Cale Makar: 2nd Season Prophecies

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think it’s a bit of both. Grub has been very very good this year, but I think outside of EJ some of the injured guys may not be as effective as the coaching staff thinks.
Good point. Personally I like seeing Nichuskin and Jost on the PK instead of Calvert and Compher, as they're by far out best two defensive forwads. Bellemare is useful too given his faceoff ability.

Ideally we could add a 3C who's good on the PK and draws, and roll them out with Nichuskin as the 1st PK unit, and then have Jost and Bellemare on the 2nd unit. That gives both units a strong faceoff man and a forward who's good defensively.

That also pushes Compher off the PK as he's largely ineffective imo. He basically just circles around in his zone but never actually engages anyone to win the puck back. With Nichuskin and Jost you're getting good defensive awareness and ability to make interceptions and make takeaways, and Jost also has that uncanny ability to draw penalties when fighting for loose pucks.

Oh and to bring this back on topic given which thread this is I'll mention that I'd like to not see Makar on the PK when everyone is healthy. Spare those ankles!

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Dimitri has turned into a closeted Avs fan in the last year

The best part of this is the Ducks colour guy saying, “wow”, in a very low disappointed voice.

upload_2021-2-5_11-14-42.gif

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
How about last game from Cale? I was hoping to see him take over in Mackinnon’s absence and he did that and then some. How lucky are we to have him on our team? I can’t wait to see how he ends up as a player.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I said last year Girard could be our best PKer if they would just use him.

It's so old school to think your PKers have to be big shot blocker types. They really don't. Guys who have very active sticks and read plays well are the ones that tend to excel on the PK and Girard is excellent at both. Getting sticks into lanes forces the PP into poor shots or bad passes and then reading those plays ahead of time allows you to break them up.

Not surprised at all to see the PK doing better with G and Cale getting some usage in that role.
It’s true, if you look at things like CA/60 Girard is the best among regular penalty killers and Makar isn’t far behind. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they are making a difference on it. Calvert has never had strong numbers on the PK either. I know nobody wants to watch in horror as either of those guys block shots but the goal is to pressure the puck with their speed and skill to never have to resort to a shot block. Bednar has said multiple times that with the make up of the D core now he’s going to have to rely on them and Byram to take on that responsibility.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar has said multiple times that with the make up of the D core now he’s going to have to rely on them and Byram to take on that responsibility.
He also said that he'd like to keep Girard's and Makar's minutes down and other dmen have to step up. Having to play those 2 on the PK doesn't help.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
I was just looking at the mid season ranking for 2017; Heiskanen, Petterson, and Makar were all in the 10-15 range, this coming draft will be wild

Reactions: Nihiliste

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The best part of this is the Ducks colour guy saying, “wow”, in a very low disappointed voice.

View attachment 392954

Hayward is such a tool. One of the more irritating color analysts in the league for me.

Always has an air of arrogance about him like he won 4 Stanley Cups or something, but he was a shitty backup goalie who never won anything.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
You just said the no no words

I'd like to delete the comment but its quoted. Obviously, I want Makar (who will win a Norris for sure) to stay. But he was a diehard Flames fan from Calgary who was named for the city. Not the first here who has said this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad