Cale Makar: 2nd Season Prophecies

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yah that sheltering Makar line kinda raised my eyebrow. I haven't noticed him being protected from other teams top lines quite the opposite.

Because he hasn't. That's just advanced stat nonsense. Writers trying to pretend they're smart by overthinking what's going on. Relying on stats with 15 game sample sizes, because they're not actually watching the games.

With the way Bednar/Pratt run the defense, Cale has played with everyone, against everyone, in basically every situation, and is often matched up with the Avs top line, which is usually matched up against the oppositions top line.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He couldn’t catch Murphy, but still quite a start to a career.

Also, I saw this on Twitter. It’s hilarious how much attention Makar draws from the defence.

That's how Mackinnon and Makar need to play when teams are double-teaming their entries. When they're doubled up on someone else will have more space.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
As much as it sucks to have Makar out, him being sidelined might be the only thing that saves the Avs a bit on his next contract.

Just purely because of small sample size I think it will drop his contract by $1M to $1.5M.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Makar camp push for a bridge deal, but if I’m Sakic I’d look to see if I could get the Chabot contract.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont even know if I want to sign him long term yet tbh...

The injuries are a legitimate concern. I dont think I want him on an 8 year 72M+ contract until he strings together some healthy seasons.

At this point I'd prefer the bridge route. A bridge could potentially extend the contender window an extra year or two as well. Get him for 3 years 6M a year and save 2M off his cap hit the next 3 years, that 2M could be the space we need to fill the depth roster out well enough to continue contending beyond this year.

And then if he can stay healthy over those 3 years or at least relatively healthy, give him his 10+M aav after that when our contention window will have been closed anyway.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I dont even know if I want to sign him long term yet tbh...

The injuries are a legitimate concern. I dont think I want him on an 8 year 72M+ contract until he strings together some healthy seasons.

At this point I'd prefer the bridge route. A bridge could potentially extend the contender window an extra year or two as well. Get him for 3 years 6M a year and save 2M off his cap hit the next 3 years, that 2M could be the space we need to fill the depth roster out well enough to continue contending beyond this year.

And then if he can stay healthy over those 3 years or at least relatively healthy, give him his 10+M aav after that when our contention window will have been closed anyway.

giphy.gif

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Cale Makar has 21 points in 25 playoff games and 64 points in 72 regular season games. He averaged 23:41 TOI in last years playoffs and was averaging 24:28 before he got hurt this season. Super small sample size but he was looking like a Norris candidate in that 15 games and he wasn't doing anything that's unsustainable, if anything he was kinda rusty offensively. He finished 9th overall in Norris voting as a rookie lol

Health or not there's 0% chance you sign him for 6 mill. Zero chance. We don't even know what his health concerns are really. For all we know it's a left over shoulder thing from last year and the Avs don't want to risk there 22 year old superstar defensemen in a condensed season. Or maybe he's concussed and it's serious.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
So is he concussed or is it still a mystery why he is not playing for the past .....10 games? 12 games?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
So is he concussed or is it still a mystery why he is not playing for the past .....10 games? 12 games?
Oh we don’t get the injuries here. All we get is UBI/LBI and day to day regardless of severity. So you know as much as us :laugh:
Lmao so right :laugh: Even our supposed backup goalie this year who has been injured since last playoffs we have no idea what's happening he could very well retire tomorrow and we would know the same day as you haha.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
as NHL is working closer and closer with Vegas, gambling sites... my hope is, they wont allow these vague injury updates anymore. speaking of retire... I do worry about Timmins.

Reactions: Pokecheque

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State
Any budding Youtube gurus willing to cobble together a Cale Makar hits highlights? I don't have the requisite skills.

BTW - Mad Cale was fun to watch but that defense on the Vegas goal was brutal. Out of character for him but calling a spade a spade.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hopefully he is not money hungry as the extension is going to mean a lot for the Avs cap situation going forward. Makar could easily ask for 10M+

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hopefully he is not money hungry as the extension is going to mean a lot for the Avs cap situation going forward. Makar could easily ask for 10M+

Wanting your market value doesn’t strike me as being “money hungry.” You only have so many swipes at a big payday. Tyson Barrie is a prime example of a guy who waited to cash in and missed out.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad