Prospect Info: Cal Petersen (2013, 129th) – '16-17: Notre Dame #40 (NCAA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Cal Petersen/Connor Hurley host Maine in a two game series this weekend.
Game Times - Friday - 6:30 pm ET - Saturday - 7:00 pm ET.

Both games will be televised - TV - NBCSN - Online - NBC LIVE Extra.
Commentators - Friday - Steve Schlanger (Play-By-Play) - Pierre McGuire ("Inside The Glass" Analyst).
Commentators - Saturday - Steve Schlanger (Play-By-Play) - Anson Carter (Analyst).

Taken From This Weeks "NHL on NBC" Press Release -
#8-Notre Dame (16-5-7 overall, 12-2-2 Hockey East) is currently tied for first place in Hockey East - has gone 11-1-3 in its last 15 games.
Sophomore Goaltender Cal Petersen has appeared in all 28 games for Notre Dame this season.
Maine (7-17-6 overall, 4-10-2 Hockey East) is coming off a pair of losses to then #6-Providence.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking good tonight against Maine. 21-22 and nicely steady in what so far is a 3-1... wait, 4-1 win.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Cal Petersen/Connor Hurley and #10-Notre Dame Fighting Irish face #9-Boston University Terriers this weekend.
The two-game series will take place at the Compton Ice Arena in Notre Dame, Indiana.
Both games will be televised LIVE via the tellie on the NBC Sports Network and online via NBC Sports LIVE Extra at NBCSports.com
Coverage of Fridays game begins at 7:30 pm ET while coverage of Saturdays game begins at 7:00 pm ET. Face-Off is scheduled for 10 minutes later.
Dan Parkhurst will handle the play-by-play of both games. Ken Hodge will be his analyst for Fridays game - Anson Carter will be his analyst for Saturdays game.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Couple nice saves from Petersen in the early going. His positioning in the crease and puck tracking are pretty good.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Petersen Leads #10 Irish Past #9 Boston University 1-0 on Senior Night.

Cal Petersen made 39 saves and Dylan Malmquist scored the game winner.

In what felt like a playoff game at the Compton Family Ice Arena on Saturday night, Cal Petersen made 39 saves and Dylan Malmquist scored the game's only goal midway through the second period as No. 10 Notre Dame defeated No. 9 Boston University, 1-0, in front of a sold out crowd on senior night.

With the win, the Irish (19-8-7, 15-5-2 HEA) finished third in the Hockey East standings, while Boston University (19-10-5, 12-6-4 HEA) dropped to fifth. Notre Dame will now have a bye in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs before playing host to a home quarterfinal, best-of-three series - March 11-March 13.

For Cal Petersen, it marked his first shutout of the season and the fifth of his Irish career. "Probably the thing I'm most proud of is, as a team, [it was] our most complete 60-minute game," Petersen said after the win. "I think if I were to rank it, it would be one of the prouder moments I've had being at Notre Dame and being a part of this team, with a mixture of the seniors getting recognized while the team played well and the way it ended."

Notre Dame will now have a bye in the first round of the Hockey East playoffs before playing host to a home quarterfinal, best-of-three series, the weekend of March 11-March 13.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/022716aab.html

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
The buzz for Ullmark a year or two ago was pretty big at least from what I read among Sabre fans. Would any one here say that Petersen is projecting to be better? He's got me pretty excited for the most part.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The buzz for Ullmark a year or two ago was pretty big at least from what I read among Sabre fans. Would any one here say that Petersen is projecting to be better? He's got me pretty excited for the most part.

I like Peterson more than Ullmark, but I think most people could go either way. Just like with Ullmark, it all has to do with development once transitioning to the pro game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like Peterson more than Ullmark, but I think most people could go either way. Just like with Ullmark, it all has to do with development once transitioning to the pro game.

Agreed. Petersen's potential is pretty damn high and Ullmark has impressed after his transition. I love that they have these guys in the pipeline.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I'd say they have similar ceilings, but Ullmark's further along so would seem more likely to hit

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
I'd say most people rated Ullmark and Petersen pretty evenly, Petersen's potential sure was already visible back then and it isn't like people didn't notice that, Ullmark was simply closer to the pro game and that's why many people (me included) focused on him more. I'm sure you would've found (and will still find) quite a few Sabres fans who still like Petersen a little more than Ullmark.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Cal Petersen (2013, fifth round) made 39 saves Saturday for his first shutout of the year as Notre Dame held off Boston University 1-0.
The shutout, the fifth of Petersen’s two-year stay in South Bend, arrived on the heels of a 21-save performance in Friday’s 3-2 loss to the Terriers.
The weekend split moves Petersen's record to 19-8-7 with a 2.08 goals-against average and a .932 save percentage.
Notre Dame finished the regular season as the third seed for the Hockey East Tournament, giving the Fighting Irish a bye next weekend when the action kicks off.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Meant to note this earlier, but Notre Dame drew arguably the hottest team in the nation in Northeastern for their QF matchup. Huskies were 17-2-3 in their last 22 GP heading into tonight, and then defeated Petersen and the Irish tonight 3-1 .. Petersen made 19/21 saves in the loss.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Midwest Regional - Friday, March 25 - Saturday, March 26 - U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Friday, March 25 - 5:30 pm ET - ESPNU/WatchESPN - #2-Michigan (24-7-5) vs #3-Notre Dame (19-10-7).

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Cal Petersen noted that although he’s a Sabres prospect, he’s first and foremost a University of Notre Dame right now. It can be hard at times to separate the media speculation and hypotheticals, but the Buffalo Sabres have made it a point to allow the goaltender to focus on his game.

“They’re a first class organization and they treat their prospects really well and understand the space I need being in college in respects to being with the team I’m with now,” Petersen said. “Going to the development camps is a priority of mine and theirs, but they’ve been very supportive and are there if I ever need anything. I’m looking forward to having an opportunity to play with them soon.”

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Motte with the winner off a pass from Compher (of course) and the Irish season is over. I'm impressed with Petersen.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Cal Petersen To Wear Captain’s “C”

Notre Dame hockey head coach Jeff Jackson has announced junior goaltender Cal Petersen will be the team’s captain for the upcoming 2016-2017 season.
In addition, Petersen’s classmates Anders Bjork, Jake Evans and Luke Ripley will serve as alternate captains.
It is believed to be the first time in Notre Dame hockey history that a goaltender will serve as a team captain.

“We selected these four juniors and I think they all bring something different to the table with Cal being the leader of the group,” Jackson said.
“With Cal’s position, the other three will be required to step up in game situations.
I think Luke, Jake and Anders are all instrumental players in our lineup but, more importantly, they also have respect and ear of the team.”

Started all 37 games in 2015-2016 and led the nation in percentage of team minutes played while posting a 19-11-7 record.
Finished with a 2.20 goals-against average and a .927 save percentage, which ranked 12th in the country.
2.20 goals-against average was the sixth-best, single-season total - .927 save percentage was third-best, single-season mark in program history.
An Honorable Mention Hockey East All-Star, he posted a 1.77 goals-against average, good for second in the league, while his .937 save percentage in league play ranked third.
Was named the Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week three times. Also earned Hockey East Goaltender of the Month honors for January.

The Fighting Irish open the 2016-2017 regular season with a weekend home series against Arizona State on October 7-8 at the Compton Family Ice Arena.

http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/083116aab.html

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So how long until a Sabres fan goes Full Buffalo and manufactures a crisis that Petersen will UFA after his senior season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad