C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
But to answer your question. For example, Kopitar on the wing would not be as successful as Kopitar at center. Ovechkin at center would not drive his line and would be in the minus. So I don't think you can ask that question when comparing 2 prospects.

Kotkaniemi has a Liiga season under his belt on the wing in his draft year, Zadina played on the wing in his draft year. I think it's totally fair to ask people to compare the two as wingers isn't it? You don't even have to use your imagination.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kotkaniemi has a Liiga season under his belt on the wing in his draft year, Zadina played on the wing in his draft year. I think it's totally fair to ask people to compare the two as wingers isn't it? You don't even have to use your imagination.
Kotkaniemi's played C internationally though, and was a C in juniors also.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
He's always been a C except this year and plays a center-suited game, whereas Zadina has always played wing and plays like a true sniping winger.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Can we just put the bloody Zadina nonsense to bed?
3 offensively starved teams in the Habs, Sens, and Yotes all passed up on the supposedly best pure goalscorer of the draft. All 3 were ranked in the bottom 5 in GF. Even the nucks were willing to pass up on him, another offensively challenged team.

If u like Zadina, go to his board and rave about him ffs. Us Habs fans, at least most of us, love this pick.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Can we just put the bloody Zadina nonsense to bed?
3 offensively starved teams in the Habs, Sens, and Yotes all passed up on the supposedly best pure goalscorer of the draft. All 3 were ranked in the bottom 5 in GF. Even the nucks were willing to pass up on him, another offensively challenged team.

If u like Zadina, go to his board and rave about him ffs. Us Habs fans, at least most of us, love this pick.

It's great to hear how he's being projected as a Habs fan. All signs point to him playing center from here on out, but that's not 100%. I don't hate the pick and it wasn't a huge reach, but why is it crazy to ask how he projects on the wing?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It's great to hear how he's being projected as a Habs fan. All signs point to him playing center from here on out, but that's not 100%. I don't hate the pick and it wasn't a huge reach, but why is it crazy to ask how he projects on the wing?

Because that's not where he projects as a player...

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Stop bringing up zadina

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Just ask Wahlstrom and Hughes how he was playing center against them in the U18 final.

Total domination! What a great game it was from that Kakko-Kotkaniemi-Nordgren line. Wouldn't be mad if we get Kakko instead of a center next year, if we get a top pick.

disappointedhab

Jul 19, 2018
Total domination! What a great game it was from that Kakko-Kotkaniemi-Nordgren line. Wouldn't be mad if we get Kakko instead of a center next year, if we get a top pick.

Exactly, people are quick to say that Kotk hasn't proven himself at center, when he has against good competition as well.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

if you wanna compare that way, it works both side!

Zadina in his draft-1 season he's only 3month younger than Kotkaniemi in his draft season.

Zadina in his draft-1 posted up 2 points in 20 match in the czech league wich is comparable to the liiga, where at basicly the same age had 29 pts in 58 game.

now how many points kotkaniemi would have put up in the Q as a winger, Center or whatever you want?

not hating on Zadina, i never was a fan of him, i think he's a unidimensional complimentary winger who isn't strong on the puck even against 16years old guys in the Q, he could barely win a puck battle at 200lbs... to me that was concerning and i've been saying it way before the draft happened. things can change he could end up the steal of the draft. but i would have drafted kotkaniemi 10 times out of 10.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I did, I chimed in already, hes not going to be a winger.

I get it, he's going to be used at C next season in Liiga and hopefully going forward in Montreal as well. Got it, been told this a million times. If I'm totally off base to ask how Kotkaniemi looked as a winger last year in Liiga then I apologize for asking a dumb question, some of us don't get to see Liiga games. Personally I don't think it's crazy to ask how a player played at a position they played 57 games at in their draft year...but I guess that is a touchy subject for some.

if you wanna compare that way, it works both side!

How does that work both ways? The wingers taken in the top 12 played 0 games at center last year.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
.... well-educated Red Wings fans have the capacity to better judge prospects based on the amount of great players that have skated for the team. Seeing as they typically watch their team more than most others, they have seen more great players on a consistent basis than most other fans can/do.
This is possibly the bestest post I've ever seen here!!! :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I get it, he's going to be used at C next season in Liiga and hopefully going forward in Montreal as well. Got it, been told this a million times. If I'm totally off base to ask how Kotkaniemi looked as a winger last year in Liiga then I apologize for asking a dumb question, some of us don't get to see Liiga games. Personally I don't think it's crazy to ask how a player played at a position they played 57 games at in their draft year...but I guess that is a touchy subject for some.

How does that work both ways? The wingers taken in the top 12 played 0 games at center last year.

He played good enough to get him drafted 3rd overall as a winger. Hes played C at every international tourney he was in, hell play C in the u20s this year, if he was a winger, hed play wing, like Ikonen.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Can anyone who watched him play wing in Liiga with Assat chime in here and talk about his play on the wing? I only saw him at center in international tournaments.

TheRocket87

Nov 26, 2010
Can anyone who watched him play wing in Liiga with Assat chime in here and talk about his play on the wing? I only saw him at center in international tournaments.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi Archives - ProspectShifts.com

Check these shift by shifts yourself.

I saw all his Liiga games last season and was surprised and disappointed that we took him so high.

He was a completely different animal in junior NT games though.

Not gonna go any deeper after the shit that went down on the Habs board.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I dont get what you are trying to accomplish here, he played wing because he was a rookie this season, hes never played wing anywhere else in his life. He did take some shifts at C BTW, it wasnt exclusively wing.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

If he can't stick at center he's basically a bust. The Canadiens f***ed up big time taking a potential center over the vastly superior BPA and winger in Zadina.

Is that the answer ytou were looking for?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
- "Montreal reached for him, he should not have gone that high"
- Arguments
- "Filip Zadina is a better player"
- Arguments
- "He might not be a center"
- Arguments

Repeat in no particular order.

Us habs fan are fun to argue with, i get it. You're welcome :)

Reactions: ottawa

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I dont get what you are trying to accomplish here, he played wing because he was a rookie this season, hes never played wing anywhere else in his life. He did take some shifts at C BTW, it wasnt exclusively wing.

I'm trying to gauge how he plays as a winger. Cause he played wing last year...this isn't rocket science, if you indeed watched him play last year in Liiga as you claimed you could answer this easily.

If he can't stick at center he's basically a bust. The Canadiens ****ed up big time taking a potential center over the vastly superior BPA and winger in Zadina.

Is that the answer ytou were looking for?

I have no idea how you think this answers the question I asked. It actually has zero mention of how he looked last year in Liiga.

Thank you very much. This is exactly what I'm asking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad