Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Foote wasn't ever a big point producer, but he was elite defensively and the perfect defensemen for his era. Vlasic and Foote are not similar in size, but in being in the elite defensive category and fitting their role (in their era) perfectly... they are similar. If you think Vlasic is a #1, then Foote was. If you don't, then I can see why a person doesn't think Foote was.

IMO Foote's biggest issue offensively was more around that once he started to get some age, he just couldn't stay healthy. Even when he played, he was far from 100%

Disagree slightly. If anything he had more trouble staying healthy when he was really young and played a super-rough physical game. He changed things up after double shoulder surgery and became a more complete defenseman.

His biggest issues offensively were simply that he didn't have the instincts nor the real ability. He wasn't a slick passer who could get pucks to forwards through traffic and wasn't gifted with a great shot. His ability to move the puck up-ice remains a bit underrated though. But I really don't recall him being a guy who jumped into the play much.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Disagree slightly. If anything he had more trouble staying healthy when he was really young and played a super-rough physical game. He changed things up after double shoulder surgery and became a more complete defenseman.

His biggest issues offensively were simply that he didn't have the instincts nor the real ability. He wasn't a slick passer who could get pucks to forwards through traffic and wasn't gifted with a great shot. His ability to move the puck up-ice remains a bit underrated though. But I really don't recall him being a guy who jumped into the play much.

Necro quote!

Just stupid levels of confidence.

That is something he never lacks. The talent is clearly there with Makar and all his highlights that y'all are seeing show that quite clearly. Last night was in his top 2 or 3 games that I have seen from him in college. He was real good.

Reactions: cgf and Pokecheque

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Just stupid levels of confidence.

And that also shows why he is likely to be better at the next level (and WAS better for Team Canada.) He makes some very heady plays that get the puck to players that aren't suitably skilled. None of those great dekes and passes were received by a player ready and capable of turning it into a scoring op. I get the desire to not rush him and let him marinate but I think I am in the camp with TV that wants to see him surrounded by higher end talent.

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
I’ve seen Makar make that move a few times, fake a shot from the point and when the player goes down to block it, sprint behind and around him for a better scoring opportunity. It creates a momentary 5-on-4 situation and might cause a scramble or breakdown in coverage if the defense overreacts. Pretty sure I remember Makar scored a goal using that exact play at the WJC.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So, if Makar pans out the Avs will have been fortunate in their draft lottery misfortune?

I don't think so. Hischier is a damn good player and would look amazing right now behind Mackinnon. If we had Hischier as our #2C we'd be sitting in the 1st WC spot. Makar is filthy, but I take the proven commodity.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Girard and Makar are gonna make the opposition dizzy with the spin moves of Girard and Makar's dangles

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I don't think so. Hischier is a damn good player and would look amazing right now behind Mackinnon. If we had Hischier as our #2C we'd be sitting in the 1st WC spot. Makar is filthy, but I take the proven commodity.

Sorry, I should’ve added a sarcasm emoji, as I was attempting to be mildly tongue in cheek. Hischier certainly would’ve been a welcome addition.

TeachMeHowtoDougie

Jul 24, 2011
Arlington, MA
Bruins fan coming in peace. As an alumni of UMass and someone who watches basically every UMass game, I could tell you guys that Makar is really special, but you already know that. What I will say about last night's game in particular, with it being the first playoff college game he has played, is that it was eye opening how much he raised his game. We saw flashes of dominance and next-level skill throughout the year, but we hadn't seen anything close to what he brought last night until now. He was on a completely different level from everyone else on the ice. The fact that he upped his game so much with more on the line I think bodes well for his future. Of course it would be nice to see that from him every game, but at least you can say that this kid is a big game player.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Bruins fan coming in peace. As an alumni of UMass and someone who watches basically every UMass game, I could tell you guys that Makar is really special, but you already know that. What I will say about last night's game in particular, with it being the first playoff college game he has played, is that it was eye opening how much he raised his game. We saw flashes of dominance and next-level skill throughout the year, but we hadn't seen anything close to what he brought last night until now. He was on a completely different level from everyone else on the ice. The fact that he upped his game so much with more on the line I think bodes well for his future. Of course it would be nice to see that from him every game, but at least you can say that this kid is a big game player.

Couple that with big game player Mack and we might be a real force in the playoffs one day! Just have to get there...

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Would you say he's been playing (down) to the level of competition during the regular season or was this more flipping the switch come playoff time? Or possibly increased comfort-level after a season of adapting to a new league?

TeachMeHowtoDougie

Jul 24, 2011
Arlington, MA
Would you say he's been playing (down) to the level of competition during the regular season or was this more flipping the switch come playoff time? Or possibly increased comfort-level after a season of adapting to a new league?
I really do feel strongly that a switch was flipped. Don't necessarily think he was playing down to a certain level during the regular season, I just think he has another gear that for whatever reason he didn't use very often in the regular season. The comfort-level being established was something that definitely happened gradually over the course of the year, so I don't think it was that either.

Reactions: cgf and Jixer19

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I really do feel strongly that a switch was flipped. Don't necessarily think he was playing down to a certain level during the regular season, I just think he has another gear that for whatever reason he didn't use very often in the regular season. The comfort-level being established was something that definitely happened gradually over the course of the year, so I don't think it was that either.

Thanks for the insight! Would be awesome to eventually have a game-breaking talent from the backend to help Mack and Rants carry the load in the big games.

There's been a decent amount of debate around these parts as to whether Makar would be better suited spending another year at UMass or stepping up to the AHL. Any thoughts? By all accounts he hasn't been head and shoulders above NCAA level for most of the season, if he keeps this up in the playoffs do you think he has outgrown NCAA?

TeachMeHowtoDougie

Jul 24, 2011
Arlington, MA
Thanks for the insight! Would be awesome to eventually have a game-breaking talent from the backend to help Mack and Rants carry the load in the big games.

There's been a decent amount of debate around these parts as to whether Makar would be better suited spending another year at UMass or stepping up to the AHL. Any thoughts? By all accounts he hasn't been head and shoulders above NCAA level for most of the season, if he keeps this up in the playoffs do you think he has outgrown NCAA?
No problem! And regarding his status for next year, to be honest, I do think that he would benefit from one more year playing NCAA hockey. For a lot of the year, he didn't stand out nearly as much as I had expected him to in relation to his competition (an opinion shared by a lot of UMass fans). This new level that we saw yesterday is not what we saw for the majority of the year. Though, if he does stay, and brings that level consistently next year, look out.

Reactions: cgf

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
No problem! And regarding his status for next year, to be honest, I do think that he would benefit from one more year playing NCAA hockey. For a lot of the year, he didn't stand out nearly as much as I had expected him to in relation to his competition (an opinion shared by a lot of UMass fans). This new level that we saw yesterday is not what we saw for the majority of the year. Though, if he does stay, and brings that level consistently next year, look out.

I'm personally in the camp of letting/making him dominate for a full season before bringing him up. That's the level we want him to be at compared to his competition, regardless of what league he's in. Let him do it consistently at each level along the way and give him the best opportunity to carry that success to the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->