Prospect Info: Cale Makar - D [4th Overall] Part III: Not A Prospect Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
With 50 points and better stats vs Hughes like goals, +/-, P/GP... is it possible to see our #8 to win the Calder with only 57 games played ??

Hope

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
With 50 points and better stats vs Hughes like goals, +/-, P/GP... is it possible to see our #8 to win the Calder with only 57 games played ??

Hope
More goals too, 12 vs. 8. I'm hopeful, but given that Hughes is on a Canadian team... We've seen how bias can sway the voters before with the Hart, there's a good chance Hughes wins just because he's in Vancouver.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If the season gets cancelled I wonder if the Avs could get just a little bit of a discount on a Makar contract this summer.

50 points in 57 games is pretty crazy for a rookie defenceman, but maybe the small sample size reflects in negotiations.

Ultimately it probably doesn’t get done until his rookie deal expires, but you never know.

The fact that the Avs got Girard done before he truly came into his own, is going to pay big dividends. Maybe the same could happen with Cale.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
You're not getting a discount with Cale unless that's what Cale wants. You either pay for the player you expect him to be or he'll just wait to sign his longterm deal. The Chabot deal is the best-case scenario.

Yeah, that would definitely be team friendly. The Chabot contract would be a steal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, that would definitely be team friendly. The Chabot contract would be a steal.

Yeah, and after the rookie season Cale has had I'm pretty sure it's just a fantasy unless he really buys into what MacK was saying about his next contract and willingly takes less than he should to make Joe's job easier.

Between Cale, Dahlin, Hughes, Heiskanen & Seth signing his long term UFA deal; that Chabot contract will get blown out of the water by the summer of 2021 & we'll have a new upper limit to young star blueliner pay. Which will certainly be interesting to see play out, as we find out which one of them sets that high-water mark.

I still think it'll be Dahlin...even during his "sophomore slump" this season he's paced for 55 pts (40 in 59), despite being closer to Byram than Cale age-wise...but that is a lot less clear than it seemed back in the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
The cap situation needs to be taken into consideration when projecting new benchmark contracts as well. This whole coronavirus lockdown could certainly hamper the beefy bump in salary cap projections from earlier in the year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The cap situation needs to be taken into consideration when projecting new benchmark contracts as well. This whole coronavirus lockdown could certainly hamper the beefy bump in salary cap projections from earlier in the year.

For this summer's cap, absolutely. But that's (probably) a short term factor in this discussion & shouldn't have much impact on the kids who'll be signing long term deals next summer (2021). Using the last lockout's timeline, Covid-19 specific treatments should be ready with enough time for the NHL to pick up action around the same point they did that time...and that's if the league isn't too cheap to wait until vaccines are available before resuming action.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Hope

I'm a bit biased, but I feel like it's a no brainer that Cale should win if the season is over.

The only thing Hughes has an edge on Makar is 3 total points in 11 more games, and it's only because he has more power play assists, playing for the 4th ranked PP, while Makar is on the 19th ranked PP.

Which is hard not to factor in all the injuries to key Av players for at least some of the difference in PP assists. Boesser is the only top guy to miss more than 1 game for the Nucks and he's only missed 11.

Makar - 50 points
Hughes - 53 points

Makar - 12 goals
Hughes - 8 goals

Makar - 4 game winning goals
Hughes - 2 game winning goals

Makar - 4 power play goals
Hughes - 3 power play goals

Makar - 15 power play assists
Hughes - 22 power play assists

Makar - 31 even strength points
Hughes - 28 even strength points

Makar - 8 even strength goals
Hughes - 5 even strength goals

Makar - 23 even strength assists
Hughes - 23 even strength assists

Makar - 1.81 EV pts/60
Hughes - 1.26 EV pts/60

Makar - 0.88 pts/gm
Hughes - 0.78 pts/gm

Makar - +12
Hughes - -10

Makar - Avs 2nd leading scorer with 26 more points than the next D man.
Hughes - Vancouver's 4th leading scorer with 20 more points than the next D man

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I'm a bit biased, but I feel like it's a no brainer that Cale should win if the season is over.

The only thing Hughes has an edge on Makar is 3 total points in 11 more games, and it's only because he has more power play assists, playing for the 4th ranked PP, while Makar is on the 19th ranked PP.

Which is hard not to factor in all the injuries to key Av players for at least some of the difference in PP assists. Boesser is the only top guy to miss more than 1 game for the Ducks and he's only missed 11.

Makar - 50 points
Hughes - 53 points

Makar - 12 goals
Hughes - 8 goals

Makar - 1.81 pts/60
Hughes - 1.26 pts/60

Makar - 0.88 pts/gm
Hughes - 0.78 pts/gm

Makar - +12
Hughes - -10

These stats all pretty much only show Makar's better offensively than Hughes is. Personally, I don't know who deserves the Calder more. Both rookies have been absolutely amazing.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
These stats all pretty much only show Makar's better offensively than Hughes is. Personally, I don't know who deserves the Calder more. Both rookies have been absolutely amazing.

That's by far the biggest criteria they use. Same as the Hart.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't realize Cale's EV pts/60 was that much higher too.

Combination of Cale missing 11 more games, and Hughes averaging 51 more seconds per game at even strength.

Makar - 1.81 EV pts/60
Hughes - 1.26 EV pts/60

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
TBF Hughes is a huge part of why their PP is so good. Seems silly to downgrade him for making them better in that part of the game.

Of course he's a big part of it. Wasn't downgrading him at all.

But if he gets credit for the Nucks having a great PP, then you have to factor in all the injuries to Landy, Mikko, Kadri, and MacKinnon this year for the Avs PP, and Cale's lower PP assist total.

Cale still has more PP goals in less games.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Which is hard not to factor in all the injuries to key Av players for at least some of the difference in PP assists. Boesser is the only top guy to miss more than 1 game for the Nucks and he's only missed 11.

Makar - 50 points
Hughes - 53 points

Makar - 12 goals
Hughes - 8 goals

Makar - 1.81 EV pts/60
Hughes - 1.26 EV pts/60

Makar - 0.88 pts/gm
Hughes - 0.78 pts/gm

Makar - +12
Hughes - -10

This is what I’ve felt for a while separates Makar from other defenceman.

Even strength offence. The stats show it and it’s backed up by what you see, watching the games. The amount of chances he creates for himself and his teammates at even strength, is rare.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Makar - 50 points
Hughes - 53 points

Makar - 12 goals
Hughes - 8 goals

Makar - 1.81 EV pts/60
Hughes - 1.26 EV pts/60

Makar - 0.88 pts/gm
Hughes - 0.78 pts/gm

Makar - +12
Hughes - -10

So what you are saying is one is awesomer than the other awesome one?

I agree

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
So what you are saying is one is awesomer than the other awesome one?

I agree

Yep they're both incredible defenseman.

Hughes is like a more offensive Girard with his smooth cerebral style, and Makar is like MacKinnon on defense with his game breaking dynamic ability, and the way he creates so many chances with his speed and puck skills.

Both defenseman are incredibly smart to be honest. Makar's IQ gets shadowed by his speed and fancy moves, but he reads the plays before anyone else on the ice does, and has the confidence to create chances out of nothing.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He'll probably win the Calder. But we all can't forget that advantage he has over Hughes, that extra height. Hughes has no chance in the long run.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Quinn is going to be a fantastic player. I think I'd take Makar over Hughes just over the course of their entire playing careers, but that shouldn't take away from the depth of Quinn's talent.

I think the Ghost comparison is way off. Ghost was always awful defensively, in the Tyson Barrie school of offensive defensemen. Hughes though is sneaky good at the technical aspects of defending, like a rich man's Girard. He'll be able to play at a top pair level for a long time.

Reactions: Barklez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad