Cal Clutterbuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

willt23

Mar 22, 2013
OK so just in front of Parise is Clutterbuck as my favourite player (never too old to have favourites! I see he is coming up to be a free agent this off-season, and personally I'd love to see him play so that when I eventually make the trip to Minnesota in the next season or two that I get to see him play.

What are the chances of the Wild signing him up? Or him even agreeing a deal?

Cheers,

Will

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
He's an RFA... so the Wild have a lot of control over his future. That being said he's one of the Wild's best trade assets... so he could be dangled for some blue line help.

I think Clutter ends up sticking around because his season wasn't up to his normal standards , so the market will be down enough on him to keep him affordable.

That being said, if the Wild end up having to break the bank to get a #1 goaltender (or to resign backstrom) they may be forced to move Clutter to save some cap space.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
Wouldn't mind seeing Clutter gone. He was the ghost of a shell of his former self. One good year last season with 15 goals and he completely gave up his tenacious hitting which made him so great. Then he didn't score and basically just a waste of space out there.

However, his value can't be nearly as high as it was a year or two ago.

Billy Mays Here*

Don't really care either way whether he stays or goes. If he's traded though I hope it's in a package for a player to upgrade the lineup. I don't want him traded for just a pick or two.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Given the very little cap space Minnesota has, I really don't see GMCF trading Clutter for an established player with a contract. That contract needs to be less than <3 million. Unless it's a rookie (and most GMs don't want to trade established rookies), he doesn't have a ton of flexibility on what he can do with Clutter.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Think there's a chance Wild could trade Clutter + 3rd + Spurgeon/Stoner/Gilbert for a better defenseman?

I do think it's possible Clutterbuck is a piece in a trade for a defenseman.

I'm also of the opinion that Clutterbuck is a prime trade possibility due to Cap Issues, as is Gilbert. I don't think Stoner has much value, he's the kind of player teams pick up as UFA's to fill out the roster. Spurgeon is a Top 4 Dman for the Wild, how many other team's would consider him a Top 4 guy?

walloftvs

Mar 8, 2010
Minnesota
IMO, Clutter's play has severely dropped off the last 2 seasons. My guess is he'll be back simply due to him having less value than perceived -- I think the perceived value on here is simply due to most fan's not ever watching us play.

Public message to Cal: You are not the sniper you think you are. Get back to playing the game that got you in the league.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Wouldn't mind seeing Clutter gone. He was the ghost of a shell of his former self. One good year last season with 15 goals and he completely gave up his tenacious hitting which made him so great. Then he didn't score and basically just a waste of space out there.

However, his value can't be nearly as high as it was a year or two ago.

For once you and I agree.

I want to see him gone. He's a role player, and he doesn't play his role anymore.

I do feel that his trade value is artificially inflated a bit, due to the overall perception of him though. I would seek to capitalize on this if I were Chuck.

We have other players who can do what he does, or we could trade for a player that will truly be an agitator.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
IMO, Clutter's play has severely dropped off the last 2 seasons. My guess is he'll be back simply due to him having less value than perceived -- I think the perceived value on here is simply due to most fan's not ever watching us play.

Public message to Cal: You are not the sniper you think you are. Get back to playing the game that got you in the league.

I think injuries are starting to play into his change of play.

Imo, I don't think he'll ever be as useful as he once was to us.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

This.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Don't think a bigger mistake could be made this offseason than moving Clutterbuck for anything less than a defenseman who can fill some big minutes on the second pairing, is cost controlled, and has room to grow into his game yet.

Most everyone is down a Clutterbuck's game after a truncated and condensed schedule. Both of which due no favors to his style of play. Move him for pennies on the dollar and I think you'll ultimately regret not having him on the biggest stage where his game translates the best. And it should be no surprise that he was one of the best players for the Wild during the Chicago series.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Don't think a bigger mistake could be made this offseason than moving Clutterbuck for anything less than a defenseman who can fill some big minutes on the second pairing, is cost controlled, and has room to grow into his game yet.

Most everyone is down a Clutterbuck's game after a truncated and condensed schedule. Both of which due no favors to his style of play. Move him for pennies on the dollar and I think you'll ultimately regret not having him on the biggest stage where his game translates the best. And it should be no surprise that he was one of the best players for the Wild during the Chicago series.

I agree. IMO people are way under-valuing Clutts. Will his style of play break him down prematurely? Maybe. Maybe not for several years. The Wild's current roster is very soft. Losing the team's biggest hitter... The team needs more guys like Clutts, subtracting him is a step in the wrong direction - UNLESS there's a decent return like D man that fits this providence's template. I'd add a robust physical game to that Dman's attributes, too.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Depends on how things are going up front. Obviously I'd offer arbitration, can't see him getting over 2M that way on a 1-year deal with the year he had. With Dowell, Rupp, Konopka, and Mitchell all having contracts we're kinda filled on the 4th line, so we'd need a 3rd line wing spot for Clutterbuck, and if Seto/Coyle/Zucker/Parise/Pominville/Heatley remain there's not really a spot. Something has to give.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
big buck was my fav player for several years, im not sure why his level of play dropped. if mgmt feels he wont / cant recover then i would understand moving him. i hope he stays & regains beast mode! cheers

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Clutterbuck is way more overvalued than undervalued. Times like this I really wish there was effective advanced statistics for hockey.

If you stop watching Clutterbuck's hits for a second, and take a bird's eye view of when he is on the ice, you will see the other team's MASSIVELY out-chancing the Wild. There are many reason for this, but in sum it is because Clutterbuck is the anti-puck possession player.

Even his "best" quality of hitting has been declining since his rookie season, and will continue to decline because he's not getting any younger, and, as the Bruins are making 100% right now, "being physical" also means out-muscling the other team on the boards and downlow, two things Clutterbuck is terrible at. Bruins are winning the Stanley Cup right now because they can hit AND manhandle their opponents.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Here's his Corsi (team rank/number of players):

2012-13 5/15
2011-12 9/19
2010-11 8/16
2009-10 10/15
2008-09 10/16

Pretty much mid-pack.

I'd agree Clutter is very effective without the puck, it's his play with the puck that keeps him from being a contributor. I like him as a disruptor and on the PK i.e. 4th line.

Billy Mays Here*

No. That would be too large of a package. With his contract status he would just be a throw in.

Considering Bernier is in the same situation, no, he wouldn't be just a throw in. If it really did get to the point where a guy like Clutter is just a throw in, then Fletcher should drop out of the race and just re-sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad