Cal Clutterbuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
For sure, Cullen was great for about half his Wild career and invisible/injured for the other half.

Really though, with no cap space, no prospects coming up, and no injury excuse like 2011-12, I suppose you end up arguing about which 3rd liner to keep/trade.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
What would bug me is signing Clutter to a multi-year deal and then feeling obligated to put him on a scoring line. I don't think he'd succeed in that role. The more he tries to be a skill guy, the less effective he is. Especially if you're playing him against tough opposition. Like last year when he was on the second line, that was a friggin disaster.

Why would Clutterbuck be a second line player all of a sudden if he signed an extension? Doesn't make much sense...

The other rub is, yeah, you want guys like Clutterbuck (or Bickell or Bolland or Versteeg or Ladd or Byfuglien or Shaw or any of the other 3rd/4th liners Chicago's had when they won). But Wild lack the elite high end players who can pull the team in lean times or draw the top opposition to open up the ice for the secondary scorers. So yeah, I guess we could have Clutterbuck as a really nice 3rd/4th liner on the team, but unless all the stars align and the Wild have two scoring lines going at once (which has happened NEVER in the past ten years), it's not really going to matter much in the end.

Yep, the Wild really needs high end players. However, that has nothing to do with Clutterbuck being on or off the team.

• You're not getting one for Clutterbuck.
• Playing the role he does, he certainly won't be blocking any coming up through the system.
• Cal Clutterbuck presence is not blocking adding that player.

I don't see the issue/reasoning. But because they don't have a ton of high end talent, they need to get by with a solid line-up top to bottom until they do. Clutterbuck fills that role with the ability to play the minutes he does and fill in on the scoresheet from time to time playing in the bottom six.

I'd rather see the team try and shore up the defense because I feel that if we aren't going to have any goal scoring, might as well go all-in on a defensive style, keep the scores low, frustrate the other team, and try and squeak out some close wins like we did under Lemaire. Is it boring? Not any more boring than watching your team getting its ass kicked.

Unless they're adding to Clutterbuck, I don't see them getting any vast improvement on the blue line. And given Clutterbuck's defensive prowess, I think you can build around what he provides.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
So assume you keep Clutter, who do you buy out or move?

Also, assume you dump Gilbert, how do you fix the blue line?

That's why I don't get paid the big bucks. I'd figure out a way to move less useful players, though.

If they don't plan on re-upping Setoguchi, I'd swap him in the offseason for an adequate defenseman and get some wiggle room that way.

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
I would probably go with TP on this. Clutter is a valuable player come playoff time. I don't know how this would work with our center depth but I almost rather us trade Brodizak and sign Cullen. That way we can put some speed on our third line. Maybe roll a Clutter-Cullen-Mitchell line. Maybe move Coyle to center anyways?

Parise-Koivu-Seto
Pommer-Coyle-Zucker
Clutter-Cullen-Mitchell
Heatly?

Last edited:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I would probably go with TP on this. Clutter is a valuable player come playoff time. I don't know how this would work with our center depth but I almost rather us trade Brodizak and sign Cullen. That way we can put some speed on our third line. Maybe roll a Clutter-Cullen-Mitchell line. Maybe move Coyle to center anyways?

Parise-Koivu-Seto
Pommer-Coyle-Zucker
Clutter-Cullen-Mitchell
Heatly?

I'd take a healthy Brodziak over Cullen on our third line.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Don't think a bigger mistake could be made this offseason than moving Clutterbuck for anything less than a defenseman who can fill some big minutes on the second pairing, is cost controlled, and has room to grow into his game yet.

Most everyone is down a Clutterbuck's game after a truncated and condensed schedule. Both of which due no favors to his style of play. Move him for pennies on the dollar and I think you'll ultimately regret not having him on the biggest stage where his game translates the best. And it should be no surprise that he was one of the best players for the Wild during the Chicago series.

That was along my lines of thinking as well.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota

Good questions... If GMCF could get away with it, go for a 1-year deal based on their Qualifying Offers for all of the RFAs. This would be with the understanding that these players have value and will be rewarded with loyalty from the organization on their next contracts. Yeah, I know... seems really really cheesy, but...

Here I go... to CapGeek...

I landed on an old idea. Package the BFFs of Setoguchi and Mitchell in a trade. Send them both to Calgary for one of their later first rounders... ? Thoughts on that?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Mikael Granlund ($2.100m)
Jason Pominville ($4.505m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.975m) / Dany Heatley ($7.500m)
Jason Zucker ($0.833m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($1.700m)
Stephane Veilleux ($0.588m) / Jake Dowell ($0.700m) / Mike Rupp ($1.500m)
Zenon Konopka ($0.925m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jonas Brodin ($1.444m)
Marco Scandella ($1.025m) / Tom Gilbert ($4.000m)
Clayton Stoner ($1.050m) / Jared Spurgeon ($0.578m)
Justin Falk ($0.866m) / Nate Prosser ($0.825m)
GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($3.417m)
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mark Parrish ($0.928m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,468,451; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,656,549

djgriff

Jul 3, 2011
Good questions... If GMCF could get away with it, go for a 1-year deal based on their Qualifying Offers for all of the RFAs.

The players, maybe. Their agents, no way.

San Jose is looking for a top 6 winger, with Havlat being hurt and/or if they want to move Burns back to D. We all know how much Seto liked it there. Seto for Demers and one or two of their second round picks? (They have three). Demers replaces Gilbert, allowing us to buy him out. We then have enough money to give our RFAs legitimate deals, and resign Cullen.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.538m) / Mikko Koivu ($6.750m) / Jason Pominville ($4.505m)
Jason Zucker ($0.833m) / Matt Cullen ($3.000m) / Charlie Coyle ($0.975m)
Mikael Granlund ($2.100m) / Kyle Brodziak ($2.833m) / Dany Heatley ($7.500m)
Mike Rupp ($1.500m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.900m) / Cal Clutterbuck ($2.000m)
Jake Dowell ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.538m) / Jonas Brodin ($1.444m)
Marco Scandella ($1.025m) / Jared Spurgeon ($2.000m)
Clayton Stoner ($1.050m) / Jason Demers ($1.500m)
Nate Prosser ($0.825m)
GOALTENDERS
Niklas Backstrom ($3.417m)
Josh Harding ($1.900m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mark Parrish ($0.928m)
Buyout: Tom Gilbert ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,212,201; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,912,799

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I find it funny that so many people think Clutterbuck's shot is sooo bad, yet, over the past few seasons I don't think you could name a person on this roster that has scored more goals in transition picking a corner...

Exactly. Clutterbuck, prior to this season, Clutterbuck was a career 9.2% shooter. This season he shot 4.6%

Whats the more likely scenerio, his shot all of a sudden got horrible or he just had an unlucky season that was to short to trend back up towards his career norms? My bet is the second one.

Just like players sometimes have an unreasonably high shooting percentage and score a ton more goals(Eberle) players can have an unreasonably low shooting percentage. It bet money Cal is back up towards his norm next year, scoring his 15-20 goals.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Might be better to just try to get him offer sheeted. He'll be in the 2nd round pick range and if a team is really stupid maybe in the 1st and 3rd. I'd take that over a mid round pick.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
I should watch a movie right now...

But have to confess that I ate Ben&Jerry's Peanut Buttercup ice cream earlier today.

It must be a sign.

Offer him just peanuts and he'll be fine.

THEALLKNOWING*

Get rid of the guy. Should have done it two years ago when the league was enamored with hit useless hits number. A shortened season should have actually helped him. After all, he faded at least 2, if not 3 previous seasons during the second half. BTW, his shooting percentage only counts if he hits the net. I would venture to say that with some of the shots that were blocked, and what were perceived as passes but were really shots, his number would be about 1%.

GORGO

Dec 10, 2011
BABBITT, MN
Can't we find a way to get rid of Brodziac instead?... At least Clutter gets his nose dirty once in awhile. Brodziac floats around like he's in The Ice Capades.. Worthless IMO.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
I'd think getting a 2nd round pick and maybe even a mid-level prospect for Cal is darn good return for him, if we trade him sure hope the Wild still get a decent return like that for him.

Billy Mays Here*

Come on Feaster, go full Pejorative Slur again and give up a 1st for Clutter. Obviously not the 6th overall pick though.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hopefully Fletcher made mention to have a quality prospect come back not someone like Pitlick. Sorry but we already have enough guys like Pitlick in the system.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
I would be surprised if Clutterbuck doesn't get a first, Gaustad got a 1st and Clutterbuck is younger and still a RFA with a desirable skillset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad