Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I think the Avs have something special in Makar. Those others young d men are fine and all but they don't have the skill at top speed that Makar utilizes. No the Avs and the league might just have to come up with a new position for players like Makar.

Wait till you see Byram.

Reactions: Ararana

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Byram has become almost an afterthought since we gotten to see Cale play. We Av fans are a spoiled lot right now.

I've caught myself in this throughout the season as well, especially earlier when Byram was "struggling". We have probably the best drafted defenseman not in the NHL and half of us don't seem to care because Makar is the second coming of Jesus.

giphy.gif

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Byram has become almost an afterthought since we gotten to see Cale play. We Av fans are a spoiled lot right now. Whenever I seen Makar highlights prior to the NHL I thought special player. Everytime I see Bowen play I think Thomas Hickey.

I wouldn’t worry about Byram. The struggles he experienced when he started the year are very natural. You see it all the time where a highly drafted player is disappointed they get sent down and they struggle out of the gate. I believe when the WHL cancelled play he was 3rd in primary points among defenceman at even strength.

Obviously he’s not Makar, but he was touted by many analysts as a top pairing defenceman coming in to the draft and I still think he’s on that path.

He’s a good skater, with great hands and a high hockey IQ. Lots of tools to work with.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
A rich mans EJ?

Less of a horse physically, but that’s pretty much what I expect, remember when EJ used to lead the rush?

The level of dman many of us told ourselves EJ was, but realistically he only sustained briefly with the Avs.

I do think Byram is more accurate and selective with his shot and will more consistently put himself in positions to use it than EJ ever has.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Does Makar start playing on the penalty kill next year? I get that his talents are best suited playing offense, but if he can become an all around number 1 dman it would do wonders for the team.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Does Makar start playing on the penalty kill next year? I get that his talents are best suited playing offense, but if he can become an all around number 1 dman it would do wonders for the team.

I’d be surprised if Makar is deployed on the PK next year. There’s no need to waste his energy, when he can create a far larger impact for the team at even strength and on the power play.

A number one D doesn’t need to kill penalties. They do need to be able to handle big minutes at even strength, which I think we will see from Makar next season. I would suspect he plays around 23/24 minutes a game next year, which is what most 1D play.

He started playing those kind of minutes quite a few times in his last 20 games, or so this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think he would be good at it, given his IQ and skating ability to close gaps quickly. So I don't think he would be "wasted" there, but I also see the argument that there are other players who can PK, but none who can do what he does on the PP and at ES.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I disagree here. A 1D should be able to play all aspects of the game.

Makar probably isn’t ever going to be a 1D then, if that’s how you view it.

I’m sure he’d be fine PK’ing, but I doubt it’s a strategy Bednar uses.

A defenceman who kills penalties doesn’t add a lot of value to me. There are all kinds of D around the league who are really not that good who play on the penalty kill.

It’s the same thing with forwards. Do you want Nate MacKinnon killing penalties? I sure as hell don’t haha. It’s a waste of his skills and energy. You can only play these guys so many minutes a night.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram has become almost an afterthought since we gotten to see Cale play. We Av fans are a spoiled lot right now. Whenever I seen Makar highlights prior to the NHL I thought special player. Everytime I see Bowen play I think Thomas Hickey.

That's how I view Girard. I was so incredibly impressed with his hockey IQ and skating ability. It was so much better than what we'd seen from an Av defenseman in forever.

Then Makar came in and completely overshadowed him. :laugh: It's crazy when I think about it, but I've become accustomed to both of them making elite plays 4 or 5 times a game. Their ability has been normalized because they both do these things every game.

We could go years without seeing the kind of moves and plays they make as defenseman in the past. We forget sometimes (myself included) how incredibly fortunate we are to watch this current group of Avalanche players.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I just think it’s great and lucky we have Makar and Mackinnon on the same team. Then you can add up all of the supporting cast and prospects and throw a guy who knows what it takes to win on top as coach and then also one as a GM......I’m going to sit back and enjoy the ride for a couple of years.

Gawd I miss the NHL this time of year.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What do you guys think Makar's next contract is going to look like, in terms of AAV and term? What are his closest comparables if he keeps up the same pace he has had so far until next summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad