Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Tomorrow is going to be a good test as #4th ranked Providence will take on #9 ranked UMass. Weird that first game of the set is on Thursday, but that's what it is. I think the second one is on Saturday.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Tomorrow is going to be a good test as #4th ranked Providence will take on #9 ranked UMass. Weird that first game of the set is on Thursday, but that's what it is. I think the second one is on Saturday.

I'm expecting a split or a loss and a tie... Providence is a damn good team. Hawkey should be in net for both games for Providence and he's rocking a 50/50 shutout rate in his starts... playing as well as any goalie in the country.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wow that’s an awesome last name for a hockey player (Hawkey)
He's from Parker, CO as well. As Hench said, he is unbelievable this year and last year he was already one of the best goalers in NA not in the NHL or AHL. Sucks for the Habs to trade him simply because of Price with his contract, but that was a shrewd move by Edmonton to get his rights.

It will be a good test for both UMass, but how beastly Makar is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
UMass was significantly outplayed, but won. They will climb regardless of what happens Saturday.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Makar was up and down (as was the whole team). The first period UMass played great and Makar was pretty good defensively... offensively he wasn't creating much other than dictating a good breakout. Providence made some adjustments and started taking over the game in the 2nd... by the third Providence was dominating. UMass was making significant mental errors and the systems were breaking down hard (the whole team has a nasty tendency to puck watch and track out of position leaving seams). Murray basically kept them in it until they could pull out the victory. On that note, I'm not sure Murray is a NHL contract level guy, but he might be worth an AHL deal to see if he has the chops in a year or two. I was told there were at least 11 NHL scouts in the building tonight so it was a good night for him to shine.

There was one sequence where Makar was dancing around Providence with the puck in complete and utter control... then Chaffee picked a Providence player and there was a penalty called (it was a BS call IMO). That shift was probably the most impressive that I've seen out of Makar in college. So even in a meh sort of game for him, he had a flash moment.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Makar was up and down (as was the whole team). The first period UMass played great and Makar was pretty good defensively... offensively he wasn't creating much other than dictating a good breakout. Providence made some adjustments and started taking over the game in the 2nd... by the third Providence was dominating. UMass was making significant mental errors and the systems were breaking down hard (the whole team has a nasty tendency to puck watch and track out of position leaving seams). Murray basically kept them in it until they could pull out the victory. On that note, I'm not sure Murray is a NHL contract level guy, but he might be worth an AHL deal to see if he has the chops in a year or two. I was told there were at least 11 NHL scouts in the building tonight so it was a good night for him to shine.

There was one sequence where Makar was dancing around Providence with the puck in complete and utter control... then Chaffee picked a Providence player and there was a penalty called (it was a BS call IMO). That shift was probably the most impressive that I've seen out of Makar in college. So even in a meh sort of game for him, he had a flash moment.
Hope there is a gif or vid floating around for this. Was it as good as that one rush in OT he made that lead to a goal earlier this year?

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Anyone know if Makar does penalty killing and if there's any chance he'll be able to do it in the NHL?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm sure he probably can kill penalties(He does with UMass) But I really hope they never use him in that role in the NHL.

Would be quite dumb to have your(Likely) best offensive weapon on Defense killing penalties, blocking shots, and risking injury for 2-3 minutes every night.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm sure he probably can kill penalties(He does with UMass) But I really hope they never use him in that role in the NHL.

Would be quite dumb to have your(Likely) best offensive weapon on Defense killing penalties, blocking shots, and risking injury for 2-3 minutes every night.

Soft ass millennials always ruining good ol hockey toughness with their stupid skill & thinking...

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

Good point. I was just wondering how they'll handle PK if Girard, Barrie and Makar are all playing.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Kept off the scoresheet for the second straight game but UMass beat Providence again 3-2. If Makar managed to play solid defensive hockey against one of the best teams in the NCAA, then I’m happy. He can pad his stats against the lesser teams, or when he really starts to turn it on later this year.

Reactions: Lemonlimey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad