Cale Makar: 2nd Season Prophecies

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Wanting your market value doesn’t strike me as being “money hungry.” You only have so many swipes at a big payday. Tyson Barrie is a prime example of a guy who waited to cash in and missed out.
I wouldn't hold it against the guy as Makar deserves to get paid. However, some players want to squeeze every single penny out of the organization like the Toronto duo and some take less because they rather see that extra cash being used to build a winner.

Until we see Makar's extension we have no idea how this will play out. Hopefully he doesn’t want the absolutely max he can get or our cap is screwed.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If I’m the Avs, I’d look at 8 years X $10M.

If they want to bridge, then 3 years X $8/8.5M

I’d rather have the cost certainty of a long term contract though. Especially when you have guys like MacKinnon, Byram, and Newhook coming up in the next few years.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
If I’m the Avs, I’d look at 8 years X $10M.

If they want to bridge, then 3 years X $8/8.5M

I’d rather have the cost certainty of a long term contract though. Especially when you have guys like MacKinnon, Byram, and Newhook coming up in the next few years.
That bridge deal is brutal. McAvoy signed 3 years/$14.7M. I realize Makar is better, but McAvoy is pretty damn good.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
That bridge deal is brutal. McAvoy signed 3 years/$14.7M. I realize Makar is better, but McAvoy is pretty damn good.

They haven’t really had comparable starts to their careers.

Makar has established himself as a top -5 defenceman in the NHL before his second contract. The same couldn’t be said for McAvoy. He’s a top-10 guy now imo, but not at the time of the extension. There’s no chance he signs for less than 6, regardless of term.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Wanting your market value doesn’t strike me as being “money hungry.” You only have so many swipes at a big payday. Tyson Barrie is a prime example of a guy who waited to cash in and missed out.
As a fan, I want players to take a slight discount for various reasons. You can help the team overall by taking less and hoping your GM will spend to the cap, and I think that is valid in some situations. But the reality is that these guys put their life into this game and should max out any money they can grab.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bridge contracts:

Laine: 2 X 6.75
M. Tkachuk: 3 X 7
Point: 3 X 6.83

Makar should be around 3 X 7.5. Maybe slightly less because of the flat cap.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
For Reference: Here’s a few young talented defenceman that have signed extensions in recent years and their production prior to the deal. Keep in mind contracts tend to go up over time too.

McAvoy: 3 years/$14.7M - $4.9M AAV
Production: 60 points in 117 games

Chabot: 8 years/$64M - $8M AAV
Production: 80 points in 130 games

Werenski: 3 years/$15M - $5M AAV
Production: 128 points in 237 games

Makar Production: 85 points in 90 games

Are those players fair comparables for what a Makar contract should look like?

Reactions: John Snow

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Short answer: No.

Exactly. For a defenceman there isn’t a great comparable recently which is why it’s probably better to look at players with a similar status in the league when they extended.

Guys like Matthews, Marner, or Rantanen.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Exactly. For a defenceman there isn’t a great comparable recently which is why it’s probably better to look at players with a similar status in the league when they extended.

Guys like Matthews, Marner, or Rantanen.
These guys didn't sign a bridge though.

Like I just posted, they'll have to look at Tkachuk, Laine and Point. They aren't dmen but they were young stars at the time of the signing.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
If you can get Makar at 8 years for 7.5 you do it.

The flat cap reality and his injuries make it fair comapred to Chabot.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
These guys didn't sign a bridge though.

Like I just posted, they'll have to look at Tkachuk, Laine and Point. They aren't dmen but they were young stars at the time of the signing.

I get that. I was just saying that comparing his upcoming contract to defenceman who have signed in the last 5-6 years doesn’t make a lot of sense because the production isn’t comparable.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
8 x 11 = 88 :laugh::naughty:

Probably more realistic than 8 X 8 considering that Chabot got that contract 2 years earlier with lesser stats.

If Makar doesn't sign a bridge it's going to hurt our window too much and I honestly don't see it happening.

Also with the current uncertainty with the cap going forward neither side will want to commit long term.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Need to get Cale some lucrative sponsorship deals so he is willing to take less. Kid absolutely deserves top dollar. Max contract is not unreasonable considering the only other dman I might want going into this year’s playoffs is Hedman. Moving forward Cale will surpass even Hedman in a couple of years I believe.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I know the Avs will probably make it work all the way to $10M AAV but not sure even the best agent could get more than that. There are only 2 defenseman making above that Drew Doughty and Erik Karlsson both perennial Norris candidates when they signed their deals.

Now I get it, there are no true comparables so Makar can really write his own book but Chabot is about the best comparable for a long term deal that there is and I think it still plays because it was pre flat cap. If you want the most recent comparable top end defensive contract it is Pietrangelo at $8.8M AAV long term. I think there are plenty of big names that Sakic can throw out in that $8M range as great defenseman to make it sound like a reasonable number like Carlson, Hedman, Weber and Chabot.

Makar does not seem like the type to tell his agent maximum dollar is more important than staying in a place he likes with a winning culture, if the number is respectable I can see him taking it.

I get there are also injury concerns for some people on a long term deal well I think the Avs should take the risk and hopefully get to 8x$8-9M, I don't see it going higher than that in the current climate.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Makar does not seem like the type to tell his agent maximum dollar is more important than staying in a place he likes with a winning culture, if the number is respectable I can see him taking it.
Makar doesn't seem like the type to tell his agent how to do his job. This is between Sakic, Kronke, and Makar's agent.

I'm sure they will all be happy to make something work long-term, which I believe would make Makar happy. If Sakic needs to talk to Makar about talking to his agent about a discount, things are not good.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
Makar doesn't seem like the type to tell his agent how to do his job. This is between Sakic, Kronke, and Makar's agent.

I'm sure they will all be happy to make something work long-term, which I believe would make Makar happy. If Sakic needs to talk to Makar about talking to his agent about a discount, things are not good.
I am pretty sure every player is at least somewhat involved in the process with their agent. I never said Sakic was going to reach out to Makar directly. But if say Sakic provides a proposal, the agent would then probably update Makar on where the numbers are at as they decide to accept it or provide a counteroffer. If Makar has told his agent what is important to him, I am sure some of that initial and continuous dialogue will dictate how dug in the negotiations might get.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
The fact that Heiskanen, Dahlin, and Quinn Hughes are having down years this year probably helps the Avs in negotiations. Any of those 3 having a big year and earning a big contract (from teams with relatively less cap squeeze than Colorado and could afford to overpay somewhat to get term, except perhaps for Vancouver) could have set a high comparable for Makar. As things stand Makar will be something of a stand-alone without any great comparables.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
The fact that Heiskanen, Dahlin, and Quinn Hughes are having down years this year probably helps the Avs in negotiations. Any of those 3 having a big year and earning a big contract (from teams with relatively less cap squeeze than Colorado and could afford to overpay somewhat to get term, except perhaps for Vancouver) could have set a high comparable for Makar. As things stand Makar will be something of a stand-alone without any great comparables.
No perfect comparable as Makar is in a class of his own :sarcasm:

They are comparable in that he should receive a bigger contract than all of them. And their teams can use Cale's contract to say they deserve less than him. Pretty sure a bridge is coming. Av's can't afford 10 million per right now. 7x3 is more likely than 10x8 IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad