C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Count me as someone who wanted Zadina over Kotkaniemi. I had Zadina 3rd and Kotkaniemi 8th, not a huge difference, but enough to be disappointed with the pick.

Who is more likely to be a better player if Kotkaniemi stayed on the wing?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Certainly looked sluggish vs. The Czechs the other day. Skating seems to be a major issue for Kotkaniemi. Luckily the hockey sense/IQ is there and the skating is an issue that can be worked on.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Certainly looked sluggish vs. The Czechs the other day. Skating seems to be a major issue for Kotkaniemi. Luckily the hockey sense/IQ is there and the skating is an issue that can be worked on.
He looked pretty good during the game Monday, yesterdays game the whole Finland team looked off. He made some pretty good plays with the puck at both ends of the ice, his skating looks fine when he's up to speed, but his first few steps could use some work, but I wouldn't put too much stock into a summer warm-up game.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
So you don't see any scenario where he would end up on the wing?

His Finland team, Assat, guaranteed he will be a top 6 center next year (if he goes back). Considering their coach is his dad, chances are slim to none that he will play the wing next year if he goes back to Liiga. Having seen him play a lot, his playing style fits the position of center perfectly. Hopefully he will progress into a good one.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
His Finland team, Assat, guaranteed he will be a top 6 center next year (if he goes back). Considering their coach is his dad, chances are slim to none that he will play the wing next year if he goes back to Liiga. Having seen him play a lot, his playing style fits the position of center perfectly. Hopefully he will progress into a good one.

What does his Assat team have to do with Montreal? Or are you implying his dad will come over and coach him in Montreal?

**IF** he doesn't work out at C, how does he compare to other wingers in this draft, particularly Zadina?

I get that C is a more valuable position than W, which is what people use to justify having him rated higher than the other players around his draft position. I'm asking without positional value how he would compare.

Geez, everyone is so butt hurt in here.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Shit would have to hit the fan, yeah.

Maybe if we get Hughes and Poehling keeps developping nicely? Anyhow, him being able to play wing shouldnt be a negative, its a plus.

He was behind the play all game, dominated play in the game the day before. Preseason of preseason though.

What does his Assat team have to do with Montreal? Or are you implying his dad will come over and coach him in Montreal?

**IF** he doesn't work out at C, how does he compare to other wingers in this draft, particularly Zadina?

I get that C is a more valuable position than W, which is what people use to justify having him rated higher than the other players around his draft position. I'm asking without positional value how he would compare.

Lets establish what you think both players bring as qualities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I admittedly haven't seen Kotkaniemi play outside of international tourny's. That's why I'm asking people who have seen him in Liiga as a winger.
Kotkaniemi would be a guy that wins board battles, cycle the puck effectively, plays good defense, provides playmaking from the wing and is able to score goals from outside and inside the hashmarks.

Zadina can score from the hashmarks at an elite rate, he does nothing else.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Kotkaniemi would be a guy that wins board battles, cycle the puck effectively, plays good defense, provides playmaking from the wing and is able to score goals from outside and inside the hashmarks.

Zadina can score from the hashmarks at an elite rate, he does nothing else.

This reeks of bias, so where did you have Zadina ranked in the draft?

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
He looked pretty good during the game Monday, yesterdays game the whole Finland team looked off. He made some pretty good plays with the puck at both ends of the ice, his skating looks fine when he's up to speed, but his first few steps could use some work, but I wouldn't put too much stock into a summer warm-up game.
Where can you watch these games?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Where can you watch these games?
Head on over the Habs board, watch for he summer showcase thread, theres lots of videos and we post live feed when theres a game.

That doesn't appear to be the case. Certain individuals on this specific thread seem more interested in a flame war than an actual discussion. Hence my refrain from bothering to acknowledge their existence passed a point. Thanks for your response and invitation, though.
Youd draft Rasmussen "as high as 5 in a redraft" oh ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
5th behind Boqvist and Kotkaniemi.

I mean, he can score off the rush and he can make passes but thats not his value as a player.

So according to you, you had Zadina ranked ahead of players like Tkachuk & Hayton even though you think he's a one-dimensional player who's only value will be scoring goals from the hash-marks? I don't even know what to say here...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So according to you, you had Zadina ranked ahead of players like Tkachuk & Hayton even though you think he's a one-dimensional player who's only value will be scoring goals from the hash-marks? I don't even know what to say here...

Brady and Barret dont have the offensige skillset Zadina or Kotkaniemi possesses.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Brady and Barret dont have the offensige skillset Zadina or Kotkaniemi possesses.

But Zadina can only score goals from the hash-marks according to you. So Tkachuk can only score from the crease? I'm trying to wrap my head around how you have these guys rated.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

I'm sorry if you thought I was butt hurt; I was not. I also re-read my comment and I still fail to see what I said that triggered you. I thought you were talking about next year. Montreal sees him as a center just like most people who saw him play. Like I said, his style is perfect for that position. With the need we have down the middle, I just can't see how we would send him on the wing. Galchenyuk was not put on the wing just because they felt like it. Galchenyuk was not good defensively and lacked hockey IQ which are Kotkaniemi's strenght... at 17 years old.

But to answer your question. For example, Kopitar on the wing would not be as successful as Kopitar at center. Ovechkin at center would not drive his line and would be in the minus. So I don't think you can ask that question when comparing 2 prospects.

Last edited:

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Brady cant score much, as evidenced by his poor numbers in his amateur career.

He scored 12 goals, 1 more than he had assists in 2016-17 with the junior US development program and put up 25 with the national development team though. Sure he only had 8 last year against men but that's still a better rate than Kotkaniemi scored at against men.

We get it, your high on Kotkaniemi. But your bias is showing hardcore.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He scored 12 goals, 1 more than he had assists in 2016-17 with the junior US development program and put up 25 with the national development team though. Sure he only had 8 last year against men but that's still a better rate than Kotkaniemi scored at against men.

We get it, your high on Kotkaniemi. But your bias is showing hardcore.
I was high on Kotkaniemi before he was a Hab though, had him at 4 since about febuary.

Also
Ncaa
Men

Choose one.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Who is more likely to be a better player if Kotkaniemi stayed on the wing?

Sorry, I didn't mean to get pissy. I asked how he would compare to Zadina if both are on the wing. You just happened to jump into the reply I had for Mrb1p when he stated there was no way he would be a winger.

I guess I should have said that I wasn't asking about next year only.

Reactions: Acadien86

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sorry, I didn't mean to get pissy. I asked how he would compare to Zadina if both are on the wing. You just happened to jump into the reply I had for Mrb1p when he stated there was no way he would be a winger.

I guess I should have said that I wasn't asking about next year only.
I doubt he ends up a winger though, the organisation learned from Galchenyuk ( whos most likely going to be a C now in Arizona) and theres nothing in the pipeline. As I said, unless the habs draft Hughes.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I'm sorry if you thought I was butt hurt; I was not. I also re-read my comment and I still fail to see what I said that triggered you. I thought you were talking about next year. Montreal sees him as a center just like most people who saw him play. Like I said, his style is perfect for that position. With the need we have down the middle, I just can't see how we would send him on the wing. Galchenyuk was not put on the wing just because they felt like it. Galchenyuk was not good defensively and lacked hockey IQ which are Kotkaniemi's strenght... at 17 years old.

But to answer your question. For example, Kopitar on the wing would not be as successful as Kopitar at center. Ovechkin at center would not drive his line and would be in the minus. So I don't think you can ask that question when comparing 2 prospects.

IQ wasn't really Galchenyuk's achilles' heel to play at centre, he just lacked effort big time and never learned that, for whatever reason. But otherwise, this post is spot on.

Reactions: Acadien86
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad