Prospect Info: Cale Fleury

Status
Not open for further replies.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Biggest steal in this draft. Will be an NHLer for sure the only question is how impactful. Think he'll become a solid #3 guy who has no weaknesses just not elite enough to be a true top pairing guy. He reminds me a lot of Avs pick Meloche as he's a good skater, passer, loves to rush the puck, very physical and an underrated shot. To me he was a late 1st-early 2nd talent. Fleury, Juulsen and Brook will be a great right side for you guys

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Cale Fleury is the hockey name so far, the others sound like they are made up.

Cale Fleury FTW :yo:

DDGo03dXsAIx1oP.png

Reactions: Edgy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Here's the scouting report from Black Book

Cale Fleury is an offensive minded defenseman who captained the Kootenay Ice, in his third season with the Club. He is late 1998’ birthday who played in all situations on a WHL club that recorded the worst record in the league. He finished the 2016-17 season with 38 points in 70 games and recorded a -61 plus minus rating. This rating was the worst in the WHL with the bottom 9 ratings in the league belonged to Kootenay Ice players. Fleury was the on-ice leader for the Ice and was remarkably consistent with his work ethic despite a very tough year for the team. He played in all situations and took control of the powerplay both on the breakout and from the offensive point. Cale heavily involves himself in the rush and jumps into the play often, wanting to make a difference offensively. His play is also aggressive physically, as he likes to step up to make a big hit in open ice.

Fleury’s offensive game at even strength stems from his good ability to join the rush. With his team not receiving much zone time, he had to often skate the puck himself or join odd man rushes to be involved on offense at even strength. He has quick feet and is explosive from a stand-still, able to separate from fore-checkers effectively. His stride isn’t remarkably long or smooth, but he can generate enough speed to beat the opposition in the neutral zone. Cale has had some impressive rushes this season where he showed off soft hands and skill with the puck at top speed. He also showed the ability to score in stride, picking his corner with a quick release. Although his production isn’t fantastic, he did not receive many cheap assists or goals because of sustained pressure in the offensive end. He earned many of his points because they were off the rush where he had to carry the puck or create the chance himself.

On the powerplay, Cale was unselfish and moved the puck decisively. In recent viewings, he showed a bad habit of staying flat-footed at the offensive point as opposed to moving his feet which may allow more shooting lanes to open up. Despite this habit, he was still effective at facilitating chances for his teammates, making smart decisions at the offensive point. His shot from the point is deceptively hard, and he is not afraid to one-time pucks. Fleury spent the bulk of his minutes in his own end, chasing the puck. He worked hard in the defensive zone as he tried to finish his checks and be first to pucks consistently. This energy could have been better directed as he could have benefited from playing a more disciplined game given the amount of long shifts he accumulated. In on-on-one situations, Fleury had good gap control and was effective at stopping and angling top players. He made several terrific defensively plays this season either on the back-check or in odd-man rush scenarios mostly due to his work ethic. His defensive game is not as poor as his plus minus rating indicates.

A consistent asset for Fleury is his decision-making with the puck. He has his head up when making plays and limits his turnovers when he had time to make decisions. While he is strong at rushing pucks, he has also shown the ability to play a calm and composed game. Given an opportunity on a stronger team, his production and defensive efficiency would increase as most of his minutes were logged in his own end. He has decent size, reach, mobility and has shown the vision and composure to be a puck-mover at the next level.

KTN #4 RD Fleury, Cale (2017)- Fleury led Kootenay in ice time and was counted on to quarterback the
power-play. He had a lot of confidence and could tell it was his third year playing in the league. Was very
aggressive offensively, and jumped into the rush often. He has decent size, and is good skater. His stride is
short and his ability to pivot, turn and cross over is average to above average. He loves to step up and be
physical, did it a little too much tonight and was out of position at times. He had possession of the puck
often and makes very good decisions with it. Rarely does he turn the puck over and when he makes a pass,
it finds the open man and is on the tape. Also showed off some nice hands on the rush, beating
defenseman one-on-one on a couple of occasions.

KTN #4 RD Fleury, Cale (2017)- Fleury took control on the powerplay and demanded the puck. He also
showed an impressive ability to skate the puck when initially flat-footed. He can jump into lanes effectively.
He had a deceptive shot mid-way through the first that surprised the goaltender. It was a slapshot that the
goaltender just got a shoulder on. He took the shot from a flat-footed position from the blue-line. He can
tend to get flat-footed when on the powerplay as opposed to keeping his feet moving. This limits his
opportunity to create high quality chances for his teammates. Fleury showed great work ethic defensively,
especially on a play late in the second period. Matthew Phillips was on a partial break after a turnover and
Fleury back-checked hard and dove to poke check the puck away. He received a tripping penalty on the
play but it was a great effort defensively and a questionable call. After the call, Fleury played very physical
and delivered two big hits in the neutral zone. He handled Jack Walker, an explosive player, very well on an
isolated one-on-one in the third period. He tracked him laterally and initiated contact allowing the back
checker to come retrieve the puck

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I could not be more excited by this pick. The archetypal case of an excellent player who is stuck in a terrible situation. Put Fleury on Kelowna or Regina, and he might have been a 1st rounder, he's easily a 60+ point player this year on a normal team. His numbers are ludicrous if you consider how bad his team was. 2nd worst team in the country this year and the worst the year prior.

Luckily Cranbrook is a beautiful place, because I'd be pulling chute if you asked me to endure that kind of pain in Prince Albert or Moose Jaw...(no particular offense meant to any residents of those lovely towns)

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
-61. Must be good.

And a RD, our biggest position of need!

Come on.

I mean it's… It's not about that… At all. You know what I'm saying I mean… But it's…it's easy to, to talk about… It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about plus/minus. We're sitting in here, and Fleury's supposed to be the new defenceman, and we in here talking about plus/minus. I mean, listen, we're talking about plus/minus, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about plus/minus. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that he goes out there and die for and play every game like it's his last. Not the game, but we're talking about plus/minus, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about plus/minus. I know its a stat thats there. I know NHL.com uses it as an example… I know that… And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do… But we're talking about plus/minus, plus/minus man. What are we talking about? plus/minus? We're talking about plus/minus, man. We're talking about plus/minus. We're talking about plus/minus. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about plus/minus, man. When you come to the arena, and you see Fleury play, you see him play don't you? You've seen him give everything he got, right? But we're talking about plus/minus right now. We talking about plus/minus….

Man look, I hear you… it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange… it’s strange to me too, but we're talking about plus/minus man, we're not even talking about the game… the actual game, when it matters… We're talking about plus/minus…

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I hate this argument. Then why did we draft poehling? He is a center, we drafted him for needs.

I doubt Poehling was BPA

Just about every ranking had him ahead of 25. Including Bob McKenzie's ranking, which is an average ranking of NHL scouts, which had him at 19. Everyone's favorite Craig Button had him 12th
It's easily arguable he was both BPA and fit a need.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I mean it's… It's not about that… At all. You know what I'm saying I mean… But it's…it's easy to, to talk about… It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about plus/minus. We're sitting in here, and Fleury's supposed to be the new defenceman, and we in here talking about plus/minus. I mean, listen, we're talking about plus/minus, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about plus/minus. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that he goes out there and die for and play every game like it's his last. Not the game, but we're talking about plus/minus, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about plus/minus. I know its a stat thats there. I know NHL.com uses it as an example… I know that… And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do… But we're talking about plus/minus, plus/minus man. What are we talking about? plus/minus? We're talking about plus/minus, man. We're talking about plus/minus. We're talking about plus/minus. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about plus/minus, man. When you come to the arena, and you see Fleury play, you see him play don't you? You've seen him give everything he got, right? But we're talking about plus/minus right now. We talking about plus/minus….

Man look, I hear you… it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange… it’s strange to me too, but we're talking about plus/minus man, we're not even talking about the game… the actual game, when it matters… We're talking about plus/minus…

What you have done there has been seen. By me.

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
I mean it's� It's not about that� At all. You know what I'm saying I mean� But it's�it's easy to, to talk about� It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about plus/minus. We're sitting in here, and Fleury's supposed to be the new defenceman, and we in here talking about plus/minus. I mean, listen, we're talking about plus/minus, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about plus/minus. Not a game. Not, not � Not the game that he goes out there and die for and play every game like it's his last. Not the game, but we're talking about plus/minus, man. I mean, how silly is that? � And we talking about plus/minus. I know its a stat thats there. I know NHL.com uses it as an example� I know that� And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do� But we're talking about plus/minus, plus/minus man. What are we talking about? plus/minus? We're talking about plus/minus, man. We're talking about plus/minus. We're talking about plus/minus. We ain't talking about the game. We're talking about plus/minus, man. When you come to the arena, and you see Fleury play, you see him play don't you? You've seen him give everything he got, right? But we're talking about plus/minus right now. We talking about plus/minus�.

Man look, I hear you� it's funny to me too, I mean it's strange� it�s strange to me too, but we're talking about plus/minus man, we're not even talking about the game� the actual game, when it matters� We're talking about plus/minus�

You win the internet :thumbu:

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I like Fleury as a prospect but there were so many prospects that i liked even more who were still available :(.. namely Barratt and Phillips.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Just about every ranking had him ahead of 25. Including Bob McKenzie's ranking, which is an average ranking of NHL scouts, which had him at 19. Everyone's favorite Craig Button had him 12th
It's easily arguable he was both BPA and fit a need.

Interesting, why did he fall so far?

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Interesting, why did he fall so far?

I don't know? Why did Vilardi fall? Other teams had different needs? Liked different players? Reached? Like every year? I doubt leaf fans are crying over why Liljegrin fell. None of it is a reason to argue Phoeling wasn't BPA .

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Fleury is basically this year's version of Bitten. Get him out of the Kootenay tire fire. Kelowna, Everett, or Moose Jaw (play with Brook :naughty:) would be awesome

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He went -51 being the #1D on the worst Kooteny team in history.

He only had 38 points in 70 games but he was still fourth on his entire team in scoring, not just defense. His team was truly horrible. The #2 and #3 scoring leaders on the team were traded halfway through the season and still finished with the most points on the team.

The highest scoring forward on the team had 57 points in 68 games..

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
He went -51 being the #1D on the worst Kooteny team in history.

He only had 38 points in 70 games but he was still fourth on his entire team in scoring, not just defense. His team was truly horrible. The #2 and #3 scoring leaders on the team were traded halfway through the season and still finished with the most points on the team.

The highest scoring forward on the team had 57 points in 68 games..

He'll feel right at home with the Habs.

Reactions: cphabs

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
They should be better.

They won't be a good team, but they shouldn't be the 14 win disaster that they were.

Maybe playoff bubble, but by no means are they contending for anything.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
They should be better.

They won't be a good team, but they shouldn't be the 14 win disaster that they were.

Maybe playoff bubble, but by no means are they contending for anything.

That should be fine then. As I've stated several times here I don't really care about CHL playoffs. I think it's too many games for a developing player anyways.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Kootenay will be better but still not great. He'll be traded to a Regina/Kelowna as he's a late birthday so only has 1 more year of junior left.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal

dhMeAzK.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad