Prospect Info: Caleb Jones

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jones only played 11mins and got benched even in a game in which we were short D. I don't think he looked comfortable out there at all. Gravel is pretty reliable and held the fort. Jones barely had any shifts as the game went on. Got half his minutes in first period.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jones only played 11mins and got benched even in a game in which we were short D. I don't think he looked comfortable out there at all. Gravel is pretty reliable and held the fort. Jones barely had any shifts as the game went on. Got half his minutes in first period.
AHL defender playing his first game, gets less ice time as the game went on. Water is wet.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
11:59 actually and he got his minutes dialed back in the second period, he was given more minutes in the 3rd as he better adjusted to the speed of the NHL and settled his game down. Earned himself another game for sure.

Reactions: TB12

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
I dont like how he learned to fall unnecessarily from Benning.

That wipeout woulda been a memorable moment in a classic Decade of Darkness 7-2 loss

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Decent for a first game with no practice with the team. You could see the nerves, and him wanting to pass it to Gravel so he wouldn't make a mistake. But I'd love to see how he progresses over a few more games.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
11:59 actually and he got his minutes dialed back in the second period, he was given more minutes in the 3rd as he better adjusted to the speed of the NHL and settled his game down. Earned himself another game for sure.

Yeah I think he needs another game or 2. You can't really evaluate much in a first game, especially from a defender. Even if the player makes glaring errors, given all the nerves and other crap that go with your first game, just getting through it is half the batter.

Anytime you can win a hockey game where one of your dmen are playing their 1st game in the NHL, is a great thing.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Really looking for this kid to show more. The way the defense squad is looking, its up to him to grab the spot left.

I was always uncertain about Jones, his minus 25 with Bakersfield kinda confused me...

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I liked that bat-down he did in the middle of the second then handed it back to control of his team. I thought that was a nifty play. He’ll be solid.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yeah I think he needs another game or 2. You can't really evaluate much in a first game, especially from a defender. Even if the player makes glaring errors, given all the nerves and other crap that go with your first game, just getting through it is half the batter.

Anytime you can win a hockey game where one of your dmen are playing their 1st game in the NHL, is a great thing.
Absolutely, not to mention he has yet to practice with the team and subsequently was not used on either of the special teams. You got to see glimpses of what his proponents see in his game however. Highly mobile and you could see he's a high IQ player with his ability to read and react to plays.

I am intrigued to see how much of his game he can translate to the NHL game on a consistent basis. We're due for a late round gem, hopefully it's Jones.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I posted earlier this evening about Caleb's game tonight but I thought his performance deserved not to get buried in the PGT.
In short I thought he played an excellent game....very impressed.

Skates really well...has great hockey sense....and plays an aggressive style that I really enjoy watching.
Its only been a couple of games but he has already impressed me more than Bear did last season.
Looking forward to seeing more of Jones in the coming weeks.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Posted this in the prospects thread on the national board, but thought you guys would be interested-

Feel like this kid's night needs to be talked about. Had his NHL debut last game against the Flyers, where he got 12 minutes and had a decent showing. Tonight against the Canucks:

-17 minutes, all at even strength. (3rd most ES minutes of any Edmonton DMan)

-Corsi of 24-3. Fenwick of 16-2. Scoring chances with him on the ice: 13-1. Only 2 of his zone starts were in the offensive zone. 5 neutral, 4 defensive. (I honestly wondered if those #'s were a mistake at first glance, because they're that unusually good)

He took a penalty and had a bad giveaway, and wasn't getting the most difficult minutes, but I think the most impressive thing is that in only his 2nd game and with barely any practice time with the team, a coach that's as big of a defensive hardass as Hitch decided to play him that much and give him that big of a jump in minutes- and as the zone starts show, Hitch didn't really try to shelter him at all.

Just one game so it doesn't mean much, but interesting nonetheless.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I was only able to watch the first period but he made a real nice play in the slot to break up a scoring chance and I thought he didn't look out of place at all.

When Klefbom and Sekera are back to being healthy our depth isn't terrible at all (my personal view at the start of the season):

Klefbom
Larsson
Russell
Gravel
Nurse
Jones
Benning

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Stats or no stats, I think they are a bit misleading if taken at face value, but I like who he has handled his assignment so far. Would be awesome if he could solidify a place on this team already this season. This team could really use a prospect D coming in and surprising everyone with play/poise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad