Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know Pettersson is the hot new toy, and he looks damn good. But I feel that despite being the #1 pick Nico is incredibly overlooked. I won't be surprised if he's a 70-80 point guy.

tbf, I feel that way about all 3 of Hischier, Pettersson & Mittelstadt :dunno:

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I don't really think that the points should really matter for Makar, it was already a given that he is an extremely high level offensive talent. The question is if he can control the pace of the game and dominate every single shift. From what I've seen so far this season, that is still a work in progress, although he does have some incredible shifts. Obviously we will see more later in the season, but for me I'm happy he stayed in college, he still has more to learn at this level.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The question is if he can control the pace of the game and dominate every single shift. From what I've seen so far this season, that is still a work in progress, although he does have some incredible shifts.

Your expectations are a simply too high. No player can do that, not even McDavid.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Your expectations are a simply too high. No player can do that, not even McDavid.
At lower levels? Sure they can. McDavid dominated at the OHL level, Makar should hopefully be able to do that in the NCAA. If he can do that, he'll at least be an impact player at the NHL level. It's early yet, but I think he is on the right track and this extra year of college will be good for him.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
At lower levels? Sure they can. McDavid dominated at the OHL level, Makar should hopefully be able to do that in the NCAA. If he can do that, he'll at least be an impact player at the NHL level. It's early yet, but I think he is on the right track and this extra year of college will be good for him.

"Every single shift"

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I just wanna see the offense. If the defense develops, great. But I want to see this guy have a ridiculous offensive season. That’s what he’s best at and that’s why we drafted him 4th overall.

Is it ok to hope that he does that while also improving defensively, and showing two-way ability?

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We already know he can produce points, that was never the question. The question was always his defense, and that looks to be coming along nicely. If the offense gets better too, great, but I want to see him develop into that Duncan Keith-esque player he has the potential to be, not just Shattenkirk redux.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We already know he can produce points, that was never the question.

It kind of was actually. People wanted to see if he could produce at the NCAA level because it was a big jump from the AJHL (weren't you the one driving that bus BTW?). If Makar is finishing top 5 scorer in the NCAA or something crazy like that it's going to be huge.

He's nothing like Shattenkirk, completely different style. He likes to skate with the puck and get close to the net, I'd be more "worried" about him becoming a Barrie clone than a Shatty clone.

I'm not expecting him to become Duncan Keith. If he becomes a #1 dman in the NHL I'm expecting the style of Erik Karlsson.

Last edited:
Reactions: New Scotlander

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It kind of was actually. People wanted to see if he could produce at the NCAA level because it was a big jump from the AJHL (weren't you the one driving that bus BTW?). If Makar is finishing top 5 scorer in the NCAA or something crazy like that it's going to be huge.

He's nothing like Shattenkirk, completely different style. He likes to skate with the puck and get close to the net, I'd be more "worried" about him becoming a Barrie clone than a Shatty clone.

I'm not expecting him to become Duncan Keith. If he becomes a #1 dman in the NHL I'm expecting the style of Erik Karlsson.
No, my question was always his defense coming from the AJHL, since he spent every game down there with the puck on his stick and never played away from the puck because he was way too good for that level. It's pretty well known by now my disdain for offense-only defensemen, so if offense is all Makar brings I'm going to be disappointed no matter who his closest comparable is.

As for comparables, I've come around on the pick (even though I'll always pine for Pettersson a bit), but Karlsson? No, he doesn't have that level of talent. EK is special, there may never be another defenseman like him who can use his raw talent to control the play so much at the NHL level, not for a long time anyway. To hope for that is pointless, but the way he plays now I can totally see a prime Duncan Keith if he can translate fully to the NHL level. The way he moves and thinks I think will serve him well, and certainly if he can dominate at a lower level it's a good sign that he can reach that at his peak. It's early yet in the season and I think he has another gear still.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
No, my question was always his defense coming from the AJHL, since he spent every game down there with the puck on his stick and never played away from the puck because he was way too good for that level. It's pretty well known by now my disdain for offense-only defensemen, so if offense is all Makar brings I'm going to be disappointed no matter who his closest comparable is.

As for comparables, I've come around on the pick (even though I'll always pine for Pettersson a bit), but Karlsson? No, he doesn't have that level of talent. EK is special, there may never be another defenseman like him who can use his raw talent to control the play so much at the NHL level, not for a long time anyway. To hope for that is pointless, but the way he plays now I can totally see a prime Duncan Keith if he can translate fully to the NHL level. The way he moves and thinks I think will serve him well, and certainly if he can dominate at a lower level it's a good sign that he can reach that at his peak. It's early yet in the season and I think he has another gear still.
He does have Karlsson type talent though .

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I'm not "hoping" for that, what I hope for is meaningless isn't it?

From the videos I'm watching he's closer in style to Erik Karlsson than to Duncan Keith. I could say Bobby Orr, too. "Take the puck behind the net and skate all the way to the other end" type of defenseman. He won't be like Keith or Subban or Hedman. He will be more like Karlsson or Barrie or Gostisbehere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy G
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad