Post-Game Talk: Calgary Flames at New York Rangers 2/24/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Talbot is 7-1-2 since he become the starter. Elite performance, nothing less, nothing more.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Hayes is so freakin good. I really hope he can keep this level up into the playoffs. It would be huge for us.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Chances against and defense in front of him won't get much better. Again, you can't complain. Overall, 9.5/10 for the defense tonight. The 21 shots against is indicative of that. There weren't a lot of shots or chances. It's always tough to feel that pressure down 1-0, I agree, but he wasn't in a shooting gallery today.

It's actually refreshing to see him win a game where the Rangers don't score five for him.

Yes I agree. And it is refreshing for sure. I hope Talbot stays this sharp. If he does he is going to have a very fun time next season when he's a FA.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Talbot is 7-1-2 since he become the starter. Elite performance, nothing less, nothing more.

A 21 save shutout is an elite performance? In one of the Rangers best defensive efforts of the season?

It was a good game, easy shutout. Congratulations to him for bouncing back because he was really struggling. I think his play has been inconsistent and overall poor since taking over. Again, I will give any goaltender the props for shutting out the opposition, especially in the pressure of a 1-0 game where any mistake is amplified. He was good today. I wouldn't necessarily say elite.

But all I care about is the bolded.

Whether he plays poor or not, the team finds a way to win in front of him. Today he didn't get the goal support, didn't face a lot of quality chances tonight, but played arguably his 2nd best game since taking over.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Boring first 40, but at the end of the day that was awesome. Machinehead is pleased. I will wax more when I get home.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
A 21 save shutout is an elite performance? In one of the Rangers best defensive efforts of the season?

It was a good game, easy shutout. Congratulations to him for bouncing back because he was really struggling. I think his play has been inconsistent and overall poor since taking over.

Whether he plays poor or not, the team finds a way to win in front of him. Today he didn't get the goal support, didn't face a lot of quality chances tonight, but played arguably his 2nd best game since taking over.

Talbot hasn't been elite for the most part since Lundqvist went down but I hope tonight begins a turnaround for him.

Overall though, Talbot's career numbers are certainly elite. Factor in how he plays the puck and you've got a very high quality goaltender.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Lindberg was a bit of a disappointment to me... The way some people on here talk about him ud think he'd come out and amaze

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hayes very good. big strong smart and goes to the net. kids a keeper.

talbot good. efficient and composed. any shutout is a good shutout.

hunwick not good. turnovers and silly passes. looked like a midget out there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Talbot hasn't been elite for the most part since Lundqvist went down but I hope tonight begins a turnaround for him.

Overall though, Talbot's career numbers are certainly elite. Factor in how he plays the puck and you've got a very high quality goaltender.

He was a top backup in the league before the injury, he still might be, but he's not ready for starter duty.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Hayes with another strong game.

Anyone thinking he might have a higher upside than Kreider?

I feel like Hayes has the size and tools to be an effective top-6 player if he reaches his ceiling.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

It was a good game, easy shutout. Congratulations to him for bouncing back because he was really struggling. I think his play has been inconsistent and overall poor since taking over. Again, I will give any goaltender the props for shutting out the opposition, especially in the pressure of a 1-0 game where any mistake is amplified. He was good today. I wouldn't necessarily say elite.

He made elite saves when it counted in the 1st, and a few other good ones scattered throughout the game. The number of saves doesn't mean anything. The quality of the chances/shots against are what matters. They had a few looks and he stood tall. All you can ask for.

Keep it rolling on Thursday boys...

MillerTime79

Jun 28, 2007

Ehhhh.... Not really, though. The Rangers' scoring is responsible for that record. I was a huge fan of Talbot last season and early on this year, but he has been extremely shaky since taking over as starter. His rebound control has been awful, and the amount of unscreened goals from the blue line that he has allowed is insane.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
10-1-2 in the last 13. If we had Lundqvist we're likely looking at another stretch like we had earlier. 12-1, maybe 12-0-1.

That would be my prediction. I think we would be the hottest team in the league again, Lundqvist would be 2nd/3rd in wins in the NHL, and likely be a Vezina finalist if he continued playing at his level.

We would also likely be in the race for the Presidents Trophy if we won those two extra games with him.

It's splitting hairs though. Team might have gone 9-0-1 with him, but 7-1-2 is pretty damn good and hard to complain about.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013

It was a good game, easy shutout. Congratulations to him for bouncing back because he was really struggling. I think his play has been inconsistent and overall poor since taking over.

You guys always find away. Just amazing. Well, at least you now know why Hank gets shutouts.
By the way, I was talking about 7-1-2 when I said about elite performance, not particularly this game alone.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
“@NYRangers: #NYR reach the 80-point plateau in 59 games, which is tied for the 6th fewest games it has taken for them to do so in franchise history.â€

Imagine where we would be without the terrible start to the year?

This is a Cup team for sure.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
He made elite saves when it counted in the 1st, and a few other good ones scattered throughout the game. The number of saves doesn't mean anything. The quality of the chances/shots against are what matters. They had a few looks and he stood tall. All you can ask for.

Keep it rolling on Thursday boys...

See, I disagree with this. I don't think he had to make any extremely difficult saves in the game. He had to make a couple of good saves, some average saves, and a slew of easy ones.

Shots on goal was indicative of the chances against today. I don't think Talbot was overly tested in quality or quantity. I thought Ramo faced better chances, and more chances.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
You guys always find away. Just amazing. Well, at least you now know why Hank gets shutouts.
By the way, I was talking about 7-1-2 when I said about elite performance, not particularly this game alone.

Like you always find a way to spin Cam's performances letting up 4-5 goals as good games LOL. It is what it is. You don't see eye to eye with a lot of posters regarding his overall performance and we disagree on it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Please don't make this thread a back-and-forth about Cam Talbot, everyone pined to have individual player discussion threads back, so go use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad