C/W William Nylander - Modo, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I've read that he's not going to play in the Allsvenskan as he wants to keep his NCAA options open.

If he has a junior contract with SSK that wouldnt make him a professional in the eyes of NCAA or would it?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
If he has a junior contract with SSK that wouldnt make him a professional in the eyes of NCAA or would it?
Well, what does a junior contract actually entail?
It's rare but players from European countries do commit to colleges straight from their respective junior leagues and their eligibility is fine as long as they don't play in their respective top senior leagues (aka SEL and SEL-2 in Sweden, Division 1 and lower are fine).
Even if he receives some sort of stipend, I think he may be fine as the real issue the NCAA has is leagues that have players signed to senior contracts.
The SuperElit technically has a few of those, but of course everything the NCAA does is asterisked and they apply rules selectively.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I never understood the secrecy in all this. Maybe he just hasn't figured it out, and since he's probably not going to be a regular on the men's team it makes sense to keep all options open.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Would playing on a team with his father be his best hockey move?

Would be neat but not sure that it would be the best thing for his development.

Playing in SEL-2 would be a step up from SuperElit, but also a bit riskier I think with injuries and such I can imagen, puck-hogs are targeted...

Question; is the NCAA competitve enough for elite talent? Will it hold him back playing for a NCAA team or would it be a great way to get used to NA hockey?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Playing in SEL-2 would be a step up from SuperElit, but also a bit riskier I think with injuries and such I can imagen, puck-hogs are targeted...

Question; is the NCAA competitve enough for elite talent? Will it hold him back playing for a NCAA team or would it be a great way to get used to NA hockey?

Toews played NCAA for two seasons(draft year, and then another year). Yes, NCAA is very competitive for a 17 year old. Obviously you have to be an exceptional talent to play at his age, but I think he qualifies. Unless he's planning to go there post-draft, in which case I don't think it's a good alternative anymore, because he has to play SuperElit another year then where he's already too good.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Come play WHL and since he was born in Calgary he probably wouldnt count as an import, similar to David Musil.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Official: Michael has signed with Södertälje(SEL2), and William will be promoted to play with the men's team aswell.

Looking forward to watch it!

edit: William's contract is for this year and next, with out clause(SEL, CHL, whatever) for 2013/14.

Last edited:

Klown

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Official: Michael has signed with Södertälje(SEL2), and William will be promoted to play with the men's team aswell.

Great news. I think Nylander junior will make an impact right away.

I would hate to be the third part in a Nylander-Nylander-line, by the way. Two puck hoggers, and when the passes finally comes you probably will be too stupid to understand them in their almighty geniusness.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

edit: William's contract is for this year and next, with out clause(SEL, CHL, whatever) for 2013/14.

AWESOME! :banana:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

That's pretty awesome, reminds me of the Ken Griffey's playing together. William looks ready for a better league.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Plan is for William to play for the big team as soon as he's rested after Canada trip, so that'll be exciting.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Reminds me of Patrick Kane, all offensive tools and flashiness combined with playmaking and some goalscoring but as Kane not at all interested in defense.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
What he did at the Canada tournament becomes more impressive in hindsight with the news of him playing on a botched shoulder. Apparently the Swedish medical team messed up and he will miss some time with that now.

Too bad, because I know we were all excited to see what he could do with SSK.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What he did at the Canada tournament becomes more impressive in hindsight with the news of him playing on a botched shoulder. Apparently the Swedish medical team messed up and he will miss some time with that now.

Too bad, because I know we were all excited to see what he could do with SSK.

I'm pretty sure I know where he got injured. Late in the Finland game he fell awkwardly into the boards and favored his arm/shoulder. Makes sense because he was much better at the start the tournamemt. Did they *really* mess up though or just let him play through it to win?

Reminds me of Patrick Kane, all offensive tools and flashiness combined with playmaking and some goalscoring but as Kane not at all interested in defense.

You're on to something, he will play with #88.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad