Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm not "hoping" for that, what I hope for is meaningless isn't it?

From the videos I'm watching he's closer in style to Erik Karlsson than to Duncan Keith. I could say Bobby Orr, too. "Take the puck behind the net and skate all the way to the other end" type of defenseman. He won't be like Keith or Subban or Hedman. He will be more like Karlsson or Barrie or Gostisbehere.
Well, I really hope you're wrong on that, because I'll be very disappointed if all we get out of our #4 pick is a player like Barrie.

And for the record, I don't think that'll happen. From what I've seen in college, Makar is a lot more cerebral kind of defenseman who uses his mobility and IQ to keep control of the play. That's Keith's calling card, and while he may have more flash than Keith in the offensive zone, I stand by that comparison.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Makar is way faster than Barrie and better all round skater. He’ll be better defensively just because of that, cause nhl is all about gap control, and u do with with either elite skater or huge reach.

Barrie is good north south and can walk the line but we can clearly see recently with girard and mack the difference between an elite versus good skater.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yes he does

Makar has a 0.0001% chance of becoming as good as Karlsson. I love Makar and think he’ll end up being a damn good player, but if he even comes close to touching a Karlsson level that would be the best draft pick we’ve ever made bar maybe Sakic.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Makar has a 0.0001% chance of becoming as good as Karlsson. I love Makar and think he’ll end up being a damn good player, but if he even comes close to touching a Karlsson level that would be the best draft pick we’ve ever made bar maybe Sakic.
Every so often someone comes along that is better . It happens in all sports . I'm not saying he will be better than Karlsson but he certainly has that level if talent , no question . Makar has an elite skill set.

Reactions: Tommy G

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Every so often someone comes along that is better . It happens in all sports . I'm not saying he Wil be better than Karlsson but he certainly has that level if talent , no question . Makar has an elite skill set.

Of course. Someone will eventually surpass EK, I just don’t personally believe Makar has that type of ceiling.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I also think he could step in right away. Hopefully only a few more months before we see him in an Avs jersey.

Chambers providing some useful info. I thought UMASS looked like they were employing a more up tempo system this year. That was one of the bigger concerns I had with them last year. No wonder Makar is looking so much more comfortable so far. That type of style fits him like a glove. We saw that at the WJC.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Chambers providing some useful info. I thought UMASS looked like they were employing a more up tempo system this year. That was one of the bigger concerns I had with them last year. No wonder Makar is looking so much more comfortable so far. That type of style fits him like a glove. We saw that at the WJC.

Pretty sure that was from Makar's interview during the rookie camp this last summer.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Meh, it's unlikely Makar hits that kind of level. But I dont think it's completely out of the question. He's a remarkable skater, elite offensive instincts and IQ, a fantastic shot and does a very good job at getting it through traffic. And he's got the work ethic to constantly be striving to improve himself. I'd even say it showed his maturity level and work ethic to opt for another year at UMass because he felt he wasn't ready despite lots of pressure from the Avs and other around him to sign and turn pro right away.

When he comes to the NHL he is going to be 100% ready and I expect him to take it by storm. Maybe he doesn't reach Karlsson level as yeah that's one hell of a level to reach, but you just have to wait and see with him. I dont think it's really fair to put a cap on what player he can become at the NHL level. We just have to wait and see what happens.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Meh, it's unlikely Makar hits that kind of level. But I dont think it's completely out of the question. He's a remarkable skater, elite offensive instincts and IQ, a fantastic shot and does a very good job at getting it through traffic. And he's got the work ethic to constantly be striving to improve himself. I'd even say it showed his maturity level and work ethic to opt for another year at UMass because he felt he wasn't ready despite lots of pressure from the Avs and other around him to sign and turn pro right away.

When he comes to the NHL he is going to be 100% ready and I expect him to take it by storm. Maybe he doesn't reach Karlsson level as yeah that's one hell of a level to reach, but you just have to wait and see with him. I dont think it's really fair to put a cap on what player he can become at the NHL level. We just have to wait and see what happens.

The thing that doesn't get touched on enough with Makar arent his tools, which we all know are impressive, but it's his personality. He's got an elite players mindset and confidence. How many college kids would say that they could jump right into the avalanche squad right now and play well?

There's cocky and there's that confidence and swagger that all elite players have. Makar doesnt go on the cocky side but on the swagger side. Obviously you can't say just because he already has that mindset that he's going to be elite. But coupled with his toolbox I'm going to be surprised if he isn't an all-star defenceman one day.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pretty sure that was from Makar's interview during the rookie camp this last summer.

Maybe, but Makar is specifically talking about how UMASS is transitioning into a more up tempo, move your feet quickly, move pucks quickly, get the puck and go style of play. That's what I was referring to. It's been fairly noticeable in what I've seen from them so far this year.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I’ve always said Rielly is his best comparable going back all the way to the draft. People forget how Morgan played in junior now that he’s more of a two way guy, but he’s always been the guy I think Makar turns in to. In terms of both style and impact.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’ve always said Rielly is his best comparable going back all the way to the draft. People forget how Morgan played in junior now that he’s more of a two way guy, but he’s always been the guy I think Makar turns in to. In terms of both style and impact.

I don't think that's a bad comparison at all. I'd love if we could get someone like Reilly.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think he has more potential than that. But if he ends up similar to Reilly that's pretty good.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think that's a bad comparison at all. I'd love if we could get someone like Reilly.
How Makar plays now is exactly how Rielly used to play. I’d be very happy if that’s who Makar becomes. Both high picks in years where the top of the draft was weak, both heralded as the riskiest players in the draft, both more of two way guys that were incorrectly labeled as offensive d on draft day.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Player of the week, for 2 consecutive weeks. 8 points in 4gp. Should be playing pro.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I just don't see all those Makar/Reilly similarities.

Currently reading pre-draft Reilly stuff...he's compared to Letang. Would you guys compare Makar to Letang?

Edit: Man some of the 2012 comments didn't age well.

"Also complicating Rielly’s progression is that there is a logjam of young defencemen in Toronto’s system. Along with Schenn, who is 22 years old, the team has five others —Cody Franson, Jake Gardiner, Stuart Percy, Korbinian Holzer and Jesse Blacker — who are under-25."

“I think everyone knows my feeling on it,” said Burke, who added that positional needs would be addressed through trades. “Winning championships begins and ends on the blue line "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad