C/W William Nylander - Modo, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
William Nylander Altelius

I have seen alot of William Nylander Altelius (born in Calgary, son of Michael Nylander) after he made his debut in the All-Swedish League. This kid is just amazingly talented. He seems to become one of the most exciting prospects to come out of Sweden since the Sedin's.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38703

Some highlights with William Nylander, he is unbelivebly talented with the puck, but of course a bit on the small side:

His assist in his debut in the All-Swedish League (at around the 0:50 mark):
http://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/nyheter/v3tsems3hx

Another amazing goal by William yesterday (at around the 0:50 mark):
http://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/nyheter/rj49pd7jr4

PPG player so far in the All-Swedish League (the second tier league). He is playing for the team that developed Anze Kopitar and Carl Hagelin.

At that level the following NHLers had the following output during the lockout.
Anze Kopitar 31 10 24 34
Matt Read 20 6 18 24
Carl Hagelin 8 5 6 11
Mark Letestu 7 4 0 4
Marcus Johansson 16 8 10 18
Gabriel Landeskog 17 6 8 14
Bobby Ryan 11 10 3 13
Cam Fowler 14 2 5 7
Jonathan Ericsson 4 0 1 1
Niklas Grossman 4 0 1 1
Patrik Berglund 30 20 12 32
Mikael Backlund 23 12 18 30

He is still really young (not eligble until the 14' draft) and underdeveloped physically. He ought to be able to develop a ton physically. He looks like a kid out there on the ice before the puck is dropped (see the picture below), then he just puts on a show when the puck is dropped.

nyllet.jpg

He is a great play maker, but unlike his dad he also has a really good right handed shot. You can tell that he is born and raised in NA. But his most special ability is definitely his skating. Man when he puts a move on on the ice, it looks like everyone else is skating in slow motion. All of a sudden he has skated a couple of laps in the attacking zone and everyone on the ice is just standing there turning their head trying to figure out what's going on. Its still very early, and no comparisions should be made in other areas, but I've not seen a kid that age skate like that since I saw Sid in his first WJC's. And William is on top of that a super slick stick handler.

I don't have much time to watch hockey nowadays, but when Södertälje is playing, or a has played a game, I find a way to watch them just to get to see this kid.

Last edited:

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Look at him skating away from his team mates, so classless :laugh:

And the video even cut the celebration short, he also shook his hands like Yakupov (Phoenix OT-winner I think) while sliding backwards. He ended up in Södertäljes defensive zone before he stopped and celebrated with his teammates. :laugh:

Michael was the first one to congratulate him IIRC.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Just scored the OT-winner in a game against Malmö. Now has 4 points (2+2) in 6 games in HockeyAllsvenskan playing against men.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Two goals for William in the last regular season game, one assisted by his father. His team will play in the SEL qualifiers.

TampaBolt

Muck Fichigan!
Jun 8, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Just a bump with a nice goal from Nylander;

http://ljsp.lwcdn.com/api/video/emb...22805&pi=dbd43fc5-a0af-4875-9093-12f08f6d2d3b

Also, he'll be moving up a division for his draft-year. Södertälje just reluctantly released his rights and he's heavily rumoured to be signing with Brynäs in the Swedish Elite League.

How good is he? Who does he compare to and what would his point potential be eventually? I have heard a lot from him but I have never seen him play aside from highlights. From what I have seen it seems he is an amazing skater and good puckhandler, don't know much about his hockey sense, passing and shooting.

Thanks in advance.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
How good is he? Who does he compare to and what would his point potential be eventually? I have heard a lot from him but I have never seen him play aside from highlights. From what I have seen it seems he is an amazing skater and good puckhandler, don't know much about his hockey sense, passing and shooting.

Thanks in advance.

He is the most talented player offensively I have ever seen in Sweden. Skating, shot, playmaking, puck handling, hockey sense, basically every offensive tool is elite. He is similar to his father in a couple of bad ways though, sometimes he holds on to the puck way to long instead of just making a simple pass. He literally made two laps around one of the opposing teams in one of the U17 WC games. He is also not great defensively and is still very weak but slippery. I think he could be picked very high next year if he can improve these weaknesses. I also think his main strength is his playmaking, many times he tries to be too much of a sniper.

TampaBolt

Muck Fichigan!
Jun 8, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
He is the most talented player offensively I have ever seen in Sweden. Skating, shot, playmaking, puck handling, hockey sense, basically every offensive tool is elite. He is similar to his father in a couple of bad ways though, sometimes he holds on to the puck way to long instead of just making a simple pass. He literally made two laps around one of the opposing teams in one of the U17 WC games. He is also not great defensively and is still very weak but slippery. I think he could be picked very high next year if he can improve these weaknesses. I also think his main strength is his playmaking, many times he tries to be too much of a sniper.

Thanks. Quite the praise if he is the most talented player coming from Sweden. Wow, didn't know he was that good.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Thanks. Quite the praise if he is the most talented player coming from Sweden. Wow, didn't know he was that good.

I won't say the most talented ever since I'm not that old ;), but he is the most talented player offensively the last 10 years or so. Guys like Backstrom and Lindholm were definitely more well rounded at the same age though.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Yeah, at the same age he is definitely displaying a better offensive skill-set than some of the other recent hyped Swedish forwards. Rarely do you see a Swedish youngster who can do everything offensively the way Nylander can, there's no big area of weakness in his offensive arsenal which obviously makes the sky the limit for this kid.

Really excited about what he can do next year, I think the production will surprise many.

TampaBolt

Muck Fichigan!
Jun 8, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
I won't say the most talented ever since I'm not that old ;), but he is the most talented player offensively the last 10 years or so. Guys like Backstrom and Lindholm were definitely more well rounded at the same age though.

Well if he is better than Backstrom offensively I am sold. I will try to catch some games of him whichever team he chooses to play for next season. :nod:

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
He's Pat Kane-ish. His offensive game makes you forget about the rest.

Kane is actually a pretty good comparrison.

Hope he comes to Brynäs this season. Lindholm moves to C with William on his right wing and Thuresson, Brodin or Rödin on the left. Could be a really good 2nd line.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
OFFENSIVELY, is Nylander as good as Forsberg, the Sedins, Backstrom, Lindholm?

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
OFFENSIVELY, is Nylander as good as Forsberg, the Sedins, Backstrom, Lindholm?

I mean, he's very interresting. I'm going to wait to place my final verdict until the end of this season since i don't have enough to go on at the moment. But it certainly looks like he could be the most talented offensive player to come out of Sweden in a long, long time.

Of course everything depends on how he translates his game playing againt juniors to playing against men since his frame is pretty modest at the moment. But he seems like a really smart player, my guess is he'll figure it out pretty quickly. He looked great in the games he played agains men in Allsvenskan and decent in kvalserien(though the team as a whole were very dissapointing).

Last edited:

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
William is a special offensive talent. His skating and his hands are just ridiculous. I've already seen this kid play in person almost 10 times. He's a legitimate top end pick for next season. I just wish he'd use his linemates more. Hopefully he goes to a program that will give him ice and get him to pass a little more, because he moves the puck really well when he wants to.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
A player who will be in the conversation for #1 overall.

I really haven't seen of him...and have tried to add on by watching YT videos.

Anyone who as actually watched him want to share their comments about him? ... I'm sure we'll be hearing a ton about him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad