Cale Makar: 2nd Season Prophecies

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I have read through all of the main boards Cale Makar prospect threads. Makar is unbelievable and so entertaining to follow.

Makar has proven at each step in his development, he answers any doubts and then exceeds expectations.

I believe he will continue his development path and make ANOTHER jump next year. I am thinking he will be even more offensive and aggressive. Just like year 1 in NCAA, Cale focused on defense and still produced highlights in year 1 of NHL. I hope year 2 of NHL resembles year 2 of NCAA.

What are your expectations for Makar's 2nd season?

Edit: I also just wanted a place to talk Cale Makar that wasn't a Prospect or Injury Thread.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It is crazy to think he can get even more productive but I agree with you that there’s some clear areas where Makar can take another step.

He was trying to play it safe a lot, especially when Graves pinched. The PP could definitely improve leading to more points there. Also Makar could get up his shot volume which he was a high volume shooter in college so there’s room for more impact there too. He even said working on staying healthy and stamina should help him going into next year too.

I really don’t want to put a number on it but he could eclipse ppg especially if the coaching staff thinks of more creative ways to use him, he’s a defenseman first but he’s like an elite forward in the o zone, that requires some out of the box thinking and especially with the PP. using him as just a traditional point man there is such a waste.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
- PPG is a stretch but I think he can do it. Especially with an improved PP and just generally being more assertive/dominant.
- Very general, but not at all shabby last season, but better defensively (Not sure how to quantify this?).
- Top five in Norris balloting.
- Stay healthy all season and playoffs.

Reactions: MaKarter

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If healthy these are my expectations. It’s a lot, but based on his first season still relatively conservative.

65-70 points
North of 23 minutes a night
A regular PK’er by season’s end
Top 7 in Norris voting

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
People should expect a SLOW progression from now on. I think it's going to take 2-3 years before he becomes noticeably better than he was last year.

Let's not forget that next season is going to be his sophomore year and many players struggle with that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Norris finalist.

People should expect a SLOW progression from now on. I think it's going to take 2-3 years before he becomes noticeably better than he was last year.

Let's not forget that next season is going to be his sophomore year and many players struggle with that.

Technically that's correct but it's not your normal sophomore season. He's 22 years old with two playoff runs under his belt. That's one thing I'm not worried about at all.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
In terms of production, I think he’ll get around 70 points. Just being a defenceman there will be a few stretches of back-to-back games where he goes without points, but he’s too talented to not put up numbers.

As for his utilization and minutes, I think that will be dependent upon how the Avs deploy their defence pairings. After adding Toews Colorado has one of the deepest 1 through 6 group of defenceman in the NHL. If the Avs put Graves with Makar the ‘bottom pair’ is going to get a lot of minutes and that in turn will probably lead to Makar having similar minutes to this season.

Graves - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Toews - Cole

If that’s your defence the 3rd pair is going to see a good amount of minutes.

If it looks something like this:

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Graves - Cole

Then I think we’ll see the top-4 get more minutes. It really depends on how Bednar wants to balance his defence pairs.

Either way I think Makar will continue to prove he’s a top-10 defenceman in the league. He’s the most dynamic defenceman in franchise history.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Best defenseman in the league and I truly believe that.

Only competition will be Miro
624b27d482828fbcd90fc4d23b2e9dfc19dcf345.gif

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar was a beast in the playoffs and I expect that is more or less what we will see from him going forward.

Let see how the Avs distribute the ice time next season because Makar is clearly capable of playing 25+ min every single night.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar was a beast in the playoffs and I expect that is more or less what we will see from him going forward.

Let see how the Avs distribute the ice time next season because Makar is clearly capable of playing 25+ min every single night.

In the end he got overplayed and ran out of gas in the playoffs.

People should start tempering their expectations.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
In the end he got overplayed and ran out of gas in the playoffs.

People should start tempering their expectations.

How did he run out of gas? He was going strong late in that Dallas series.

I doubt Makar will be playing 25+ with this current D core anyway. They are too deep.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think he’ll have a bit of a sophomore slump. That just seems to happen when a guy gets a ton of hype. It won’t be anything that affects him long-term, but I’m sure opposing fans will think so and excitedly tell us how overrated he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad