Cal Clutterbuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
Watching Andrew Shaw, Dave Bolland and Brad Marchand this postseason remind of everything I was hoping Cal Clutterbuck could be, but will never be

Abolutely must trade i'm hoping this offseason for us.

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Watching Andrew Shaw, Dave Bolland and Brad Marchand this postseason remind of everything I was hoping Cal Clutterbuck could be, but will never be

Abolutely must trade i'm hoping this offseason for us.

Did u see him in the playoffs? he was one of our best forwards.. but, cant say the same in the regular season...

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I feel like now could be the best time to trade him and maximize his return. I guess a lot of that has to do with the unknown that is his next contract, but if he has another season like last his value is only going down. He's arguably one of our most desired assets league-wide of what we've been told could be available. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade him just to trade him, but this summer might be the best time to do so.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I feel like now could be the best time to trade him and maximize his return. I guess a lot of that has to do with the unknown that is his next contract, but if he has another season like last his value is only going down. He's arguably one of our most desired assets league-wide of what we've been told could be available. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to trade him just to trade him, but this summer might be the best time to do so.

He has a lot of upside, but his downside is a huge fallout for me. The guy cannot play against his man...just HAS to make that damn hit. And that shot is atrocious. How it has actually gotten worse is beyond me. And the fact Yeo never told him to stop shooting the puck is beyond me. PMB doesn't shoot it for some unknown reason (and he has a pretty accurate shot) and Clutter actually shot it more?!

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Everyone was really crap offensively speaking, not just clutterbuck. But, he had some great chances and was good defensively.

Nailed it. He is a fan favorite, but right now i very confident he is going to be traded while he as value. The big question is, if the return is BIG, would we trade him in our division?

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I find it funny that so many people think Clutterbuck's shot is sooo bad, yet, over the past few seasons I don't think you could name a person on this roster that has scored more goals in transition picking a corner...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
For those 5-10 goals per year I could see Zucker easily replacing that.

The big question is, can you find someone to improve the second pairing? No brainer to move Clutter if you can find a 3/4 defenseman. I just don't think it's possible.

MAYBE if you go dumpster diving on Kaberle.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I find it funny that so many people think Clutterbuck's shot is sooo bad, yet, over the past few seasons I don't think you could name a person on this roster that has scored more goals in transition picking a corner...

I wish a few other guys on this roster had Clutterbuck's willingness to shoot. That is what I really admired out of his game this last season. For all the complaining there is about the team's low number of shots, he is at least trying to helping that cause.

That positivity aside, I still feel like this might be the best time to maximize his return if he's not in our long-term plans.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
For those 5-10 goals per year I could see Zucker easily replacing that.

Ideally, you'd take that production and then some from Zucker on the second line(+). The point is, from the third line that production is gravy and very hard to find. Save for Heatley, the Wild don't have a player on roster that's going to replace that. And Heatley isn't exactly you're typical third line filler anyway.

MAYBE if you go dumpster diving on Kaberle.

Yuck. Would want zero part of that.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Cal may be part of the trade that gets the Wild back into the first round of the draft that Fletcher has been talking about wanting to do.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
Cal may be part of the trade that gets the Wild back into the first round of the draft that Fletcher has been talking about wanting to do.

as much as I would love to see this happen, I just don't think its possible.

Who are our expendable assets that would fetch a decent price? The only people I can think of are Setoguchi / Clutterbuck / Brodziak / Bulmer / Phillips / ???

spots to watch out for are;

22. Calgary (from StL)
27. Columbus (from LA)
28. Calgary (from Pit.)
29. Dallas (from Bos.)
31. Florida
36. Montreal (from Cgy.)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
as much as I would love to see this happen, I just don't think its possible.

Who are our expendable assets that would fetch a decent price? The only people I can think of are Setoguchi / Clutterbuck / Brodziak / Bulmer / Phillips / ???

spots to watch out for are;

22. Calgary (from StL)
27. Columbus (from LA)
28. Calgary (from Pit.)
29. Dallas (from Bos.)
31. Florida
36. Montreal (from Cgy.)

You forgot to include BN Tom Gilbert

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I wish a few other guys on this roster had Clutterbuck's willingness to shoot. That is what I really admired out of his game this last season. For all the complaining there is about the team's low number of shots, he is at least trying to helping that cause.

That positivity aside, I still feel like this might be the best time to maximize his return if he's not in our long-term plans.

I commend his willingness to shoot, but it is a predictable shot. Top right. Every goalie knows it. And I don't care what someone has done in previous seasons when so many people here are accosting Gilbert for his lack of play this season and want him out and not Clutterbuck. I certainly hope it isn't because everyone has his jersey or something :sarcasm:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I commend his willingness to shoot, but it is a predictable shot. Top right. Every goalie knows it. And I don't care what someone has done in previous seasons when so many people here are accosting Gilbert for his lack of play this season and want him out and not Clutterbuck. I certainly hope it isn't because everyone has his jersey or something :sarcasm:

Oh, don't get me wrong, Clutterbuck went to the school of Miettenen when it comes to shot accuracy, but he at least wants to shoot it which is a nice change of pace from the plethora of "pass-first" forwards on the team.

Personally, I won't be crushed to see Clutter or Gilbert gone this off-season. Although Gilbert had a bad year last season, I doubt he plays to his salary next year which is why I wouldn't be against a buyout.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
... If Clutterbuck had a more accurate shot he wouldn't be a third line forward and making ~$2m annually.

I guess I don't see the urge by many in hoping to see Clutterbuck out the door. He provides a hell of a lot to this team given their commitment to him yet he's picked apart like a player who's expected to be among the main contributors in the top six and collecting $4m+ per. Frankly, this team could use a lot more players like him and people will be wishing they had more of his type of play when/if the Wild are a yearly playoff team.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
... If Clutterbuck had a more accurate shot he wouldn't be a third line forward and making ~$2m annually.

I guess I don't see the urge by many in hoping to see Clutterbuck out the door. He provides a hell of a lot to this team given their commitment to him yet he's picked apart like a player who's expected to be among the main contributors in the top six and collecting $4m+ per. Frankly, this team could use a lot more players like him and people will be wishing they had more of his type of play when/if the Wild are a yearly playoff team.

i'm with you. best i can think of is people are pre-rejecting him. He's our most tradeable asset right now (given contract situations, cap considerations--need the ELCs) and so...people see a hole, they want to fill it.

I worry about our team...really soft last year and people want Seto and Clutter gone. LOL there go half our hits. Probably. i didn't count.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

If Clutter had a more accurate shot he'd definitely make Setoguchi expendable because he's a better PK'er and more physical (and more effective with his physical play). But both of them still lack playmaking abilities due to lack of puck handling or vision or both. And that holds both of them back from being top players.

What would bug me is signing Clutter to a multi-year deal and then feeling obligated to put him on a scoring line. I don't think he'd succeed in that role. The more he tries to be a skill guy, the less effective he is. Especially if you're playing him against tough opposition. Like last year when he was on the second line, that was a friggin disaster.

The other rub is, yeah, you want guys like Clutterbuck (or Bickell or Bolland or Versteeg or Ladd or Byfuglien or Shaw or any of the other 3rd/4th liners Chicago's had when they won). But Wild lack the elite high end players who can pull the team in lean times or draw the top opposition to open up the ice for the secondary scorers. So yeah, I guess we could have Clutterbuck as a really nice 3rd/4th liner on the team, but unless all the stars align and the Wild have two scoring lines going at once (which has happened NEVER in the past ten years), it's not really going to matter much in the end.

I'd rather see the team try and shore up the defense because I feel that if we aren't going to have any goal scoring, might as well go all-in on a defensive style, keep the scores low, frustrate the other team, and try and squeak out some close wins like we did under Lemaire. Is it boring? Not any more boring than watching your team getting its ass kicked.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
i also laugh at the people clamoring to re-sign Cullen considering how much of a whipping boy he has been in the past. sure, he was the knife that put the butter on Setoguchi, but really guys... That says more about Setoguchi than Cullen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad