Calder Finalists 2019

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Dahlin
Pettersson
Hughes

HM: Svechnikov, Mittlestadt

I think Vancouver will feel the pressure to insert Hughes into the lineup but he'll actually step up and have a big year.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I would pick Mittelstadt. He's going to get more even strength and 1st team power play minutes now that Ryan O'Reilly is gone. Being on the power play with Eichel should get him a bunch of points.

Reactions: Colin Hui

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
My bet is no rookie scores more than 50 and that Dahlin will win it being 3rd in rookie scoring amongst defensemen(they will say he’s more valuable).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
1. Andrie Svechnikov

He’s got the physical tools, the talent, and he’s going to be on a team that needs a huge offensive kick.

Prediction: 35G, 30A, 65P

2. Radmus Dahlin

See him coming in and performing well, but think it’ll take him a little bit of time to be accustom to the NHL speed.

Prediction: 10G, 30A, 40P

3. Gabriel Vilardi

He’s in a good situation as LA needs a big offensive punch and he’ll likely get PP time right off the bat.

Prediction: 15G, 35A, 50P

4. Miro Heiskanen

He should play like a rock defensively, but don’t see him getting on the top PP unit which will hurt his offensive numbers.

Prediction: 5G, 30A, 35P

5. Elie Tolvanen

Think he’s going to be an awesome player, but might take him a bit longer to get there. Nashville has a deep team and he might get pushed down in the shuffle.

Prediction: 20G, 20A, 40P

Peterson, Mittlestadt, and Zadina should be in the mix too with around 40 points. Think they are all more talented then that, but playing on bad teams might keep the numbers down.

how the hell is Mittlestadts numbers kept down but not Dhalins? they are on the same team. lol

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Any chance someone like Andreas Johnsson could be in the discussion?

With the stable of rookies this year you have to think a forward winner would have to get at least 60 points, if not 80+ like last year.

How many 60-80+ point guys can Toronto possibly have? Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Johnsson , then 50+ for Rielly and Gardiner.

They were third in the league in goals last year without a single 70 point scorer and it seems like people are expecting them to have 4 or 5 this season.

Johnsson will be good but the Calder will go to someone playing an extra 5 minutes a game.

Also don't see vilardi making the NHL after half a season of junior.

In no particular order I'm guessing:
Sprong
Svechnikov
Mittlestadt
Zadina
Chytil

I see them getting the most opportunity.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
With the stable of rookies this year you have to think a forward winner would have to get at least 60 points, if not 80+ like last year.

How many 60-80+ point guys can Toronto possibly have? Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Kadri, Johnsson , then 50+ for Rielly and Gardiner.

They were third in the league in goals last year without a single 70 point scorer and it seems like people are expecting them to have 4 or 5 this season.

Johnsson will be good but the Calder will go to someone playing an extra 5 minutes a game.

Also don't see vilardi making the NHL after half a season of junior.

In no particular order I'm guessing:
Sprong
Svechnikov
Mittlestadt
Zadina
Chytil

I see them getting the most opportunity.
Kings have already said they expect Vilardi to be in their opening night lineup. So unless he blows donkey balls during camp he will be there.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Kings have already said they expect Vilardi to be in their opening night lineup. So unless he blows donkey balls during camp he will be there.

If that's the case he's either buried behind Brown and Toffoli on RW or Kopitar and Carter at C. Top 6 minutes and top unit PP is pretty much mandatory. He'll need a few injuries to get there.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Would love to go with Heiskanen winning the thing but I feel he is in too big of a disadvantage playing in Dallas compared to guys playing in rebuilding teams

1. Pettersson
2. Necas
3. Dahlin

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I get a feeling that the finalists will be
Tolvanen, Svechnikov, Donato, Dahlin

Dahlin won't win as at least one of the 3 forwards puts up a 60+ point type rookie season.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
The hype on Dahlin is ridiculous. If he puts up 20-30 points, and doesn't look overwhelmed on NA ice with NHL competition, then BUF fans should be excited. IMO there's no way in hell he puts up 40+ points or sniffs the Calder Trophy.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
If I could bet you $100, I would. Dahlin will be one of the best defensemen in the league at some point, and probably for more than a few years, but it's not going to begin this year. He hasn't played a single game on smaller ice against the best players in the world. There's going to be a lot of learning for him. The good thing for him and BUF fans is that he's smart enough to adapt. Game 1 isn't going to be the same as Game 82 for him, though. He's likely going to get better, game-by-game and year-by-year, for a little while until he is one of the best in the NHL.

It's called reality. Here's a check.

Reactions: haveandare

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia