Prospect Info: Cal Petersen (2013, 129th) – '16-17: Notre Dame #40 (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
When does Johansson come over?

And with Ullmark I'd have to believe they want him to be the guy in Roch next year. This year is a nice look and all but he needs to be getting regular starting goalie usage. They'll sign a backup from the wheel of backups to go with Lehner.

Johansson is only 20 - so I'm guessing another year or two. You might be right about Ullmark and how they handle next year's backup. I do think they will send Ullmark to Roch as soon as Lehner starts playing games. I would expect them to ride him down there as much as possible. One complication could be the trade deadline. I can see Johnson dealt which would necessitate a call-up - which I would expect to be Ullmark.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This year is interesting because even when he comes back Lehner shouldn't be thrown into a full starters schedule. He's basically coming off two major injury layoffs now. The backup here I expect to get a lot of playing time the second half of the season.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
This year is interesting because even when he comes back Lehner shouldn't be thrown into a full starters schedule. He's basically coming off two major injury layoffs now. The backup here I expect to get a lot of playing time the second half of the season.

Lehner's in a bad spot for sure and so are the Sabres as a result. It's almost a year without any real playing time for him. Throw in the weight/conditioning issue and there's a big adjustment period coming for sure. I know the Sabres would love to see him grab hold of the starter role ASAP - but reality is closer to what you are saying.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Excited to see how far he moves up next time we do the rankings (should be soon, right?). He's really starting to look like a legit goalie prospect

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Notre Dame G Cal Petersen named Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season. Made 92 saves in two ties at Denver University.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
‏ The Irish close out non-conference play next weekend - Friday, January 8/Saturday, January 9 - with a home-and-home series versus Western Michigan.
Notre Dame will host Game #1 on Friday - 7:30 pm ET - NBC Sports Network. Game #2 on Saturday at Western Michigan - 8:00 pm ET on CBS Sports Network.

Series Preview - Notre Dame vs Western Michigan - https://twitter.com/NDHockey/status/685118660717973504

During Notre Dame’s current six-game unbeaten streak, sophomore goaltender Cal Petersen has posted a 1.47 goals-against average and a .957 save percentage.

Last time Notre Dame and Western Michigan played - November 28, 2015 - Cal Petersen had 31 saves in a 3-1 Notre Dame win.

Petersen Honored By Hockey East -
After leading the Notre Dame hockey team to a pair of ties at 17th-ranked Denver this past weekend - Cal Petersen was named the Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, January 4. Petersen and the Irish skated to a 1-1 overtime tie against the Pioneers on Friday, January 1 with Petersen making a season-high 49 saves in that contest - including 23 saves in the second period. Then on Saturday, January 2, Petersen made 43 saves as Notre Dame and Denver played to a 2-2 overtime tie. For the weekend, Petersen posted a 1.40 goals against average to go along with an impressive .968 save percentage - stopped 92 of 95 shots faced.

Petersen Carrying The Mail -
Sophomore goaltender Cal Petersen has started each of Notre Dame's first 19 games of the 2015-2016 season. Dating back to last season, he has started each of Notre Dame’s last 32 games. In Hockey East play this season, Petersen is 6-1-2 with a 1.75 goals-against average and a .930 save percentage. Petersen is also one of five Hockey East goaltenders to have played at least 90 percent of their team’s minutes in net as of January 5 - #1-Thatcher Demko - BC - 99.6% - #2-Kevin Boyle - UML - 99.0% - #3-Cal Petersen - ND - 98.8% - #4-Nick Ellis - PC - 93.9% - #5-Rob Nichols - UConn - 92.7%

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Notre Dame defeats Western Michigan 7-1.

Irish goalie Cal Peterson totaled 17 saves and allowed one goal in 52:24 of ice time.
Chad Katunar recorded a save and 7:29 of ice time. (LaxSabre - Cal was just replaced in net - he suffered no injury.)
Sabres prospect Connor Hurley (one assist) and local Dennis Gilbert (two assists) had points for Notre Dame.

The two teams resume their weekend series at 8:05 pm ET Saturday in Kalamazoo, Michigan at Lawson Ice Arena.
Fans can follow the action on CBS Sports Network or by listening to Darin Pritchett on New Country 99.9 FM or WatchND.tv.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/010816aaa.html

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Cal Petersen back in net. Going back to 2014-2015, Petersen has now started 34 straight games for Notre Dame. Great situation for developing goalie.

Cal Petersen 20/20 through two periods as Notre Dame leads Western Michigan 2-0.

LaxSabre - Notre Dame leads 3-2 with four minutes remaining in the game. Petersen with a huge cross the crease save on a 2-1 a few minutes earlier.
Petersen with a another save - Notre Dame called for a penalty - Western Michigan with a late power-play.
Notre Dame kills the penalty - Western Michigan pulls goalie - timeout - 29 seconds left.
Crap! - Western Michigan ties it up - extra attacker goal by Dries - who slotted home a blocked shot in front - at 19:38.

@NDHockey - Petersen with a game-saving stop on Dries to end OT! Irish extend unbeaten streak to 8 games with a 3-3 tie at Western Michigan.
LaxSabre - Petersen also had a nice shoulder save earlier in the overtime.

@SabresProspects - Great stop by Petersen with 5 seconds left in OT to preserve 3-3 tie at WMU. Made himself big at top of the crease. 36 saves total.
Petersen allowed a breakaway goal (beaten by a really nice backhand deke) in the exhibition 3x3 OT.

Last edited:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Wow, 34th straight start for Notre Dame. You couldn't ask for a better developmental situation then that.

Between Ullmark, Petersen, Kasdorff and Johansson there is hope that one breaks through as a future big time stopper.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Is there anything left for him to learn at his current level - especially given how many games he has played? I would not at all be surprised for him to sign after the season to take advantage of what I see as a huge opportunity in goal in the organization.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Is there anything left for him to learn at his current level - especially given how many games he has played? I would not at all be surprised for him to sign after the season to take advantage of what I see as a huge opportunity in goal in the organization.

Assuming Ullmark is the #1 in Rochester next year, no real reason to have them fighting for time. Keep their development cycles spaced out by letting Ullmark eat up the starts in Rochester and keep Petersen in college one more season. On his end, he might just prefer to stay in school, get degrees, live the college life, etc. as opposed to living on a bus in the AHL as a backup.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Assuming Ullmark is the #1 in Rochester next year, no real reason to have them fighting for time. Keep their development cycles spaced out by letting Ullmark eat up the starts in Rochester and keep Petersen in college one more season. On his end, he might just prefer to stay in school, get degrees, live the college life, etc. as opposed to living on a bus in the AHL as a backup.

Perhaps. Kasdorf is also in the picture. He played well last July. If Buffalo does not resign Johnson, there will be an opening in Buffalo. Who knows what they are thinking about Lieuwen and Makarov.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I think that's a good point. I don't thinking more year hurts him, Ullmark gets time in Rochester as the main goaltender, and Buffalo sees what they have in Lehner.

This feels like Biron, Noronen, and Miller... part 2.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
LaxSabre - Notre Dame wins 7-2 over Merrimack College - unbeaten streak is now nine games. (They are 11-4-7 overall - 7-1-2 in Hockey East.)
Cal Petersen stopped 24 of 26 shots in 55:48 of action.
Petersen was relieved for the final 4:12 by senior Nick Stasack, who stopped the only Merrimack College shot he faced in his first career appearance.
The two teams played again tonight - 7:10 face-off - with the game being televised LIVE on the NBC Sports Network - online at NBC Sports LIVE Extra at NBCSports.com
http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/011516aaa.html

@SabresProspects - #Sabres Cal Petersen is unbeaten in his last nine starts for Notre Dame.
Petersen is 6-0-3 over that stretch with a 1.55 GAA and .952 save%.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'm not saying that it isn't a plus that Petersen is the Irish workhorse or that he can get white hot and put together great stretches (i.e., February 2015; these past 9 GP), but I think his average play in the remainder often gets overlooked. He's a bit mercurial in the sense that I don't think he's showed the consistency yet to be in the conversation for AHL duty next season and should definitely return to Notre Dame.

To put this POV into stat context, Petersen's stat-line read 6-11-2, 2.79, .900 heading into February 2015 and he came out of the month at 10-13-3, 2.39, .923 while finishing his freshman season at 13-16-3, 2.51, .919. Through 13 GP this sophomore season, Petersen's stat-line read 5-4-4, 2.66, .909 before this nine-game unbeaten run took him to 11-4-7, 2.26, .926.

I think you would like to see less of a discrepancy with his dips before committing to him as a pro. Just look at Kasdorf for comparison, very promising freshman season followed by two injury-plagued down years, with consistency finally showing again in his senior season. Kasdorf's worst three games SV%-wise are .907, .914, .917, with the ten others .920+ .. a smaller sample size because he got run, but more along the lines of what I'm looking for there outside the eye test.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

The spots are always so limited at each level for goalies. If he goes pro he has to compete for starts. If he stays in college, he gets to be the man. He should stay in college.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The spots are always so limited at each level for goalies. If he goes pro he has to compete for starts. If he stays in college, he gets to be the man. He should stay in college.

Agreed. Could he take the reigns in Rochester? Probably. Is there any reason for him to? Absolutely not. With kasdorf looking deserving of a contract, the possibility of ullmark starting another year in Rochester, and two other minor pro goalies in the system, the best place for Peterson is absolutely spending another year in south bend waiting. Not to mention spacing out the contract status of our goalies is just common sense.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Cal Petersen made 16 saves in a 5-1 Notre Dame win over Merrimack College.
Notre Dame now has a ten game unbeaten streak.
Notre Dame goes on the road next weekend with a two game series at Hockey East foe New Hampshire.
Fridays game starts at 7:05 pm ET and Saturdays game starts at 5:05 pm ET.
There will be TV coverage of Saturdays game - Fox College Sports Atlantic. (Replay on Fox College Sports - Sunday - 1:00 am ET.)

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Notre Dame goes on the road next weekend with a two game series at Hockey East foe New Hampshire.
Fridays game starts at 7:05 pm ET and Saturdays game starts at 5:05 pm ET.
There will be TV coverage of Saturdays game - Fox College Sports Atlantic. (Replay on Fox College Sports - Sunday - 1:00 am ET.)

Just bumping this up since the games are this weekend. In case you miss the LIVE showing or the Sunday morning replay - theres another replay - exactly 24 hours later.
Monday, January 25 on Fox College Sports Atlantic - 1:00 am ET.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Notre Dame loses to Boston College 4-0 - 12 game unbeaten streak ends.
Cal Petersen - 35 saves in defeat. Connor Hurley - 1 shot on goal - was a -1.
Notre Dame back at it next weekend at Vermont.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00