Prospect Info: Cal Petersen (2013, 129th) – '16-17: Notre Dame #40 (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
C is cool. But I don't really give a damn about the character of my goalie (other than their work ethic to improve).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's a legit worry.

Not really, unless you find the mere existence of "because he could go UFA" to be a particularly compelling reason. Unlike Nashville and Vesey, it appears that Buffalo hasn't been rebuffed in an effort to sign him. Also - and this can be difficult to remember after two months of Vesey discussion - it's the exception, rather than the rule, that college players don't sign with the teams that drafted them. Further, when is the last time that a goaltender has refused to sign with the team that drafted him and then signed elsewhere? Unlike Vesey, he's not going to have his pick of basically any NHL team that he wants, even if he does have a couple more good seasons.

It would also make little sense for him to refuse to sign for practical reasons. He can burn an ELC year and I don't see too many other organizational goaltending situations that have as many question marks as ours, which is especially true if Lehner has durability issues again and/or Ullmark is awful in the AHL again. I'd bet an avatar that he's signing with us after ND's season this year. I'm not concerned at all.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I won't be shocked if he signs after this season ala Fasching a year ago.

Agreed. Another solid year with ND and then pro.

I wouldn't be surprised either. But it also wouldn't shock me if everyone agrees he should go back for his senior year. Especially if Kasdorf impresses in Rochester and they want him to take over starting full time (assuming Ulmark moves to Buffalo), they might prefer him developing through his senior year before moving him to the AHL.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wouldn't be surprised either. But it also wouldn't shock me if everyone agrees he should go back for his senior year. Especially if Kasdorf impresses in Rochester and they want him to take over starting full time (assuming Ulmark moves to Buffalo), they might prefer him developing through his senior year before moving him to the AHL.

I doubt it.

The likely gameplan is Ullmark replaces Nilsson and Cal and Kasdorf are in Rochester. I wouldn't be shocked if Cal is better than Kasdorf next year and they bump Kasdorf to Elmira to get starts.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
I remember when Fasching was apparently supposed to leave for the Wild lol

It's obnoxious to think that every college player will leave as a UFA, it's very, very rare

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I remember when Fasching was apparently supposed to leave for the Wild lol

It's obnoxious to think that every college player will leave as a UFA, it's very, very rare

It can happen so it's a legit worry. This is completely out of our control. Panic time? No. But nobody loves this loophole. It wouldn't surprise me if it's not part of the next CBA

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
It can happen so it's a legit worry. This is completely out of our control. Panic time? No. But nobody loves this loophole. It wouldn't surprise me if it's not part of the next CBA

This "loophole", which isn't a loophole but pretty explicitly how the rules are written, was around in the last CBA which had Blake Wheeler and Justin Schultz not sign with the teams that drafted them. The teams that get burned by it might not be happy, but I don't think they care as much as the fans do. I don't think the league cares enough to try to change it.

Besides changing the rules to close this so-called loophole would require either a thorough re-writing of the rules regarding draft rights, which could lead to actual unforeseen loopholes, or changing the rules in a way which could lead to other issues the league doesn't want to deal with. I just don't see it happening.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
This "loophole", which isn't a loophole but pretty explicitly how the rules are written, was around in the last CBA which had Blake Wheeler and Justin Schultz not sign with the teams that drafted them. The teams that get burned by it might not be happy, but I don't think they care as much as the fans do. I don't think the league cares enough to try to change it.

Besides changing the rules to close this so-called loophole would require either a thorough re-writing of the rules regarding draft rights, which could lead to actual unforeseen loopholes, or changing the rules in a way which could lead to other issues the league doesn't want to deal with. I just don't see it happening.

The single thing that would actually stop it from happening more than anything else (and which also has no chance of actually happening)? The NCAA letting their players sign futures contracts. If NCAA players could sign and go back to school like juniors players can the # would probably be reduced to close to zero.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The single thing that would actually stop it from happening more than anything else (and which also has no chance of actually happening)? The NCAA letting their players sign futures contracts. If NCAA players could sign and go back to school like juniors players can the # would probably be reduced to close to zero.

Yeah there is absolutely no chance in hell the NCAA would ever allow players to sign professional contracts and still play NCAA hockey. That would require such an extreme change of ideas, and ideas that the NCAA relies upon to operate, that it would need to be completely destroyed for such a thing to happen.

More likely, although something I would say still wouldn't happen even though it wouldn't necessarily completely undermine the NCAA ideologically like your suggestion, would be to allow major junior players to retain their amateur status.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

You can call it whatever you want. Loophole, rule, whatever. What's in for the teams to give college players this out? More importantly what's in it for the NHLPA? I could easily see them sacrificing college players on this alter if they got something else.

There was some noise that Nashville and others would push for change but I guess we'll see.

The flip side is how big a problem is this really? It's been well discussed that it makes little economic sense to play it out when you can burn a year of your first contract -- Vesey likely cost himself money in exchange for UFA freedom.

BuffaloKatanas

Jan 11, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Do you guys think that this change would work in the new CBA. NCAA player rights remain the same, but if a team tries to sign the player (like Nashville did for Vesey) and the player refuses, they have to wait anot her year to sign with an NHL team. Player would be more willing to sign with their drafted team. If no offer is made, the player can immediately sign.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The only way to close this loophole is to change things such that a player that plays four years in the NCAA needs to wait an entire year after graduation to hit UFA.

Who knows if that is even a topic of discussion since it's such a rare occurrence.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Is this the league record for worrying about losing a star NCAA player? Kid hasn't even played Game 1 of his junior season yet.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The only way to close this loophole is to change things such that a player that plays four years in the NCAA needs to wait an entire year after graduation to hit UFA.
Which means 1) if your team doesn't want to sign you, you're screwed 2) players who played a year of major junior after getting drafted can still become UFAs after their junior year of college.

Who knows if that is even a topic of discussion since it's such a rare occurrence.
It probably isn't, except among fans.

Is this the league record for worrying about losing a star NCAA player? Kid hasn't even played Game 1 of his junior season yet.
I recall there was some concern about Fasching this time last year and McCabe a year before he signed.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I recall there was some concern about Fasching this time last year and McCabe a year before he signed.

Buffalo gonna Buffalo. Someone tweeted at Bakes today that he was concerned Fitzgerald would do well at BC, refuse to sign, go UFA and sign with Boston or Jersey.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Buffalo gonna Buffalo. Someone tweeted at Bakes today that he was concerned Fitzgerald would do well at BC, refuse to sign, go UFA and sign with Boston or Jersey.

So, I actually don't fall into a category where I worry about him signing or not signing and going to UFA, but I think the likelihood of non-first rounders that rise to elite level in the NCAA taking this option has increased.

With that said, for every guy you lose like that, there are 5 guys like Nelson and Rodriguez that are late bloomers and can plug into a lineup. There also seems to be lots of goalies that can be had when you need one.

Additionally, the sabres were in on Vesey - so the more guys that do this, the merrier.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
With that said, for every guy you lose like that, there are 5 guys like Nelson and Rodriguez that are late bloomers and can plug into a lineup. There also seems to be lots of goalies that can be had when you need one.

Exactly. I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about a scenario that has happened something like five times, ever.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

@SabresProspects -
Connor Hurley gets his first point of the year, an assist, just 33 seconds into the season. Notre Dame leads ASU 1-0. Cal Petersen in net.
Connor Hurley two assists - Cal Petersen 4 saves made/5 shots faced as Notre Dame leads Arizona State 3-1 after the first period.

LaxSabre - Notre Dame wins 9-2 over Arizona State.
Connor Hurley Stats - 2 Assists - 1 Shot On Goal - +/- 1. Cal Petersen Stats - 39:41 Time On Ice - 1 Goal Allowed - 10 Saves.
Cal Petersen only played the first two periods - he was replaced at the start of the third period by freshman Cale Morris.
The two teams meet again tonight - 7:05 pm ET face-off - at the Compton Ice Arena in South Bend, Indiana.
You can watch the game online at NBCSports.com via the LIVE Extra Feed.

Game Recap - Notre Dame 9 Arizona State 2 - http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/100716aaa.html
Boxscore - Notre Dame 9 Arizona State 2 - http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2016-17/box_score/stats_20161008aaa.pdf

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Cal Petersen (Notre Dame) at Minnesota Duluth - Friday, October 14 - LIVE - 8:00 pm ET - Fox College Sports Pacific.
(Replays - Saturday, October 15 - 1:30 am ET - Fox College Sports Pacific - 3:00 pm ET - Fox College Sports Central.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad