Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
I'm still not upset having Makar, we really need a Topparing or #1 D. yeah it stings, but makar is tearing the ncaa apart atm and looks to be developing right. EP is only some odd 10gp. Even if EP becomes a 90pt player and makar becomes a #1D who can put up 45-50 points ill take Makar. if Makar puts up 60+ then its just gravy.

ALSO: does anyone know any D men that have finished around 1.25-2ppg in the NCAA I can't seem to find anything . I'm not saying Makar will but if anyone can it will be him

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Makar will probably going to go the same route as McAvoy, spend the 2nd year in CHL and then join Avs towards the end of this season.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Makar will play in the NHL this season after his season is finished at UMASS and help the Avs on their playoff run. No way he ends up in the AHL unless it is at the very beginning of next season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man, y'all are making a ton of prognostications about a guy's ability to play in the NHL based on a still-young collegiate hockey season. I sure hope not too many brains melt if indeed Makar starts the season in the AHL. I mean, plenty of great defensemen played a lot in the AHL, including Erik Karlsson and Duncan Keith.

They can't all be Will Butcher ya know...

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
What would you guys prefer for Makar later on this year?

1 - Playoff run with the Avs as 6D and limited playing time, perhaps even a healthy scratch if he makes a mistake....

...or...

2 - A playoff run with the Eagles as the 2/3D, definitely on PP1 and making an impact still playing meaningful hockey.

I mean, having him on the Avs sounds great, but is it fair to throw him in the playoffs against a Preds or Jets forward group? Or is it best for him to make an easier jump, bigger responsibility, and play tons of minutes in an AHL playoff run? I would imagine he would be much better primed for NHL duty next year after big minutes in Loveland.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

1 - Playoff run with the Avs as 6D and limited playing time, perhaps even a healthy scratch if he makes a mistake....

...or...

2 - A playoff run with the Eagles as the 2/3D, definitely on PP1 and making an impact still playing meaningful hockey.

I mean, having him on the Avs sounds great, but is it fair to throw him in the playoffs against a Preds or Jets forward group? Or is it best for him to make an easier jump, bigger responsibility, and play tons of minutes in an AHL playoff run? I would imagine he would be much better primed for NHL duty next year after big minutes in Loveland.

I think both have their merits. Sticking with the Avs as a 6D or a scratch helps him learn from NHL coaches, learn Bednar's system from Bednar, and build chemistry with the NHLers he'll be playing with next year.

A run with the Eagles as a 2/3D gives him more playing time against pros, and a meaningful role in the playoffs.

Not sure one leads to a better Makar in 2019-20. I would bet it's a moot point though. I think if he signs he'll probably spend the whole time up with the Avs making NHL money, and very possibly burning a year on his ELC. Those aspects will be part of negotiations and an incentive for him to sign.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

...or...

Tough one to be honest but since I been thinking long game with Makar from day one I think I rather he play meaningful games with the Eagles and sponging as much of that experience as he can. ...and then come to the bigs and set it on fire.

Reactions: avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

...or...

Hes been cautious so far. Let him continue in his path. AHL time will give him a good experience and another step in his journey.

Reactions: RareDangles

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
It’s way too early to make any definitive decisions on where Makar should be. We have no idea how NHL-ready he will be in 4-5 months. We have no idea where the Avs and Eagles will be in the standings. We have no idea if there will be injuries that open a top4 spot at the NHL level. It’s very possible that situations will play out over the course of the year that any decision will be a no-brainer.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Makar should come to the Avs at the end of his season. He played extremely limited minutes last year in the World Juniors and was one of the best players in the tournament. He’s an athlete who makes the most out of situations. Bednar just needs to use him properly and he will thrive.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
What I want to happen: Start Makar in the AHL and have him ease his way into the NHL.

What will probably happen: Makar will be thrust into the NHL because of an injury or two and in a desperate attempt to win the last playoff seed. He will be overwhelmed and we'll potentially have a Tyson Jost situation all over again.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
College hockey is nowhere near as competitive as playing in the NHL during a playoff push. Different worlds completely.
The cream will rise to the top. Makar will be better than Barberio or Nemeth. The Avs had no issue playing Jost in the NHL straight away and Jost is not as good as Makar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad