C/W William Nylander - Modo, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't even know how some of you guys can look that far ahead. His numbers look great, but alot can happen between now and 2014..

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Wow.
I remember when Nylander played for the caps i saw his son at my local rink (30 minutes outside DC) a couple times.
I think i'm a year or two older though.
:laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Most definitely looking like a first round talent at this point, but a lot can happen until draft day obviously.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
J18 Elit is the top level of under-18 hockey in Sweden, right? I know for under-20 hockey, the J20 SuperElit is the top league, while the J20 Elit is one step down, but for under-18 hockey there's no SuperElit, and the J18 Elit is the highest level? Zibanejad started his draft year in this league (though quickly moved up to J20 SuperElit, and then the SEL), so it must be a pretty high level of hockey.

Regardless, looks like he's 48th in the league in scoring:
http://eliteprospects.com/league.php?season=2011&leagueid=J18 Elit

But he's really young (15), for players under 16 in the league he's 1st in scoring:
http://eliteprospects.com/league.php?season=2011&leagueid=J18 Elit&nation=&sort=u16

If this is actually the top level of U18 hockey in Sweden, then you have to think that he's a legit prospect. 5'11" is pretty tall for a 15 year old too. It'd be cool if he made the NHL one day, always really liked Michael Nylander, would be sweet to have another Nylander in the league!

Last edited:

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Bad decision by him to choose Södertälje imo

Why would Södertälje be a bad choice? They usually don't attract the best prospects (which will chose Djurgården, AIK or other clubs out in the country instead) but have done very well developing those players that they got.

Since 2004 theese players was drafted out of Södertälje:

Kopitar
Grossman
Hagelin
Enroth
Wandell
Bergfors

You can add Jonathan Ericsson (drafted 2002) to that.

Thats good work of developing NHL-players for a pretty minor club in Sweden. Add to that kids that could turn in to something good like Marcus Sörensen, Emil Lundberg and Johan Matsson. (given up hope on Tim Heed).

Plus almost the whole team is made up of their own products theese days.
So don't badmouth Södertälje :)

I think Nylander chose the club since he will be given a fair shot at playing for the Superelit-team in the near future.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Not saying Södertälje will ruin his career or anything like that. But if you have the opportunity (which I'm pretty sure he had) to go to a club like Brynäs, Djurgården or Skellefteå etc I think you should take it. All of them seems to have a good system for now

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
William Nylander is an interesting prospect to me. He is Michael's son and according to some he's basically a clone of his father. Was he born in canada or the US. Seems like the 2014 draft could turn out very good. I'd like to hear more about William Nylander?

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
My impression of Nylander is that he is superskilled and a great stickhandler with good vision. The questionmark about him is if he thrives in traffic, I remember he dissapeared in the playoffs for team Stockholm in the big tournament tv-pucken (for 15-year olds).

He has done very well for the swedish u-16 team thisyear with 11 points in 5 games.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
So... will he represent Sweden or the US internationally?

I seem to remember the poster American Dream saying that he knew him personally and that he would represent the US. But now he's playing for Sweden U16 according to Elite Prospects, so I guess he's a viking after all.

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Must say those midget stats are impressive, almost scored on the same pace as Mackinnon while being almost a year younger, not that those stats will decide his future;)

Hopefully he gets the chance to play in the superelit soon, and play for Sweden for gods sake!

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Anyone seen both Nylander and Timashov? If so how would you compare the two of them as players?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
So... will he represent Sweden or the US internationally?

I seem to remember the poster American Dream saying that he knew him personally and that he would represent the US. But now he's playing for Sweden U16 according to Elite Prospects, so I guess he's a viking after all.

Yup, he's pretty much bound to be playing for Sweden :)

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Anyone seen both Nylander and Timashov? If so how would you compare the two of them as players?

Have only seen Nylander in TV-Pucken last year. I saw Timashov in TV-Pucken as well and in a game when his team SDE met DIF in the J18 league this autumn. Both have sick hands, good vision and are good skaters. Timashov looked like the better skater of the two. None of them are a power forward by any means, but Nylander seemed to have more grit and straight forward style compared to Timashov. Timashov seemed to shy away from the dirty areas and physical play when he met big physical players like Liljendahl in DIF. I'd say both have good potential but Nylander is a safer bet to reach the NHL in terms of playing style.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Thanks! :handclap:

Lucky him playing with Liljendahl now then ;)

Timashov scored his first for Djurgården J18 today btw

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks! :handclap:

Lucky him playing with Liljendahl now then ;)

Timashov scored his first for Djurgården J18 today btw

And Nylander had an assist, playing for his new team SSK. Let's hope both players are doing fine and choose to play for Sweden. In that case the 96-born crop look really strong so far.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Think they most likely will? Nylander already played for Sweden and Timashov get to choose between Sweden and Ukraine I think?

WayneBruce

Jun 16, 2011
Timashov didn´t play in the last international tournament.....how much of a ukrainian is he?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Question about William Nylander? I know he is playing in sweden right now, but what if he decided to come back to NA and play major junior. Would he be drafted into the WHL or would he have to be drafted in the import draft. I think he was born in Calgary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->