C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Didn't see the game, but happy to read he was good. However, FO% at 14% is not an acceptable stat for a top 2 center, even against Matthews/Tavares/Kadri. Fortunately, FO skills is something eminently teachable (see Crosby, Matthews, etc)... Hopefully they will ask Plekanec to show him a few tricks.
I did notice that in the latter half of the game they would have someone else take the draw.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I thought he was ok, clearly he's very smart and that's great to see. Think he just needs to work on getting stronger, improving his skating and get quicker.

Domi was easily the best Hab, not even close.

member 157595

I was impressed by this kid last night, and I was one of those people that thought Montreal drafted for need and not for BPA.

That last part still may end up being true in the end, but I do think they got themselves a player. He's smart and very mature. Give him the 9 games and see how he handles it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Didn't see the game, but happy to read he was good. However, FO% at 14% is not an acceptable stat for a top 2 center, even against Matthews/Tavares/Kadri. Fortunately, FO skills is something eminently teachable (see Crosby, Matthews, etc)... Hopefully they will ask Plekanec to show him a few tricks.
FO% at 14% and yet 66% corsi. What do you do with FO%, anyway? Impact corsi, right?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
FO% at 14% and yet 66% corsi. What do you do with FO%, anyway? Impact corsi, right?

Like I said, did not see the game and it looks like the kid did well. However, I still think a good NHL center should not go below 45% FO wins (over long period of time, of course). While not crucial, starting with possession is quite important in hockey.

Corsi is a ratio of shot attempts at even play... I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level
Like I said, did not see the game and it looks like the kid did well. However, I still think a good NHL center should not go below 45% FO wins (over long period of time, of course). While not crucial, starting with possession is quite important in hockey.

Corsi is a ratio of shot attempts at even play... I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

under 45% last season: McDavid, Malkin, MacKinnon, Kuznetsov, Barzal, Marchessault...

(edit: of course he needs to practice it, a lot, but that number doesn't tell you who is a 'good NHL center' and who isn't)

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He played wing last season, 1st season as a C in a mens league and right now it happens to be NHL.

It's going to take time.

Reactions: Trilliann

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
under 45% last season: McDavid, Malkin, MacKinnon, Kuznetsov, Barzal, Marchessault...

(edit: of course he needs to practice it, a lot, but that number doesn't tell you who is a 'good NHL center' and who isn't)
Also Scheifele, Barkov and Matthews had around that or even worse percentage in their first NHL seasons. If he will get around 45%, it would be in fact relatively respectable for an 18 year rookie center. Of course he needs to become better with his faceoffs, but by no means he is going to be too long as bad as he probably was with them in his first game.

Reactions: SantaClaus

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

Faceoffs are a learned skill in the NHL, very few (I would imagine almost none) rookies break into the NHL and have immediate success at faceoffs. Strength also plays a big factor. If faceoffs are his biggest shortcoming right now, he is off to a very, very good start.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

If this play was intentional then his hockey sense is through the roof... it looks more like a lucky pick (not intentional) by his teammate stopped Kapanen from potentially poking the puck from Kotkaniemi and going in on a breakaway. I'm not sure Kotkaniemi knew that the leaf player was right behind him.

Reactions: LAINEC

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If this play was intentional then his hockey sense is through the roof... it looks more like a lucky pick (not intentional) by his teammate stopped Kapanen from potentially poking the puck from Kotkaniemi and going in on a breakaway. I'm not sure Kotkaniemi knew that the leaf player was right behind him.
After watching Kotkaniemi, you'll notice that he seemingly always does those "lucky" thing, I think most of the time it's not luck. It's just him being a damn good player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn’t worry too much about faceoffs at this point. Put him out with a line mate who can take key face offs and let him just concentrate on adjusting to the NHL game. Most young players have to work on faceoffs.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I thought he was ok, clearly he's very smart and that's great to see. Think he just needs to work on getting stronger, improving his skating and get quicker.

Domi was easily the best Hab, not even close.

He was ok? I have to disagree here....

18 year old Kotkaniemi had a 68.8 CF% against Matthews and Tavares all night.
That is insane. @BWildeGlobal
— Patrick Tallon (@PatrickTallon81) October 4, 2018

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

I think Kotka would have passed it way before it got to the breakaway point, he has tons of room to clear the puck as soon as he'd feel the danger of someone closing in on him unless his peripherals are broken. You're underrating basic hockey sense even a 4th liner could handle.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think Kotka would have passed it way before it got to the breakaway point, he has tons of room to clear the puck as soon as he'd feel the danger of someone closing in on him unless his peripherals are broken. You're underrating basic hockey sense even a 4th liner could handle.

Haha basic.... Are you aware of the amount of "basic" blueline plays like thid that regularly result in breakways for opposing team?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Haha basic.... Are you aware of the amount of "basic" blueline plays like thid that regularly result in breakways for opposing team?

I know there's no count but I imagine most blueline plays don't result in breakaways considering there are nights when the entire league doesn't see a breakaway as a result of a pokecheck/giveaway

Broadslayer

Oct 4, 2018
You know you’re a good player when FO’s is the only thing to talk about.

He’s a damn fine player. MTL finally has a 1C to look forward to

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad