C/W William Nylander - Modo, SHL (2014, 8th overall, Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
He was born in Canada. Too bad HC didnt try and convince him to play for them instead. Wonder what his potential ceiling is?

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
He was born in Canada. Too bad HC didnt try and convince him to play for them instead. Wonder what his potential ceiling is?

Well, he him self said playing for any other country except Sweden was out of the question. I wouldn't be surprised if HC has approached him though. But geting exceptional status would be much harder if he'd applied to play for Canada.

His Beardliness*

Stealing swedes is USA's thing. :sarcasm:

Was Nylander not eligible for any national team, He hasn't played long enough in either Canada or Sweden and he doesn't hold an american citizenship.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Stealing swedes is USA's thing. :sarcasm:

Was Nylander not eligible for any national team, He hasn't played long enough in either Canada or Sweden and he doesn't hold an american citizenship.

No. I don't think he has played in Canada after 14 years of age. Only USA and Sweden. But since he doesn't have an American citizenship, playing fot the USA was not even possible. He'd have been eligable to play for Sweden after this season any way, but the Swedish hockey federation wanted him to play the U18-WJC this spring witch ment they had to apply for exceptional status.

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
4 point game today. Still leads the entire scoring in J20 SuperElit with 38 points in 23 games. As a 16 year old.

For comparision, Daniel Sedin had 40 points in 26 games at the same age. Henrik had 36 points in 26 games. Other more recent players have been hovering around 1 PPG. Players such as Filip Forsberg, Andre Burakovsky, Sebastian Collberg and Victor Rask. If Nylander keeps going like this he'll beat all of those guys with ease. The scoring-leader of all time among 16 year olds is Collberg with 44 points in 35 games. And Nylander already has 38.

Can someone explain me why most ranking put him middle of 1st round? With this impressive number at this young age he should be potential top 5...no?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Can someone explain me why most ranking put him middle of 1st round? With this impressive number at this young age he should be potential top 5...no?

Not sure what 2014 rankings are out there? But it's a good 19 months left.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon

Most Swedes picked high have not been very touted long before the draft but rise once the draft approaches.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I haven't seen a recent 2014 draft list in a while(scoutman usually does those, but I haven't seen him around here lately). I'd guess that he'd be top 5 in an updated mock.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I hear he's amazingly gifted offensively, but plays almost no defense.

He is definitely much better offensively than defensively, much like his father. He is however the league leader in +/- among forwards and his linemates are significantly lower than him.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
When did that top 15 come out? I can't find anything online about it.

Maybe it came out last year? In which case, I meant that if there was an updated ranking, he might be top 5. Could be wrong though, got a link?

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
When did that top 15 come out? I can't find anything online about it.

Maybe it came out last year? In which case, I meant that if there was an updated ranking, he might be top 5. Could be wrong though, got a link?

I saw it 2 days ago on a newspaper article so I guess it's their most recent ranking...

I would like to show you but I think it's forbidden to post rankings like that...is it?

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
He is absolutely tearing up the J20 league at the moment. 13+25 in 23 games.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Two more points yesterday, a goal and an assist.

Now he's 14+26 in 24 games. Can't remember the last time a 16 year old scored at this clip in SuperElit.

Could possibly become the best offensive player to come a long for Sweden in ages. Though i'd like to see him with SSK in Allsvenskan, wich is bound to happen this season if he keeps his spectacular play up.

Can't immagine Mikael was any where near Williams production at 16. Hard to find junior stats from those days so it's hard to tell.

DSL

Jun 30, 2011
This thread is relevant to my interests...

I remember watching him in the 2011 TV-pucken, I remember that I was very impressed by his game and I think I didn't see him lose the puck once, considering how much ice time he had and how much puck possesion he had, that's quite impressive.

Can't wait to see this kid play again.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Looked very elite in u-17 but someone tell me why is he holding on to the puck for freaking hours. Does he do the same thing in Superelit?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He skated two laps around the Canada West defense yesterday on the PP. Crazy puck skills, skating and playmaking but he often tries to do everything by himself.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
He skated two laps around the Canada West defense yesterday on the PP. Crazy puck skills, skating and playmaking but he often tries to do everything by himself.

Probably needs to be challenged more, hopefully he can get a shot in the SEL2 alread this season.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Probably needs to be challenged more, hopefully he can get a shot in the SEL2 alread this season.
I've read that he's not going to play in the Allsvenskan as he wants to keep his NCAA options open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille