Prospect Info: Caleb Jones

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
That is an active pairing. I would rather spread the two out to help cover mistakes.
Bouchard and Russell.
Gravel and Jones
That could work too. Bouchard and Jones did play very well together in the preseason though.

Do you think Nurse will be the odd man out?

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
That is an active pairing. I would rather spread the two out to help cover mistakes.
Bouchard and Russell.
Gravel and Jones
Klef - Nurse - Larsson - Sekera - Russel - Benning - Bouchard - Jones - Gravel? That’s a lot of D too ice next year haha

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
That could work too. Bouchard and Jones did play very well together in the preseason though.

Do you think Nurse will be the odd man out?

I think they can be a strong middle pairing but not as rookies.
I don't know what to expect to this D. I think it depends on our summer.
I want to keep Nurse. Mobility is important.
We may have Sekera on the bottom pairing too.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Small sample size, but this is why I don't want him to traded. He's going to be the steal of the 5th round...I keep thinking they took him in the 3rd and Bear in the 5th but it's the other way around.

Hopefully we stop seeing him in trade proposals.

Reactions: guymez

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Small sample size, but this is why I don't want him to traded. He's going to be the steal of the 5th round...I keep thinking they took him in the 3rd and Bear in the 5th but it's the other way around.

Hopefully we stop seeing him in trade proposals.
Bear was taken in the 5th and Jones was taken in the 4th.

Just 7 picks apart though.

Reactions: McFuhryous

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Jones
Russell Bouchard
Sekera
Gravel

Who do you trade? Sekera doesn't have much for value.
Benning for starters, who's not mentioned there.

After that I'm not sure. It depends on whether Sekera can regain (some of) his form, and Gravel can step up. If they both happen, I think trading Nurse is the obvious move, because a big, tough, smooth-skating has a lot of value.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

After that I'm not sure. It depends on whether Sekera can regain (some of) his form, and Gravel can step up. If they both happen, I think trading Nurse is the obvious move, because a big, tough, smooth-skating has a lot of value.

True. But he has a lot of value to us too.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Bear was taken in the 5th and Jones was taken in the 4th.

Just 7 picks apart though.

Thanks for the correction, I thought Bear was a 3rd rounder for some damn reason. Looking into it, he was the third pick of the 5th round...maybe that's why I thought he was a 3rd rounder.

Well, Jones will be the steal of the 4th round then-lol.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

They've just spent 5 years developing a big strong, tough, fast man that is finally starting to come around and is a minute muncher, and you want to trade him now? Lol, I'm glad you aren't our GM. You don't move defensemen like this because a shiny new toy has arrived on the shelf. He becomes part of your core.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
They've just spent 5 years developing a big strong, tough, fast man that is finally starting to come around and is a minute muncher, and you want to trade him now? Lol, I'm glad you aren't our GM. You don't move defensemen like this because a shiny new toy has arrived on the shelf. He becomes part of your core.
I'm not saying move him now. All I'm saying is that IF Jones, Gravel, and Sekera step up, then Nurse may be the odd man out in a couple years.

Klefbom - Larsson
Jones - Bouchard

... Nurse is too good for the bottom pairing. Again, that's only if Jones can play top-4 in a couple years.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Jones
Russell Bouchard
Sekera
Gravel

My guess is the below (but who knows really, a lot can happen between now and next year, like trades, injuries, etc):

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Sekera
Russell Benning
7th veteran guy (maybe Gravel on another cheap deal)

Bouchard and Jones play the majority of their time in the AHL, getting injury callups.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He does, and I'd only deal him if Jones can step up to fill his role AND if one of Sekera or Gravel can step up and play top 4 as well.

Talk of Jones replacing Nurse is about 2-3 years too soon IMO. Jones looks pretty good for where he is at, I'll give him that. But Nurse looked a lot better at the same age, and was entering his 2nd full time year in the NHL. Nurse is only now entering his prime, at 24 years old. I expect Jones to play the majority of the year in the AHL next year, barring a trade.

Edit: I see that you clarified your position in an additional post. You are not advocating trading him soon, but only in a couple years if Jones continues to show progress. Yes, I would agree with that.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not saying move him now. All I'm saying is that IF Jones, Gravel, and Sekera step up, then Nurse may be the odd man out in a couple years.

Klefbom - Larsson
Jones - Bouchard

... Nurse is too good for the bottom pairing. Again, that's only if Jones can play top-4 in a couple years.

Okay, you're projecting down the road. But don't you think some of that projecting should include some more growth by Nurse as well? Or do you think he's tapped out at 23?

As for Sekera, I have my doubts that he is with this team in a couple years, regardless of how he plays.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Okay, you're projecting down the road. But don't you think some of that projecting should include some more growth by Nurse as well? Or do you think he's tapped out at 23?
He will see some growth, I'm just wondering who the odd man out is. I think Jones plays a similar game to him, but will be younger and cheaper then. I think trading Nurse would be the smarter play.

Then again, this will be in a few years, and who knows what could happen by then.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Jones
Russell Bouchard
Sekera
Gravel

It depends how well Sekera plays when he comes back, but I have hope he can re-find his game. If he does, he'll be tradeable. Lots of teams would love the steady defensive presence he brings, despite his cap hit. We may have to retain a mil or so on his remaining years, though.

There's no need to force both Jones and Bouchard into the lineup next year. Let's have a logjam on defense for a year, let these guys compete for a spot on the roster, and go from there.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Bouchard/Russell/Jones
Gravel - Bouchard/Russell/Jones

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He will see some growth, I'm just wondering who the odd man out is. I think Jones plays a similar game to him, but will be younger and cheaper then. I think trading Nurse would be the smarter play.

Then again, this will be in a few years, and who knows what could happen by then.

Both the Russell and Sekera deals are over after the 20-21 season. The Seattle draft is supposedly that summer as well.

If Jones is ready for NHL minutes next year, or the year after, he likely replaces somebody in the bottom pairing for that first year. Benning (as Jones plays his off-side already) is the likely candidate to me. Or potentially Bouchard is also ready at that same time, and something like this happens in 2020-21:

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Sekera
Jones Bouchard
Russell

I think the much, MUCH, more likely scenario is that both Jones and Bouchard are not ready until after 2020-21, or both are never ready. However, even if they both are, Benning is likely the first casualty, and then Russell/Sekera are both off the books after 20-21. We are setup pretty okay for cap until then as well, so shouldn't need to make a cap-related trade either.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Exactumon.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Both the Russell and Sekera deals are over after the 20-21 season. The Seattle draft is supposedly that summer as well.

If Jones is ready for NHL minutes next year, or the year after, he likely replaces somebody in the bottom pairing for that first year. Benning (as Jones plays his off-side already) is the likely candidate to me. Or potentially Bouchard is also ready at that same time, and something like this happens in 2020-21:

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Sekera
Jones Bouchard
Russell

I think the much, MUCH, more likely scenario is that both Jones and Bouchard are not ready until after 2020-21, or both are never ready. However, even if they both are, Benning is likely the first casualty, and then Russell/Sekera are both off the books after 20-21. We are setup pretty okay for cap until then as well, so shouldn't need to make a cap-related trade either.

What? Jones already excelled in the AHL this year and he has shown a lot of promise for a guy who only played his 2nd NHL game yesterday. He's on the cusp of being an NHLer. And this experience, playing up on the Oilers with Klefbom out is going to help him a lot. He'd have to take a big step backwards to not be ready to play full-time next season.

As for Bouchard, he could've 'probably' played the full season in the NHL already this year, although it wouldn't have been ideal for his development, but again I'd be really surprised if he's not ready for full-time duty next year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

If it makes you a better team, then you'd have to consider it.

Depending on how Jones play in his stretch here and how Sekera plays when he gets back, I'd consider moving Nurse this summer. Not because he isn't a valuable piece to this team and organization but because we now seem to have a bit of depth on D while we are still in dire need of a scoring winger to complement our great group of centers. If Nurse nets you a real high-end forward, it's something you at least have to consider.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If it makes you a better team, then you'd have to consider it.

Depending on how Jones play in his stretch here and how Sekera plays when he gets back, I'd consider moving Nurse this summer. Not because he isn't a valuable piece to this team and organization but because we now seem to have a bit of depth on D while we are still in dire need of a scoring winger to complement our great group of centers. If Nurse nets you a real high-end forward, it's something you at least have to consider.

I'm not going to base trading Nurse on a 40 game stretch for a very green Caleb Jones and an aging and coming off 2 serious injuries Andre Sekera.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad