Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
UMass flat out stole both games this weekend. Providence was the better team but goaltending was the major difference.

Very true... I expected more out of Hawkey. Not that he played bad, but he didn't make the big save when it was needed. It was the difference between winning and losing.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The first time I got to see makar play was last year at the WJC and from his very first shift you went........."wow, this guys a talent"

Every time he was on the ice you couldn't take your eyes off him, the skating, the offensive i.q, the nice shot he would get on net through traffic all the time, how smooth he was out there, he was a revelation to all us Canadian fans watching the games. Everyone was screaming at Ducharme to play him more.

You guys have a good one on your hands there.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
The first time I got to see makar play was last year at the WJC and from his very first shift you went........."wow, this guys a talent"

Every time he was on the ice you couldn't take your eyes off him, the skating, the offensive i.q, the nice shot he would get on net through traffic all the time, how smooth he was out there, he was a revelation to all us Canadian fans watching the games. Everyone was screaming at Ducharme to play him more.

You guys have a good one on your hands there.
Thanks fellow bluenoser

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How has Makar looked when he does not have the puck and has to play defense?

Improving... he can still get a bit scrambly from time to time, but nothing too bad. He's good at keeping his feet moving and staying in front of the play, but heavier forechecks cause him some issues still. Nothing major but there is some room for improvement there.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Ok mate , Habs are looking ok . Big Weber coming back will help
Well, we are scoring more this year and that sure helps but I can't help but think we come down to earth sooner or later, you look at our roster, especially the defense and watch that defense play and you just know it isn't likely to last.

Which wouldn't be the worst thing because our rebuild really does need another top 3-5 pick,and this looks to be a strong draft at the top, to kick start us even more. We are really getting more production then we ever expected from guys like Domi and Tatar who have been incredible really. Does that last? meh.........................I don't know. As you said weber coming back sure will help the defense but even with him it's a real band-aid group.

We are playing hard as a team though and I like that, last year they played with ZERO heart, this year they are giving it their all and not giving up when they get down, it's been nice to see. They have been fun to watch too, they have been playing a real hard skating offensive minded style, it's refreshing to see.

We'll see.

Last edited:

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Improving... he can still get a bit scrambly from time to time, but nothing too bad. He's good at keeping his feet moving and staying in front of the play, but heavier forechecks cause him some issues still. Nothing major but there is some room for improvement there.

Is that concerning since its vs college kids? What about a heavy NHL level forecheck like the Preds last year?

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
4th.

Not bad for a garbage program :sarcasm:

The downside is the Frozen 4 tournament starts the last weekend in March (29-31). If U-Mass remains in the top 10 and gets a bid, Makar would not join the Avs until they had only 4 games remaining (if U-Mass gets knocked out that first weekend. If they were to make the Frozen 4, those games would be played April 11-13 and the Avs would be in the first round of the playoffs before Makar would be available.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The downside is the Frozen 4 tournament starts the last weekend in March (29-31). If U-Mass remains in the top 10 and gets a bid, Makar would not join the Avs until they had only 4 games remaining (if U-Mass gets knocked out that first weekend. If they were to make the Frozen 4, those games would be played April 11-13 and the Avs would be in the first round of the playoffs before Makar would be available.

Perfect. He can go from the Hobey Baker to the Conn Smythe!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is that concerning since its vs college kids? What about a heavy NHL level forecheck like the Preds last year?

It is going to be an issue for him in a similar way as it is to Barrie and Girard. Have to use skill and skating to deal with it. So, IMO, not a real issue since he has to deal with it regardless and the abilities are there to counteract. It will be an obstacle for him.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
It is going to be an issue for him in a similar way as it is to Barrie and Girard. Have to use skill and skating to deal with it. So, IMO, not a real issue since he has to deal with it regardless and the abilities are there to counteract. It will be an obstacle for him.
Forecheckers aren't an issue for Girard. He makes them look silly. His breakout is amazing.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Oh that's right Girard hasn't ever had a single issue with a heavy forecheck. My bad.
I'm not saying he's never had a forechecker get him... I'm not a moron. Compared to other defenders getting away from forecheckers is a strength of his not a weakness. Zadorov isn't great with forecheckers. Tends to turn the puck over. It's not all about size it's about making good quick decisions under pressure and the ability to evade the forechecker or make a good pass. (Also heavy forecheck meaning they are coming in hard to get him, not that they have already made contact.)

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not saying he's never had a forechecker get him... I'm not a moron. Compared to other defenders getting away from forecheckers is a strength of his not a weakness. Zadorov isn't great with forecheckers. Tends to turn the puck over. It's not all about size it's about making good quick decisions under pressure and the ability to evade the forechecker or make a good pass. (Also heavy forecheck meaning they are coming in hard to get him, not that they have already made contact.)

And I'm not saying Girard is bad against a forecheck. I've stated the opposite numerous times... he has had issues against teams like Nashville and Winnipeg who have speedy, heavy forechecks to deal with. Not huge issues, but they are there. My statement here was saying Makar has the same disadvantages as Barrie and Girard to when it comes to dealing with that type of pressure so it will be something to watch. Though like Girard and Barrie, he has a skill set that can counteract his weakness so it isn't a significant concern to have.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
And I'm not saying Girard is bad against a forecheck. I've stated the opposite numerous times... he has had issues against teams like Nashville and Winnipeg who have speedy, heavy forechecks to deal with. Not huge issues, but they are there. My statement here was saying Makar has the same disadvantages as Barrie and Girard to when it comes to dealing with that type of pressure so it will be something to watch. Though like Girard and Barrie, he has a skill set that can counteract his weakness so it isn't a significant concern to have.

Yeah you have Girard's issue with that forcheck, and then you have EJ's current issues with it. :scared:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Oh that's right Girard hasn't ever had a single issue with a heavy forecheck. My bad.
He's probably the best Dman we have at handling the forecheck. Always seems to squeeze around players and keep the puck.

That being said, he does get caught sometimes and has made a few bad plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad