Prospect Info: Caleb Jones

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
His knee was 100% healed coming into this season, it clearly wasn’t last season when he came back. He struggled last season due to lack of mobility with his bad knee. Why should that still be a factor when he comes back from a totally separate injury. Not saying to throw him to the wolves or that he won’t have some rust in his game. But to automatically assume he’ll suck this year coming back from an injury because he sucked last year coming back early from a totally unrelated injury is shortsighted.

When he came back last time, he had to wear a knee brace and was not ready to come back. This time the knee will be completely healed and no brace. Will it take time to get to game shape? Without a doubt, but when Sekera was healthy in his playoff year here, he was great. He is only 32

Andrej Sekera hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
When he came back last time, he had to wear a knee brace and was not ready to come back. This time the knee will be completely healed and no brace. Will it take time to get to game shape? Without a doubt, but when Sekera was healthy in his playoff year here, he was great. He is only 32

Andrej Sekera hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Exactly some people acting like he’s 50 and an old man are being silly. He’s a professional athlete that’s two years removed from his best season ever. His previous knee injury will have zero bearing on his play when he comes back.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Exactly some people acting like he’s 50 and an old man are being silly. He’s a professional athlete that’s two years removed from his best season ever. His previous knee injury will have zero bearing on his play when he comes back.

We're on the same page pal. Lots in Oilernation are not, but Oilers in NS and @nabob are

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
50 is an old man? I must be ancient.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

his knee injury was a complete non issue in the world championships last year on the bigger ice where he was wheeling around and looked back to top form. the fact that he is skating with the team already and they are slow playing his return makes me think it will only be a week or so before hes back to game speed and playing like he can. Getting a healthy sekera in jan is like hitting gold with a deadline deal and bringing in a stud.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I hope he does well. They should probably just waive Garrison at this point. Guys not going to play much going forward.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I don't mind giving him a few games to see where he's at.
Bear got to.
Bouchard got to.
Klefbom is out and we really don't have anyone better to bring up at this point that's proven imo.

Problem is Klefbom is probably gone for 20-30 days and I have no reason to believe that Jones is ready to take up for what's been lost and the players playing behind him on the depth chart probably aren't ready, either.

Do you put Nurse on the top pairing? What does that do to the 2nd pairing?
Holy cow this is scary.

I remember Nurse playing some of his best hockey with Larsen. Im not worried about that pair.

Russel - Benning
Gravel - Jones

Yikes

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I hope he does well. They should probably just waive Garrison at this point. Guys not going to play much going forward.

Hitch likes having 8 Dmen on the roster. No better player to have as the 8th guy. He’s a very good veteran leader out there. Maybe he could even help Nurse and others with their one timers as it was always his bread and butter.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Hitch likes having 8 Dmen on the roster. No better player to have as the 8th guy. He’s a very good veteran leader out there. Maybe he could even help Nurse and others with their one timers as it was always his bread and butter.

That's how I'm feeling about Garrison. Perfect body for the #8 role. He spent last year in the AHL so I can see him happy to just be back on an NHL roster, even if that mean limited to no playing time. (not something everyone would be happy with)

If you can have him be a positive influence in the locker room and practice, then that's worth a league min contract for him to be around.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
his knee injury was a complete non issue in the world championships last year on the bigger ice where he was wheeling around and looked back to top form. the fact that he is skating with the team already and they are slow playing his return makes me think it will only be a week or so before hes back to game speed and playing like he can. Getting a healthy sekera in jan is like hitting gold with a deadline deal and bringing in a stud.

If you consider a player who will struggle mightily on the 3rd pairing "hitting gold", then yeah, sure I guess. Sekera is already on the downside of his career without injuries. His knee shouldn't be a huge issue, I agree there, but its still going to be a slight issue. The achilles however, is going to be a major, major issue. It takes a full year to recover properly from achilles surgery, and January 15th will only be 5 months. He might be "okay" next year, and a capable 4/5 dman, but that isn't happening this year in all likelihood.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Excited to see a Jones been waiting for a while now. Definitely earned a look. Been a while since we developed a player the right way forcing him to earn a chance on the big club

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad