C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Once you see him modifying "his game" just to avoid mistakes or just to stay in an NHL line up, then you send him back. That's like Sergachev 2 years ago. If you see him struggle a bit but you see that he is learning, that he is actually progressing facets of his game and not playing timid, then I think he should stay.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's had the toughest possible start to his NHL career and hasn't gotten embarrassed, I'd say that's pretty damm impressive for massive reach.

Sounds like the vets want to help Kotka as much as possible and he won't get that level of teaching/experience from Liiga this year.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
So literally no reason to send him down, really. Let him develop in the NHL if he can handle it.

Incorrect. Less challenging environment with more ice time and more prominent role is much better for trying new things and gaining confidence in them. As is, there is more incentive to stick to what he knows and what is safe. This is just so basic, just because he can "handle it" doesn't mean it's the best developmental option for him. So no, the conclusion you are drawing doesn't logically follow from the bolded part of my post.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Incorrect. Less challenging environment with more ice time and more prominent role is much better for trying new things and gaining confidence in them. As is, there is more incentive to stick to what he knows and what is safe. This is just so basic, just because he can "handle it" doesn't mean it's the best developmental option for him. So no, the conclusion you are drawing doesn't logically follow from the bolded part of my post.
Some players dont respond well to go down to AHL. Development might even be halted.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Playing against the best 15mins a night is better than playing 2-3mins more in a inferior league, as long as he gets to play in offensive sitations/gets to have the puck.

Reactions: Kearns

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Some players dont respond well to go down to AHL. Development might even be halted.

Playing against the best 15mins a night is better than playing 2-3mins more in a inferior league, as long as he gets to play in offensive sitations/gets to have the puck.

You can disagree with me about the best option for Kotka, and that's fair. I was responding to a post that implied that NHL is always the right answer as long as the prospect isn't dead weight at that level. That's just false.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
do you think he is gonna get 9 plus games this year? I'm assuming he will since he's looked pretty good

His old team Ässät hasn't won in 10 consecutive games IIRC, myself and a good portion of our fanbase wanted to see him back in Finland after 9 games but I think most of us realize it's not a good place for him to be given Ässät's current state.

I think it'll be either NHL or AHL for him...my preference is AHL but my guess is NHL. He's our best forward (maybe 2nd after Domi)

Reactions: bl02

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He’s definitely good enough for the NHL and doesn’t look out of place on a top 6.

I’d still rather have him in Finland right now.

Reactions: lawrence

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What do you mean? I personally don't think he was invisible, maybe on the score sheet. I think he was our best forward tonight, but that's not saying much lol.
Just wondering since you said Tkachuk was invisible in Boston.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Just wondering since you said Tkachuk was invisible in Boston.

I personally didn't notice him much but sometimes it's not bad to be invisible, that just means you're keeping up with everyone and not making mistakes and at 18 nonetheless.

Either way, he followed up with a pretty deadly game against Philly...2g + 1a for an 18 year old in his 2nd game is insane.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't know why the hell Julien just decided early on to replace him by Plek, a healthy scratch level player, who got scored then 5 seconds later.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I don't feel like it's necessary for Kotkaniemi to be in the NHL right now. He obviously lacks strength and falls down quite often. The skills are there and he has nice speed but I can't see him producing that much, especially as the games will get tougher in the later part of the year.

I would not send him back to Finland. He's been in NA for a month now and improving. Laval should be his next stop. From what I have seen, he should be a point per game player right now in the AHL. The Habs are gonna lose anyway, and Laval looks good. Might as well just go down there, dominate and maybe win a championship.

He has a taste of the NHL now. I feel like as soon as next season, after a summer of working out, he could score 50+ pts. He will be stronger and faster. A breakout should be in the cards. He has everything it takes. But this season should be about development.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
"Management is conducting a game-by-game evaluation of Kotkaniemi and is extremely pleased with what they’ve seen so far. The Finn is being heavily sheltered by coach Claude Julien – he’s taken 23 faceoffs in the offensive zone, 18 faceoffs in the neutral zone and just two faceoffs in the defensive zone – but the Canadiens have been absolutely dominant in shot attempts (67.09 per cent), high-danger scoring chances (76.92 per cent) and every other metric with him on the ice at even strength, per naturalstattrick.com.
They’ve outscored opponents 2-0 in his 5-on-5 minutes as well."

Beyond the Headlines: Why Leafs' Nylander hasn't received an offer sheet - Sportsnet.ca

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
His advanced stats are godly, he's been one the best analytics forwards in the league so far. Problem is he's had a few posts and offensively he doesn't look fully comfortable yet, still adjusting i guess.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
During Saturdays game (VGK-PHI) our guy (Antti Mäkinen) said that Kotka and his mom have moved to a house from a hotel,
so he is definitely staying in Montreal, that is...if what he said was true and not a rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad