Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeachMeHowtoDougie

Jul 24, 2011
Arlington, MA
I'm personally in the camp of letting/making him dominate for a full season before bringing him up. That's the level we want him to be at compared to his competition, regardless of what league he's in. Let him do it consistently at each level along the way and give him the best opportunity to carry that success to the pros.
I agree, I definitely think that is the best long term plan for him. Being a Hockey East fan and having seen a lot of guys like McAvoy, Hanifin, etc., he is not at the level those guys were in college yet. He will probably get there, but I think he'd be best served by another year at UMass.

Reactions: Barklez

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bruins fan coming in peace. As an alumni of UMass and someone who watches basically every UMass game, I could tell you guys that Makar is really special, but you already know that. What I will say about last night's game in particular, with it being the first playoff college game he has played, is that it was eye opening how much he raised his game. We saw flashes of dominance and next-level skill throughout the year, but we hadn't seen anything close to what he brought last night until now. He was on a completely different level from everyone else on the ice. The fact that he upped his game so much with more on the line I think bodes well for his future. Of course it would be nice to see that from him every game, but at least you can say that this kid is a big game player.

Makar truly is blueline-MacKinnon.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I believe Makar will be returning for another year. He's played relatively well, but has not outright dominated. This might be due to the team or transitioning from the AJHL. It might not be a concern at this time, but it could possibly be an issue at the Expansion Draft - Seattle. Staying an extra year could ultimately exempt him from the draft.

TeachMeHowtoDougie

Jul 24, 2011
Arlington, MA
Another thing I think he needs to work on is his slapshot/one-timer. He basically exclusively uses wrist shots when shooting from the point, and the few times that I recall seeing him attempt a one-timer this year, he either completely whiffed on it or didn't get nearly enough steam on the shot. Not this his wrist shot isn't effective (it is), but in order to be the power play quarterback that I think a lot of people envision him being, he needs to add a more consistent slapper/one-timer to his arsenal.

Reactions: Pure

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Makar truly is blueline-MacKinnon.

That's actually not a bad way to descried him. The way he knives through the opposition with unmatched speed, and a power element to go with it. He's extremely hard to contain if he gets a little open ice to work with.

Reactions: Pure

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Some teams like Canucks, they had planned out that if they win the lottery, they would pick Makar 1st OA. A few other teams had Makar going higher in the draft too.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That source was around the time of the draft, there were talks about Makar on HF boards. Canucks organization had Makar ranked for them 1st OA and a few others had Makar pretty high also.

Unless there's a picture of the draft board or a very reputable insider, I don't believe it.

Makar is a great prospect, but I really can't see anyone picking Makar 1st OA at the time of the draft.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Unless there's a picture of the draft board or a very reputable insider, I don't believe it.

Makar is a great prospect, but I really can't see anyone picking Makar 1st OA at the time of the draft.

It’s not completely inconceivable. Hiechier, Patrick, Hieskanen... it was definitely a weaker top end draft that year. Wouldn’t surprise me if some teams fell hard for his late rise.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

Avs had him #1

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I dont know what team it was. But I'm certain Bobby Mac mentioned before the draft that at least 1 team had Makar at 1st overall. Because I remember a big thread up at the time on the main boards about what dumb team had him as the #1 guy.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Because it is... Avs had Patrick #1, pretty well known by now.
Well Hepple stated they got the best player in the draft. That sounds #1 to me. Where did you see they had Patrick #1 . Thankfully Avs didn't have the chance to take him .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad