Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Before this covid nightmare I thought we'd be lucky to get him under 10, but now the cap probably won't rise anytime soon

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Before this covid nightmare I thought we'd be lucky to get him under 10, but now the cap probably won't rise anytime soon
You would imagine it would be hard for him to pass up a 8x8 offer just because of the symmetry with his jersey number.

Oh shit...he's swapping numbers to 18 this summer isn't he?

Reactions: McMetal

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Votes will be distributed based on which type of player that voter values more. We’re splitting hairs on a lot of stats here but these two kids similarities start and end with being small(ish) offensive d men. They couldn’t play much more different.

Do you value power or elusiveness?
Shooting or passing?
an ok team that he sticks out on or an elite team he fits in seamlessly

Reactions: Barklez

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Is Makar going to be the highest paid Av on his new contract? I don't think so, personally. I think he'll land just a hair over 8M

On a short term deal maybe, but no agent is letting Makar sign 8m long term. He’d be leaving millions on the table.

He was 3rd in points per game among defensemen, AS A ROOKIE. $9-9.5 is the lowest I could see as a long term AAV

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
On a short term deal maybe, but no agent is letting Makar sign 8m long term. He’d be leaving millions on the table.

He was 3rd in points per game among defensemen, AS A ROOKIE. $9-9.5 is the lowest I could see as a long term AAV

I think the Avs are going to try and go long term with Makar. Not sure if that will fly with the Makar camp, but I’ll guess

$9.8M X 8

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Friedman voted for Hughes so I'm done with him! Who let this guy vote anyway?

MiaNFTa__400x400.jpg

Reactions: avsfan09

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just out of curiosity how much media coverage did Makar get in Canada this year compared to Hughes?

Cale is Canadian and Quinn is American but Canada loves gushing over the players on Canadian teams because that's their audience.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just out of curiosity how much media coverage did Makar get in Canada this year compared to Hughes?

Cale is Canadian and Quinn is American but Canada loves gushing over the players on Canadian teams because that's their audience.

Makar got a ton of media coverage. Before his injury in December, he was talked about as a lock for the Calder by most people and some (Marek, I believe was one) were throwing him in the Norris mix as well.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

According to sources, the NHLPA has named its 12 negotiation committee members: Justin Abdelkader (Detroit); Ian Cole (Colorado); JT Compher (Colorado); Andrew Copp (Winnipeg); Lars Eller (Washington); Justin Faulk (St. Louis); Nick Foligno (Columbus); Ron Hainsey (Ottawa); Zach Hyman (Toronto); Anders Lee (Islanders); Darnell Nurse (Edmonton) and Yannick Weber (Nashville). Any other player who wishes to participate in these conversations can do so.

Two Avs players out of 12.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Makar got a ton of media coverage. Before his injury in December, he was talked about as a lock for the Calder by most people and some (Marek, I believe was one) were throwing him in the Norris mix as well.

Interesting, I actually hadn't read Friedman's article before making that comment, but his first paragraph addressed some of the bias I was referring to.

"It’s close, but I voted for Hughes. One of the recent criticisms of my voting — which I agree with and try to address — is that I have a confirmation bias for those who play on Canadian teams. It’s not that I favour these players, but I watch them much more so it can skew my perspective for better or worse."

"Every Canucks game I watched next to Kelly Hrudey saw the ex-goalie hypnotized by two things: the arrival of late-night pizza and Hughes’ passing ability."

So as I kind of suspected, a lot of the reason Friedman picked Hughes comes from watching a ton of Canucks games and sitting next to Kelly Hrudey gushing all over Hughes. Something they likely spent MUCH less time doing with Makar because they don't cover the Avs nearly as much.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Friedman lives in Toronto and Avs games in the North East are very rarely shown or talked about.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
According to sources, the NHLPA has named its 12 negotiation committee members: Justin Abdelkader (Detroit); Ian Cole (Colorado); JT Compher (Colorado); Andrew Copp (Winnipeg); Lars Eller (Washington); Justin Faulk (St. Louis); Nick Foligno (Columbus); Ron Hainsey (Ottawa); Zach Hyman (Toronto); Anders Lee (Islanders); Darnell Nurse (Edmonton) and Yannick Weber (Nashville). Any other player who wishes to participate in these conversations can do so.

Two Avs players out of 12.

The NHLPA thinks Avalanche players suck at negotiating. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Chiarelli

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Interesting, I actually hadn't read Friedman's article before making that comment, but his first paragraph addressed some of the bias I was referring to.

"It’s close, but I voted for Hughes. One of the recent criticisms of my voting — which I agree with and try to address — is that I have a confirmation bias for those who play on Canadian teams. It’s not that I favour these players, but I watch them much more so it can skew my perspective for better or worse."

"Every Canucks game I watched next to Kelly Hrudey saw the ex-goalie hypnotized by two things: the arrival of late-night pizza and Hughes’ passing ability."

So as I kind of suspected, a lot of the reason Friedman picked Hughes comes from watching a ton of Canucks games and sitting next to Kelly Hrudey gushing all over Hughes. Something they likely spent MUCH less time doing with Makar because they don't cover the Avs nearly as much.

At least he admitted it.

Friedman’s been set on Hughes for a while.

The first time the Avs played the Canucks he said that Hughes would be his Calder vote, so I guessed liked him then and still likes him now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
At least he admitted it.

Friedman’s been set on Hughes for a while.

The first time the Avs played the Canucks he said that Hughes would be his Calder vote, so I guessed liked him then and still likes him now.

Really? The Avs played the Nucks first on November 16th. Hopefully that wasn't a serious comment or his bias is completely out of hand. I like Friedman too.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Really? The Avs played the Nucks first on November 16th. Hopefully that wasn't a serious comment or his bias is completely out of hand. I like Friedman too.

It was made about who he liked at the time. So he could’ve changed his mind I guess, but ended up staying with Hughes.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into Friedman’s voting. He works for Sportsnet and they cater very much to Canadian markets. Not that he can’t decide for himself, but Sportsnet is focused on growing their brand in Canada, so they’re constantly pushing the Leafs/Canucks/Jets onto their viewers.

More exposure to Hughes, versus Makar.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I wouldn’t put a ton of stock into Friedman’s voting. He works for Sportsnet and they cater very much to Canadian markets. Not that he can’t decide for himself, but Sportsnet is focused on growing their brand in Canada, so they’re constantly pushing the Leafs/Canucks/Jets onto their viewers.

More exposure to Hughes, versus Makar.

You’re not wrong, but pretty sure TSN still has the rights for the Jets stuff. Obviously doesn’t affect me much so I’m not 100% on that but FYI.

Reactions: ibengals

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm just thankful now that everyone's votes are public. You can get to see who has no idea what they are doing.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019

For better or worse... like obviously it's going to be for the better. Hughes and Makar are so talented that watching them you're going to be impressed. So it's pretty unfair and 100% Canadian team bias

Go trim your beard you f***ing hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad