Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Not to take away from Q. Hughes, who is and will be an insanely good superstar defenseman, but Makar is just a little bit better.

Reactions: Barklez

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not to take away from Q. Hughes, who is and will be an insanely good superstar defenseman, but Makar is just a little bit better.

Wherever people fall in that opinion is irrelevant. Calder isn't about who is the better player or who will be the better player. It is the best rookie season. The two best players in the world didn't win the Calder. Nor did any of the current top ~30 defensemen. If Hughes wins, it doesn't mean he will be better. If Makar wins, it doesn't mean he will be better.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wherever people fall in that opinion is irrelevant. Calder isn't about who is the better player or who will be the better player. It is the best rookie season. The two best players in the world didn't win the Calder. Nor did any of the current top ~30 defensemen. If Hughes wins, it doesn't mean he will be better. If Makar wins, it doesn't mean he will be better.
True, but that isn't exactly what I said. And I feel like it's splitting hairs to say that it's not the best player who wins, it's who had the best rookie season. Unless someone's rookie season is drastically cut short by an injury, a la McDavid, they're kind of one and the same thing, no?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
True, but that isn't exactly what I said. And I feel like it's splitting hairs to say that it's not the best player who wins, it's who had the best rookie season. Unless someone's rookie season is drastically cut short by an injury, a la McDavid, they're kind of one and the same thing, no?

No I wouldn't agree at all. Many better players have lost the award.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
No I wouldn't agree at all. Many better players have lost the award.
What do you mean by that though? Do you mean "players who would go on to become better than the player that won the Calder"? Or "the better player the season the Calder was awarded, without regard for who would eventually have the better career"? Because I'm talking about the second one.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What do you mean by that though? Do you mean "players who would go on to become better than the player that won the Calder"? Or "the better player the season the Calder was awarded, without regard for who would eventually have the better career"? Because I'm talking about the second one.

Better in the season they were awarded. Many factors come into play, but it is frequently a stats award... and the best stats isn't always the best player.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Better in the season they were awarded. Many factors come into play, but it is frequently a stats award... and the best stats isn't always the best player.
What are some examples recently where that's the case? The last time I can think of where the Calder definitely should have gone to somebody else was the year Ekblad won it, but even then he didn't outscore Gaudreau and Stone, so it wasn't based on numbers. Politics surely enters into the NHL awards, too, so maybe that's what you mean.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What are some examples recently where that's the case? The last time I can think of where the Calder definitely should have gone to somebody else was the year Ekblad won it, but even then he didn't outscore Gaudreau and Stone, so it wasn't based on numbers. Politics surely enters into the NHL awards, too, so maybe that's what you mean.

Bread, Ekblad, Landy, Myers (Tavares was 5th....)... sometimes they get the best player... sometimes they don’t.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Just going to post some Makar Gifs because I saw this thread resurface.

upload_2020-5-21_22-6-23.gif

upload_2020-5-21_22-7-20.gif

upload_2020-5-21_22-8-8.gif

upload_2020-5-21_22-9-18.gif

upload_2020-5-21_22-9-58.gif

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Andrew Raycroft has a Calder.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think Zetterberg should have won over Jackman. I was pretty pissed off that night.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Slavin is a stud dman. Its too bad more people don't see this. Its also equally sad that he was in the Avs backyard and they didn't draft him.

Avs actually rarely draft local... Slavin Bros, Shore Bros, Terry, Carlo, Foote Bros, Lemieux, Bishop, Jones Bros, Turgeon, Hawkey, Olofsson, Gambrell, etc. Plenty of talent has filtered through Colorado and the Avs basically steer clear (except Clurman and Stastny)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Avs actually rarely draft local... Slavin Bros, Shore Bros, Terry, Carlo, Foote Bros, Lemieux, Bishop, Jones Bros, Turgeon, Hawkey, Olofsson, Gambrell, etc. Plenty of talent has filtered through Colorado and the Avs basically steer clear (except Clurman and Stastny)
Seems odd. Some good players to be had there outside the 1st round.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve also been expecting Cale Morris to sign two years in a row now and it just isn’t going to happen.

Reactions: henchman21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad