Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Friedman lives in Toronto and Avs games in the North East are very rarely shown or talked about.

As someone who lived in Toronto for years - I can vouch for this. The only exposure we got is via MacKinnon and a fair chunk are still like "Oh the guy in the Tim Horton's commercial with Crosby?"

Reactions: Avsboy

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
The only reason I want Cale to win is to watch Vancouver fans set their city on fire again.

I’ve been actively antagonizing all my Canucklehead buddies about it all year. I’m in too deep to quit but I’ll be getting quite the earful if Makar doesn’t bring home the hardware.

Missed the last riot, hoping for a front row seat this time. I’ll put a cutout if Cale in my window so he can enjoy his handywork.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar was clearly the best rookie but missing a bunch of games does have an impact. Had he not missed games there wouldn't be much debates and the Calder would be one of the easiest awards to hand out this year.

Reactions: Murzu

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm just thankful now that everyone's votes are public. You can get to see who has no idea what they are doing.

Because they didn't vote for the Avs player?

Let's not get immature and silly about this. Hughes has just as good and arguably a better season than Makar, plus he was healthy the entire year.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

Let's not get immature and silly about this. Hughes has just as good and arguably a better season than Makar, plus he was healthy the entire year.

I took it more as a sweeping, now we can evaluate each voter’s opinion. No mention of of Makar or Hughes, aside from the fact it was a comment in the Makar thread.

Maybe less projecting/assuming before being critical of our fellow Avs fans next time? Unless you secretly want to watch everyone get silly and immature...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

There are people who don’t take it serious though and it has nothing to do with Hughes/Makar. Travis Yost gets a vote and he selected EP over guys like Mackinnon for the Hart. Adrian freaking Dater gets a vote.

I like that votes are public too. I see these clowns often putting their own spin on things. For example they’ll say that when they selected their Hart vote they don’t base it on “importance to their team” and they simply vote for the best player in the league. I actually think the Hart should simply be the best player in the league but it’s not. That’s not the definition of the Hart and until it is you should vote on it the way it’s supposed to. These guys take great pride in these awards and some even have bonus money based on how it plays out. They deserve to see the names of the clowns who voted based on their own agenda.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Obviously the people who think Makar had the better season don't think Hughes season was just as good.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There are people who don’t take it serious though and it has nothing to do with Hughes/Makar. Travis Yost gets a vote and he selected EP over guys like Mackinnon for the Hart. Adrian freaking Dater gets a vote.

I like that votes are public too. I see these clowns often putting their own spin on things. For example they’ll say that when they selected their Hart vote they don’t base it on “importance to their team” and they simply vote for the best player in the league. I actually think the Hart should simply be the best player in the league but it’s not. That’s not the definition of the Hart and until it is you should vote on it the way it’s supposed to. These guys take great pride in these awards and some even have bonus money based on how it plays out. They deserve to see the names of the clowns who voted based on their own agenda.
Dater last year apologized because he forgot about Hedman when he submitted his top 5 for the Norris. He got called out because he was like the only journalist without him in his top 5.

edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you're going to leave something up to a vote, you're going to have a bunch of dumb votes. If it's not bias or irrational thinking getting in the way, it's just plain mistakes.

The human memory is so much worse than people realize too. We form entire impressions of people and things based on false memories all the time. Eye witness accounts can be very unreliable because humans get specific details wrong constantly.

Pretty silly for Dater to forget about Hedman, but we've all done something similar. The expectation is that you should think everything through if you're given the opportunity to vote, but not everyone does, and even if they do, people are still gonna make simple mistakes.

It's good the NHL voting is public though. I think a lot of these writers would put even less thought into it if they were still anonymous.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Dater last year apologized because he forgot about Hedman when he submitted his top 5 for the Norris. He got called out because he was like the only journalist without him in his top 5.

edit:

I like how he doesn’t even really take responsibility for his vote lol

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Woah....woah....woah.....Back up. My quote had nothing to do with who voted for Hughes vs Makar. It had everything to do with the fact that you often read the results and find yourself wondering who the f*** voted this guy in the Selke or Norris race. While it's nice to have a few members from your team get individual accolades, I'm really only concerned about one trophy and not one single person gets a vote on it.

Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Woah....woah....woah.....Back up. My quote had nothing to do with who voted for Hughes vs Makar. It had everything to do with the fact that you often read the results and find yourself wondering who the f*** voted this guy in the Selke or Norris race. While it's nice to have a few members from your team get individual accolades, I'm really only concerned about one trophy and not one single person gets a vote on it.

Fair enough. My apologies for assuming in that case.

I just think a lot of people here are really undervaluing the season Hughes had because Makar is his competition for the Calder. Both guys easily had seasons fully deserving of the Calder and whatever way the vote goes theres no right or wrong choice to be made.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, I won’t have an issue if Hughes wins the Calder.

The games missed are a key factor. If Makar hadn’t missed those games I think he would have been the clear winner. Still close obviously, but an edge to Makar.

But, he did miss games, so that has to be taken into account in the vote.

Reactions: MaKarter

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
  • Hughes wins Calder
  • Hughes signs bigger contract than Makar
  • Makar will have more points than Hughes in every season.
  • Hughes will get traded at some point during his career.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
There should be two sets of awards. One for writers, one for players. Professional athletes might be idiots but they can't be worse at picking good ones than the collection of brain geniuses that cover the NHL.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
  • Hughes wins Calder
  • Hughes signs bigger contract than Makar
  • Makar will have more points than Hughes in every season.
  • Hughes will get traded at some point during his career.
Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Makar wins Calder

Makar signs 9x8

Makar has more points than Hughes every year

Makar wins 4 cups and 6 Norris trophies

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There should be two sets of awards. One for writers, one for players. Professional athletes might be idiots but they can't be worse at picking good ones than the collection of brain geniuses that cover the NHL.
I say every year that the players should be the ones voting on every award aside from maybe the GM of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille