Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
What do you guys think Makar's next contract is going to look like, in terms of AAV and term? What are his closest comparables if he keeps up the same pace he has had so far until next summer?

I'm hoping for 8.5M x 8yrs. The most imporant thing is we get him for as long as possible, even if it costs 10/year.

Chabot is a good comparable.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see any way Makar signs long term for less than $9M. If they can get him for under $10M it'll be a very good deal really.

I also don't think it would be crazy for Makar to put up 80-90 points next year, have a dominant playoffs, win the Norris, and then become the highest paid D man in the league at $12M if he and his agent want to get max value.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It’s a good comparable, unless Makar drops 70 points next year.

Which might be on the low end if he stays healthy. Makar was on pace for 72 points over 82 games this year, and we all saw how many posts he hit, and teammates that didn't convert on his passes.

Reactions: Barklez

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Which might be on the low end if he stays healthy. Makar was on pace for 72 points over 82 games this year, and we all saw how many posts he hit, and teammates that didn't convert on his passes.

It’s hard to know for sure. Teams will defend him a little bit differently next year, but he’ll also be better adjusted to NHL speed.

I’d definitely be surprised if he doesn’t get at least 60 points.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It’s hard to know for sure. Teams will defend him a little bit differently next year, but he’ll also be better adjusted to NHL speed.

I’d definitely be surprised if he doesn’t get at least 60 points.

Personally I'll be surprised if he doesn't have a higher pts/gm rate. Or at least the same rate, which would mean 70 points in a healthy season.

For how good he was, it's pretty clear to me he can produce more than he did. There were just too many hit posts, passes that teammates weren't ready for, and the fact that he was still a rookie learning game by game what works.

I'm sure teams will play him harder next year, but there's only so much they can do to stop him. It's like trying to contain McDavid. The only way to contain him is to hope he's injured or not on his game. It's really up to Cale to determine how dominant he'll be.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Personally I'll be surprised if he doesn't have a higher pts/gm rate. Or at least the same rate, which would mean 70 points in a healthy season.

For how good he was, it's pretty clear to me he can produce more than he did. There were just too many hit posts, passes that teammates weren't ready for, and the fact that he was still a rookie learning game by game what works.

I'm sure teams will play him harder next year, but there's only so much they can do to stop him. It's like trying to contain McDavid. The only way to contain him is to hope he's injured or not on his game. It's really up to Cale to determine how dominant he'll be.

I don’t disagree with anything here, I’m just trying to temper my own expectations haha.

I also think the power play will be better next year, which will naturally boost his numbers.

Reactions: Foppa2118

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What Makar gets will depend on what Dahlin gets. Which is good news for us considering that Buffalo has such a history of giving out savvy deals... :help:

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What Makar gets will depend on what Dahlin gets. Which is good news for us considering that Buffalo has such a history of giving out savvy deals... :help:

I don't know, Botterill hasn't had to sign many stars. He's mostly signed guys on ELC's and bridge deals for role players.

When he has had to sign a star he's basically given them the max. Eichel getting $10M x 8 a year before his ELC expired and before he broke out, was basically the max at the time. Though he's clearly worth it now.

Also, Skinner getting $9M x 8 as a UFA looked like a desperation over payment at the time, and so far he's proven himself as not worth that deal.

I'm sort of expecting Dahlin to get a max out type of deal too. If he didn't play hardball with Eichel, I doubt he does with Dahlin.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
To date I think the Chabot contract is the best comparable. Dahlin, Hughes, and Heiskanen will all be contracts to watch.

I still think the Avs can get that contract done for $8-9m.

If I was his agent I would wait till the end of his last season rather than sign this off-season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm hoping for 8.5M x 8yrs. The most imporant thing is we get him for as long as possible, even if it costs 10/year.

Chabot is a good comparable.

The Chabot contract is the best-case-scenario that we hope Cale is buying into that MacK-gospel enough to settle for.

Chabot's deal is likely to be the absolute minimum that any of these amazing young blueliners who are coming up soon...Dahlin, Seth, Cale, Quinn, Heiskanen...will be getting.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The Chabot contract is the best-case-scenario that we hope Cale is buying into that MacK-gospel enough to settle for.

Chabot's deal is likely to be the absolute minimum that any of these amazing young blueliners who are coming up soon...Dahlin, Seth, Cale, Quinn, Heiskanen...will be getting.
When Chabot signed his contract the expectation was that the cap would continue to rise a lot in the next couple of years. That's not so certain anymore, so perhaps his contract is where those guys will look to land rather than being a springboard.
To date I think the Chabot contract is the best comparable. Dahlin, Hughes, and Heiskanen will all be contracts to watch.

I still think the Avs can get that contract done for $8-9m.

If I was his agent I would wait till the end of his last season rather than sign this off-season.
Yes, Makar could wait until the end of next season, but he could also play it safe (in uncertain economic times) and take a good long-term deal to secure his financial future early, just like Girard did recently.

I mean, if he gets offered $9m x 8 years ($72 million) it would take some pretty big cojones to turn that down for the chance of making ~10% more over the length of the contract - while in the meantime running the risk of a number of things that could derail (eg. injury, cap dropping, societal economic upheaval, etc).

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
When Chabot signed his contract the expectation was that the cap would continue to rise a lot in the next couple of years. That's not so certain anymore, so perhaps his contract is where those guys will look to land rather than being a springboard.

Yes, Makar could wait until the end of next season, but he could also play it safe (in uncertain economic times) and take a good long-term deal to secure his financial future early, just like Girard did recently.

I mean, if he gets offered $9m x 8 years ($72 million) it would take some pretty big cojones to turn that down for the chance of making ~10% more over the length of the contract - while in the meantime running the risk of a number of things that could derail (eg. injury, cap dropping, societal economic upheaval, etc).

As I fan I could live with that deal but I honestly don't think the Avs are going to offer Makar that deal. I think Chabot is the closest comparable and he signed for $8m and at 9.82% of the cap, with the expectation that the cap would rise. Assuming a cap of $81.5m the equivalent contract for Makar at 9.82% would also be $8m ($8,003,300). You also have to consider that many experts are predicting a flat cap for several season so going forward there won't be that extra 2-4m of cap inflation every season to help cover raises. I think an 8x8 contract is more than fair given the changes to the economy. I could see Makar's agent waiting the extra year just to see if the salary cap/economy improves in a years time.

Reactions: Richard88

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

It will be interesting to see what effect the cap has on Makar's deal, but he and Girard are in much different situations.

It made sense for Girard to sign a safe, long term deal early, and for less money because he wasn't putting up big numbers, but Makar has come out of the gate on fire. It would be a terrible business move for him to sign the same type of deal because he can command top dollar right now.

G was coming off a 23 point in 73 games rookie season, and 27 points in 82 games sophomore year. That's 50 points in his first 155 games.

Cale matched that point total in a shortened rookie season with 50 points in 57 games.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If you guys could pick one perfect partner to pair with Makar, who is it?

For me it’s Slavin. Hedman’s better, but I just think Slavin suits him better.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Prime Vlasic. But of current players I would say the best fits would be Slavin, Pesce, McAvoy(if he was a lefty), maybe even Carlo(if he was a lefty).

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

Suter. If he was a few years younger he’d be absolutely perfect. I’d still take him now over any partners the Avs are able to give Makar for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig