C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Its nice to see that JK produced at a better rate than Barkov at ES too. Theres some potential to this kid and a lot of people are sleeping on him or wont address because hes now a Hab.
He wasn't a Hab when he was rated out of the top ten. Why should people change their opinion?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He wasn't a Hab when he was rated out of the top ten. Why should people change their opinion?
rated out of the top ten by people who aren't scouts, medias and website list are irrelevant, Every teams list are different because they have different views on how they see players! Most years theres 2-3 guys who are sure fire, sometime its only 1, after the rest is by preference on how you view the players projection, this year it was 2 sureshot Highend talents and the rest all having their respective question mark, It was a good gamble for the habs to draft for needs when every prospects are so close to each other, he might or might not pan out, Its impossible to say, 1 thing is sure, if Habs pass on him and him ends up a 1C or very good 2C, the same fans are crying saying why would you pass on a guy that had this potential ( because we now know what he actually is), if we pick him and doesn't pan out, why would you pick this kid. Theres no science in drafting, you can have scouts with better vision but at the end of the day developpement isn't linear and it all depends on the kid itself! Kotkaniemi is 100% not ready, he has an exellent IQ, great shot, very good vision, weak lower body and balance. wich could be due to him being tall, growing fast and constantly adjusting. Nothing to worry about, He'll probably never be an elite skater but if he improves wich he will, his other attributes will even look better!

Last edited:

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
His mother is an actor and grandfather a director. He has lots of family connections to both theater and hockey. Kotkaniemi could be a fan favourite if he ends up being a good player, he can make people laugh with his interviews.

Something something diving jokes about Montreal players something something :sarcasm:

Please don't rip me apart it was a jest !

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
rated out of the top ten by people who aren't scouts, medias and website list are irrelevant, Every teams list are different because they have different views on how they see players! Most years theres 2-3 guys who are sure fire, sometime its only 1, after the rest is by preference on how you view the players projection, this year it was 2 sureshot Highend talents and the rest all having their respective question mark, It was a good gamble for the habs to draft for needs when every prospects are so close to each other, he might or might not pan out, Its impossible to say, 1 thing is sure, if Habs pass on him and him ends up a 1C or very good 2C, the same fans are crying saying why would you pass on a guy that had this potential ( because we now know what he actually is), if we pick him and doesn't pan out, why would you pick this kid. Theres no science in drafting, you can have scouts with better vision but at the end of the day developpement isn't linear and it all depends on the kid itself! Kotkaniemi is 100% not ready, he has an exellent IQ, great shot, very good vision, weak lower body and balance. wich could be due to him being tall, growing fast and constantly adjusting. Nothing to worry about, He'll probably never be an elite skater but if he improves wich he will, his other attributes will even look better!

Not that i disagree with you, but I believe most of the attitude for this is because once he became drafted, I found (from personal experience) that many Habs fans became very defensive over the pick and started searching out every possible justification that he was supposed to be projected as a #3 pick. Virtually none of them wanted to admit the pick was a reach at all. I'm sure there is a phrase for it, but just reverse of the "sour grapes" or I guess it could be a "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade", not sure if those phrases are correctly applied here but hopefully you get the gist.

Reactions: Nucky10

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not that i disagree with you, but I believe most of the attitude for this is because once he became drafted, I found (from personal experience) that many Habs fans became very defensive over the pick and started searching out every possible justification that he was supposed to be projected as a #3 pick. Virtually none of them wanted to admit the pick was a reach at all. I'm sure there is a phrase for it, but just reverse of the "sour grapes" or I guess it could be a "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade", not sure if those phrases are correctly applied here but hopefully you get the gist.

Check the Habs draft thread. He was a favorite of many for the third pick before the draft. There's nothing to admit there except to correct uninformed posters, such as yourself.

Reactions: Ookhaab

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Check the Habs draft thread. He was a favorite of many for the third pick before the draft. There's nothing to admit there except to correct uninformed posters, such as yourself.
That's very different from him being projected as a #3 pick.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
can’t speak from other fan but you can go check my previous post, i want us to draft kotkaniemi since april****... and was never a fan of zadina.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yet we know a number of teams had him top 5.

Again, this is repeating the same things over and over.
A number of teams having him as #5 is very different from him being projected as the #3 pick.

You have to realize how much the narration changed between the season's end(When the players no longer played any games) and after Habs got #3 on the lottery. Kotkaniemi started shooting up in the rankings significantly after that lottery result - Most likely because these scouts and talking heads caught wind of Habs contemplating on picking him #3. But go ahead and take a look at the rankings before the lottery took place and see where Kotkaniemi was.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
A number of teams having him as #5 is very different from him being projected as the #3 pick.

You have to realize how much the narration changed between the season's end(When the players no longer played any games) and after Habs got #3 on the lottery. Kotkaniemi started shooting up in the rankings significantly after that lottery result - Most likely because these scouts and talking heads caught wind of Habs contemplating on picking him #3. But go ahead and take a look at the rankings before the lottery took place and see where Kotkaniemi was.
ok now explain to me how a consensus 3rd overall for MONTHS slips to 6OV, double standard it goes both ways. It just means that team view player differently, every team has their own list and that all the Website you read and Medias who makes their own boards without being a scouts are biased.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Who rated him out of the Top-10 (end of season)?

ISS had him @16
Future Considerations had him @ 13
McKeen's had him @ 13
NHL central scouting had him @ 6 for euro skaters

McKenzie had him @ 5

It was widely acknowledged that the Habs were leaning heavily towards picking him @ 3 in the weeks leading up to the draft. I think most Habs fans sold themselves on the pick when that news came out. Of course I don't venture into the team sections of the forums so I only know what Habs fans around me say.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
ISS had him @16
Future Considerations had him @ 13
McKeen's had him @ 13
NHL central scouting had him @ 6 for euro skaters

McKenzie had him @ 5

It was widely acknowledged that the Habs were leaning heavily towards picking him @ 3 in the weeks leading up to the draft. I think most Habs fans sold themselves on the pick when that news came out. Of course I don't venture into the team sections of the forums so I only know what Habs fans around me say.
McKenzie had him @5 because 10 teams had him in their top 5ish. His list is based on head scouts lists.

Sorry to shit on your narrative.

Reactions: Ookhaab

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
can’t speak from other fan but you can go check my previous post, i want us to draft kotkaniemi since april****... and was never a fan of zadina.

Like I said that's fair. But just like how the fans i know don't represent all Habs fans, you are your own individual. That's why I didn't say "all fans". Just specifically the ones i know personally. Its not that I don't like the pick, I think the Habs made a correct pick. But That doesn't mean I don't think its still a reach pick given the risk of the pick.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Who rated him out of the Top-10 (end of season)?

Final pre-draft rankings were....

Ranked #8 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #13 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #16 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #13 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #6 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #5 by TSN/McKenzie

Reactions: MasterMatt25

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Final pre-draft rankings were....

Ranked #8 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #13 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #16 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #13 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #6 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #5 by TSN/McKenzie
Most Habs fans wanted and still want Zadina, if they say otherwise they just blocked out everyone else, but no one is mad at Jesperi. He's still a very good prospect and Timmins and our scouts are usually very good at finding talent, so we're trusting them to have made the best choice.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
McKenzie had him @5 because 10 teams had him in their top 5ish. His list is based on head scouts lists.

Sorry to **** on your narrative.

We don't know that 10 teams had him as #5, thats just his conclusion from surveying 10 scouts. Also we don't know what the other 20 scouts had him at. It could be higher or lower. Given his ranking from other sources, it would be more logical to infer he is a reach pick than a concensus #3 pick.

https://www.tsn.ca/kc-1.1115400 - references his survey of 10 scouts.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Most Habs fans wanted and still want Zadina, if they say otherwise they just blocked out everyone else, but no one is mad at Jesperi. He's still a very good prospect and Timmins and our scouts are usually very good at finding talent, so we're trusting them to have made the best choice.

Yeah and i mean as a Wings fan, I'm happy u guys got Kotka, cuz it meant Zads fell to us. I'm just saying Kotka is a bit a of a reach if we consider his rankings pre-draft. I don't get why some fans are just so defensive about the fact I'm calling it a reach pick.

Schiefle was a reach pick and look how well he turned out. Its not a bad thing, its just saying there is risk on that player based on projects from multiple sources.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Yeah and i mean as a Wings fan, I'm happy u guys got Kotka, cuz it meant Zads fell to us. I'm just saying Kotka is a bit a of a reach if we consider his rankings pre-draft. I don't get why some fans are just so defensive about the fact I'm calling it a reach pick.

Schiefle was a reach pick and look how well he turned out. Its not a bad thing, its just saying there is risk on that player based on projects from multiple sources.
He was definitely a reach for 3, but not as much of a reach as originally expected.

Reactions: tfong
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad