Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Lol that radio show was such bullshit. Bunch of homers.

His only argument was that Makar has better players around him. Might be true, if we didn't have most of that talent injured a large part of the year. Makar was the 2nd highest point getter on the team and he also missed several games. Just so unintelligent.

Yeah, he should have made a better argument then that. He should have said that Makar was playing on the line with Mackinnon more then other dman.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Always interesting to hear the other side as well.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

His only argument was that Makar has better players around him. Might be true, if we didn't have most of that talent injured a large part of the year. Makar was the 2nd highest point getter on the team and he also missed several games. Just so unintelligent.

:laugh:

And I'm sure Vancouver fans reading our boards or watching Avs videos will say the same thing.

Fact is it's extremely close between the two and the voting can go either way. Simple as that. If anything suggesting otherwise is what actually looks unintelligent.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
:laugh:

And I'm sure Vancouver fans reading our boards or watching Avs videos will say the same thing.

Fact is it's extremely close between the two and the voting can go either way. Simple as that. If anything suggesting otherwise is what actually looks unintelligent.
Considering the title is that Hughes has “exponentially more positive” impact on his team than Makar, I don’t think what I said was inaccurate in the slightest. I mean for goodness sake look at my post history re: Hughes, I’m quite complimentary of his game.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

Agreed. As a Rangers fan that doesn’t really like either team, Makar > Hughes. Even not taking points into consideration, I think it’s clear Makar is better. Not by a lot, but not by a tiny bit either. But I’m just one guy and it’s one opinion.

Reactions: Makar27

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Hughes advantages over Makar lie in his puck skill and maybe a slight edge in passing.

Makar is a generational skater for a defenceman imo. He really has no weakness in his skating and does things that I haven’t seen before. I also think he has a great mind for how to initiate offence at even strength. Hughes does as well, but Makar more so imo.

Honestly, the two are very different players. Each offering something quite unique.

Again, I'm not saying that Cale has a weakness. Just that Hughes' shiftiness & how nimbly he dances east-west is even more exceptional than Cale's. Just like Cale's explosiveness & north-south burst are even more exceptional than Hughes', despite Hughes being an exceptional skater in his own right. Cale's explosiveness is unique, but Hughes, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Chabot, etc. are also absolutely extraordinary skaters.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Again, I'm not saying that Cale has a weakness. Just that Hughes' shiftiness & how nimbly he dances east-west is even more exceptional than Cale's. Just like Cale's explosiveness & north-south burst are even more exceptional than Hughes', despite Hughes being an exceptional skater in his own right. Cale's explosiveness is unique, but Hughes, Heiskanen, Dahlin, Chabot, etc. are also absolutely extraordinary skaters.

I’m not taking anything away from those guys. The players you listed are the best young defenceman in the league and could end up better players than Makar, who knows.

I just think that Makar’s lateral, short-area movement and shiftiness is getting a little undervalued imo. He actually leaves dudes in the dust sometimes because of his lateral movement.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I agree the commentary is garbage.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I agree the commentary is garbage that focused on a couple of areas:
  • Position difficulty;
  • Age.
Specifically mentioned Kubalik eliminates his chances against a DMan.

VAN fans always compare the 1 year age difference with Makar over Hughes. Yet, comparing ROY last season Dahlin played a tougher position, terrible team and 1.5 younger than EP.

Makar is the clear ROY.

Reactions: Makar27

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Random question.

Out of the top young defenceman: Makar, Dahlin, Hughes, Heiskanen, Chabot.

Makar is the only one that shoots right. Do you think that ups his value at all?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’m not taking anything away from those guys. The players you listed are the best young defenceman in the league and could end up better players than Makar, who knows.

I just think that Makar’s lateral, short-area movement and shiftiness is getting a little undervalued imo. He actually leaves dudes in the dust sometimes because of his lateral movement.

You kind of are by putting Cale in tier of his own. He is an amazing skater, and the fact that his advantage over his peers is most pronounced in his burst doesn't mean he isn't also a very nimble skater as well. So saying that someone like Hughes is even shiftier is not to undervalue Cale but to point out just how special that other player is in his area of strength. I didn't just list the best young blueliners I listed the other kids around Cale's age who are also genuinely elite NHL skaters.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You kind of are by putting Cale in tier of his own. He is an amazing skater, and the fact that his advantage over his peers is most pronounced in his burst doesn't mean he isn't also a very nimble skater as well. So saying that someone like Hughes is even shiftier is not to undervalue Cale but to point out just how special that other player is in his area of strength. I didn't just list the best young blueliners I listed the other kids around Cale's age who are also genuinely elite NHL skaters.

There’s a good discussion ongoing on the main board, if you want to join in btw.

I created a thread asking people who they thought of Heiskanen, Dahlin, Makar, and Hughes will end up the best.

I ended up picking Dahlin. But the topic basically revolves around the top young defenceman in the game. Some folks are inserting McAvoy into the discussion too, which makes a lot of sense.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
There’s a good discussion ongoing on the main board, if you want to join in btw.

I created a thread asking people who they thought of Heiskanen, Dahlin, Makar, and Hughes will end up the best.

I ended up picking Dahlin. But the topic basically revolves around the top young defenceman in the game. Some folks are inserting McAvoy into the discussion too, which makes a lot of sense.
Dahlin is my pick of all those guys. I have Makar and Miro equal with Hughes just barely under them.

Reactions: Patagonia and cgf

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the Avs have something special in Makar. Those others young d men are fine and all but they don't have the skill at top speed that Makar utilizes. No the Avs and the league might just have to come up with a new position for players like Makar.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think the Avs have something special in Makar. Those others young d men are fine and all but they don't have the skill at top speed that Makar utilizes. No the Avs and the league might just have to come up with a new position for players like Makar.
Huh? Dahlin especially does while having better potential defensively. Heiskanen is about as good a skater as Makar is and may be less skilled but is far and away the best defender of that group. Hughes has equal level skill and skating as Makar. I think Chabot while still a future elite player is like a quarter step behind that group. Makar is one of the best young dmen in the league but he isn’t head and shoulders ahead of those guys.

Reactions: cgf

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Huh? Dahlin especially does while having better potential defensively. Heiskanen is about as good a skater as Makar is and may be less skilled but is far and away the best defender of that group. Hughes has equal level skill and skating as Makar. I think Chabot while still a future elite player is like a quarter step behind that group. Makar is one of the best young dmen in the league but he isn’t head and shoulders ahead of those guys.

This! Thanks for being a realistic fan. As a Canuck fan I hear people say the same things about Hughes. It’s impossible to definitively say ones is superior than the other at this point in their careers.

Reactions: cgf

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
This! Thanks for being a realistic fan. As a Canuck fan I hear people say the same things about Hughes. It’s impossible to definitively say ones is superior than the other at this point in their careers.

How dare any Avs fan on an Avs forum have the audacity to think their guy is better. :sarcasm:

Reactions: MonsterMack

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
All those guys are very close to one another.

I personally think Makar has the second most potential out of the group, behind Dahlin mainly because of his athleticism. I just think his speed to join the rush and eliminate opportunities when coming back is the best in the league.

But, they’ll all be closely linked throughout their careers. In the thread going on the main board, Hughes is getting way undervalued imo.

In terms of watching the games, we’re pretty lucky to have Makar. This year was the most fun I’ve had watching Avs hockey, probably since the glory days. A big reason for that is because of Makar. He’s good for a couple jaw dropping plays a night.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
All those guys are very close to one another.

I personally think Makar has the second most potential out of the group, behind Dahlin mainly because of his athleticism. I just think his speed to join the rush and eliminate opportunities when coming back is the best in the league.

But, they’ll all be closely linked throughout their careers. In the thread going on the main board, Hughes is getting way undervalued imo.

In terms of watching the games, we’re pretty lucky to have Makar. This year was the most fun I’ve had watching Avs hockey, probably since the glory days. A big reason for that is because of Makar. He’s good for a couple jaw dropping plays a night.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Makar has become joint most exciting Av for me this season alongside MacK and, similar to Mackinnon, while there will be guys in and around the same talent tier as Makar, it’s an elite group and you can’t lose with any of them.

That being said, I don’t know that there is anyone I would trade either of them for. They both completely embody the Avs’ identity and are tailor-made to wreak havoc together. I’m all-in for this joyride for as long as it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad