Calder Finalists 2019

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
Svechnikov gives me two chances. Maybe?
I think that Evgeny will have a difficult time cracking Detroit's roster, unless Zadina is not ready, and they would waive Frk to go down to Grand Rapids with him.

The early injury a year ago set his development back a little bit. He may need another full season in the AHL.

Love the optimism, though!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
As the names pop up in this thread. I am reminded like last year, this rookie crop is going to be a stacked one again. What did they say? It's a young man's game now...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Any chance someone like Andreas Johnsson could be in the discussion?

If Matthews is scoring 60 and the Leafs are cup favorites im sure anything is possible....

As a betting man id bet on one of these players. Donato, Mittlestadt, Zadina, Svechnikov, Pettersen, Dahlin, Tolvanen, Heiskanen there could always be a darkhorse but id be suprised if anyone else

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
F - Svechnikov
D - Dahlin
G - Demko
Darkhorses - F - Merkley, D - Niku and G - Husso

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Tolvanen - such a season in KHL and last year just a step away from the NHL I'd say
Svechnikov - physically looks as ready as they come and the skill cannot be argued
Pettersson - should his game translate to smaller ice, but I think he just might struggle more than the other two

Heiskanen and Dahlin might surprise some, yet I'm more comfortable betting on forwards that comes down to Calder (where often the points are that matter the most).

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Donato, Sikura, Zykov, Johansson...some of the older and more seasoned rookies are going to put up big numbers...or at least be in good position to.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
This is going to be one hell of a year for the Calder. It seems like all the prominent prospects are making it to the bigs.
F: Pettersson, Tolvanen, Mittelstadt, Svechnikov, Donato, Vilardi, Thomas, Necas, Chytil, Andersson, Zadina, Borgstrom, Sikura, Gaudette, Glass, Yamomoto, Brown, Kotkaniemi, Strome , Frost, Kyrou, Steel, Merkley, Heoponiemi
D: Juolevi, Niku, Dahlin, Heiskanen, Timmins, Hughes, Makar, Bouchard, Andersson, Fox

All these prospects have the potential to win a spot in the NHL this coming season. I'm not sure if they're all still eligible (Strome?), but the group of guys is much larger than last year. I probably even forgot a bunch of guys. It's going to be a great year for rookies. I'm already looking forward to it!

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This is going to be one hell of a year for the Calder. It seems like all the prominent prospects are making it to the bigs.
F: Pettersson, Tolvanen, Mittelstadt, Svechnikov, Donato, Vilardi, Thomas, Necas, Chytil, Andersson, Zadina, Borgstrom, Sikura, Gaudette, Glass, Yamomoto, Brown, Kotkaniemi, Strome , Frost, Kyrou, Steel, Merkley, Heoponiemi
D: Juolevi, Niku, Dahlin, Heiskanen, Timmins, Hughes, Makar, Bouchard, Andersson, Fox

All these prospects have the potential to win a spot in the NHL this coming season. I'm not sure if they're all still eligible (Strome?), but the group of guys is much larger than last year. I probably even forgot a bunch of guys. It's going to be a great year for rookies. I'm already looking forward to it!

An under the radar pick in my opinion is Sprong who averaged a goal a game and two points a game in Junior two years ago and scored 32 goals which was one off the AHL lead in 65 games and was only 20 which is the youngest you can be in the AHL. Not saying he is the best of all the top couple prospects but he is playing in the NHL this season for the Pens because he can't be sent down to the AHL because the Pens played him 18 games when he was 18 so he would have to clear waivers. Sprong has a decent chance at being on Crosby or Malkin's wing and be on the second PP with Guentzel, Brassard, Schultz/Letang, and Johnson which should be a very strong second PP which gets almost as much PP time as the starters. Pens number 1 PP only plays first minute then comes off. So if Sprong plays up to his offensive abilities he will have every opportunity to be near the scoring lead for rookies both in goals and points. At worst Sprong ends up on the 3rd line with Brassard and Rust which will score well also and I 100% believe he makes the 2nd PP and still finishes with good numbers.

Of course he could be a bust and get traded for a 4th round pick but I doubt it after his production the past couple years not many have done better outside of the NHL. Plus with Sprong being all offense like a Kessel type he can't play in a defensive line spot so he either makes it with a scoring line or busts. That gives him the opportunity to play in a great spot next to a top tier center on an offensive team. I would not be surprised if he is near the top for rookies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Zadina

If he makes the team, he will likely be given top minutes on the top line.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
1. Andrie Svechnikov

He’s got the physical tools, the talent, and he’s going to be on a team that needs a huge offensive kick.

Prediction: 35G, 30A, 65P

2. Radmus Dahlin

See him coming in and performing well, but think it’ll take him a little bit of time to be accustom to the NHL speed.

Prediction: 10G, 30A, 40P

3. Gabriel Vilardi

He’s in a good situation as LA needs a big offensive punch and he’ll likely get PP time right off the bat.

Prediction: 15G, 35A, 50P

4. Miro Heiskanen

He should play like a rock defensively, but don’t see him getting on the top PP unit which will hurt his offensive numbers.

Prediction: 5G, 30A, 35P

5. Elie Tolvanen

Think he’s going to be an awesome player, but might take him a bit longer to get there. Nashville has a deep team and he might get pushed down in the shuffle.

Prediction: 20G, 20A, 40P

Peterson, Mittlestadt, and Zadina should be in the mix too with around 40 points. Think they are all more talented then that, but playing on bad teams might keep the numbers down.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad