason anyone in that front office still has a job. Enjoy your 12.5 million dollar meal ticket.

Not in the least bitter.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
It's amazing the amount of Oiler fans that come out of the woodwork after they make the playoffs for the first time since Bush was president. Guess all that sucking ended up being worth it. Kevin Lowe and the rest of those boobs being vindicated :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Run a team into the ground like the Penguins and the Oilers and pray like hell. The lottery balls falling your way for an astounding 4th time is the only reason anyone in that front office still has a job. Enjoy your 12.5 million dollar meal ticket.

Not in the least bitter.

Post of the year! :handclap::handclap:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It isn't even the biggest rivalry amongst a decent amount of fans of the two teams...

It is Boston and Montreal first and foremost

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
Flames are the least of the Oilers concerns. Swept them rather easily last season. Hate is definitely real but until they become a good hockey team the rivalry won't be as big.

The only interesting thing about Calgary games is being able to write a W on the calendar when games against them come up, months in advance.

Let's not forget that Calgary rather easily won the Flames-Oilers series in 15-16 with 3 wins 1 Shootout loss and 1 regulation loss. Things can change fast. The Oilers outplayed the Flames last year and Calgary will have to prove that they can compete with them but smugly brushing Calgary off just because Edmonton won 4 games against them last year is just dishonest.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
The season started in mid October, when I said the first month, I was talking about 30 days when the Flames had 40 wins in 66 games and the Oilers had 38 wins in 67 games. It was close, but the point I was making was that The Flames were a completely different team after their adjustment period. It's true, every team has bad stretches and cherry picking stats is generally not ideal. But it also true that it took the Flames a while to start playing a completely different style then they were use to under 4 yrs of Bob Hartley. Also when the 3M line was put together and Hamilton-Giordano became a pair, everything changed from there. The special teams also took about a month to transform. That was the turning point in the season and to me, it is the more telling of how this team will perform going forward.

It's too bad there isn't circus time in the playoffs. SOmething the Flames were good at.

How many regulation wins did they have against playoff teams all year? Like 7?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Not in the least bitter.

our playoff "run" this year would've been the Flames second longest run since 1989...when Bush was president
the father :laugh:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Not in the least bitter.

In the decade of darkness, the Oilers forum was amongst the most busiest on here. Relax with this false trump like propaganda.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Of course you don't.

Taking a gander at most of your 95 posts have been outlandishly biased against the Oilers.
Well i seen the 80s rivalry in person unlike you.My hate runs deep like Tim Hunter and Dave Semenko going at it.You can read all my posts you will find i speak the truth .

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so both teams finally have playoff calibre teams, and now they are the biggest rivalry?

lol, no.

lets see em play a few times in the playoffs first.

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
so both teams finally have playoff calibre teams, and now they are the biggest rivalry?

lol, no.

lets see em play a few times in the playoffs first.

What's nice is with the Flames being littered with overrated garbage the consensus is that they will squeak into the playoffs and the amazing Oilers will finish high so it could actually happen.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse

Not in the least bitter.

Thanks! We will enjoy it to the fullest my friend. Really appreciate the love from another fan base.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This used to be the 1-2 most heated rivalries in hockey.

It has lessened in time due to lack of playoff meetings between the 2. But it has a chance to rival Bos-Mon which I regard as the best rivalry traditionally in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad